• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
This decision by Steve is regrettable but understandable, but it actually makes the managers job a little easier. He will not have now to deal with the awkward decision of first choice keeper and how to keep the back up keeper happy all season. That is assuming the "new" keeper is as good as Steve but able to play the whole season, we hope. Collin has been used to being a second choice which does not mean he likes it.

Post season, particularly for a team with our circumstances, there is always targets we miss out on and first team players who move on.

The following is said, not as criticism just presetenting my opinion.

Appreciate that he was player of the season in 21/22 in the worst squad I've seen in the 35 years following the blues. A team that finished 13th in Non league.

Steve played 11 games last season.

Thank you for your service Steve, but as with Rhys earlier this week, I don't think it is impossible to upgrade.

A little bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss.

This isn't Bentley, Royce or Sansome leaving.

Does anyone else think we are using the embargo to get rid of players that are out of contract that we don't want to offer new contracts to? Once they are gone things will get going transfer wise?

I am sure we could have offered Arnie a deal but not registered him until the embargo is ended. My guess is we are going for Justham so Arnie is surplus anyway and using the embargo is the easiest way of letting players go.

'Sorry Steve, we are under an embargo so can't offer you terms' sounds better than 'Sorry Steve, we don't want you any more'

Does anyone else think we are using the embargo to get rid of players that are out of contract that we don't want to offer new contracts to? Once they are gone things will get going transfer wise?

I am sure we could have offered Arnie a deal but not registered him until the embargo is ended. My guess is we are going for Justham so Arnie is surplus anyway and using the embargo is the easiest way of letting players go.

'Sorry Steve, we are under an embargo so can't offer you terms' sounds better than 'Sorry Steve, we don't want you any more'

Given in the knows are saying we have offered terms to bridge for example, sort of makes this a moot point.

I'd also imagine that Kev and Co act like adults in this situation, and not bull**** the players.

It's more likely that they have identified that commiting a bloke who played 11 games last season, wasn't the wisest move and have done the right thing.

Top bloke Steve, always used to come and fist bump my Junior Blues flag bearers as he came off the pitch in warm up. Things like that mean so much to the youngsters.

An outstanding first season with us, where he deservedly won every accolade going (apart from goal of the season!), it's a credit to him that he came through what was strongly rumoured to be a career ending injury in his 2nd season to actually get back out on the pitch towards the end. Just such a shame it coincided with that awful run that cost us the play off place. Wish him well, wherever he's going.

Sad but probably inevitable, the Justham rumour is more than just a rumour from what I have heard, he would have been here already if the embargo had been lifted.
Good luck Steve.

This is a shame - but if he’s been offered a couple of years elsewhere you can’t blame him.

if It is Justham we’re after, I can’t wait to see what he has that Arnold doesn’t.

What, you mean like actually be available to play?

In all seriousness though, gutted to see Steve leave. He was excellent during his first season and was unfortunate to miss most of last otherwise I think we could have finished in at least the playoffs. Great chant as well.

Consistent performer and really nice bloke. Disappointed to lose him, but we have to move on and cannot afford to dwell on the past. That way we will keep improving.

Given in the knows are saying we have offered terms to bridge for example, sort of makes this a moot point.

I'd also imagine that Kev and Co act like adults in this situation, and not bull**** the players.

It's more likely that they have identified that commiting a bloke who played 11 games last season, wasn't the wisest move and have done the right thing.
I get your point and it's a valid one. He had an injury that took ages to work out and resolve. I don't think he's particularly injury prone and when on form was a good keeper but with 'allegedly' Justham on the way, I guess Steve would have been happy to move to a L2 club.

Arnold is a shoe in for POTY.

I can’t remember the last time I walked away from a football match, and have been impressed by a goalkeeping performance as much as I was on Tuesday night.

You could take the saves out of the performance if you wish, it was his command of his 18 yard box.

You don’t see it much on the highlights, but his starting position on the deep and wide free kicks that Bromley had, was exceptional. He was holding a high line, sometimes 7/8 yards from goal, meaning the free kick taker was having to put his delivery further away from goal, reducing the threat they carried.

He misjudged one, he ever so slightly juggled one, and punch one. Everything else was claimed so comfortably, and when you have a goalkeeper who is prepared to do that, it makes defenders lives so much easier, knowing your keeper will come and claim the ball meaning you don’t have to stick your head in.

He is a football league goalkeeper, and my mate and I debated after the game, how he ranks with keepers since Flahavan. I use him, as he was number 1 for a long time when I started watching.

I thought Bentley would play top flight football, and even sniff around the England squad at one stage when he moved on from us. But I don’t think I ever saw a dominant, commanding performance from him as I did Arnold on Tuesday night.

This was a post I did after the Bromley home match in the 21/22 season re Arnold.

Personally, I think if that version of Arnold played 40 plus games this season for us we’d have comfortably made the play-offs.

I’m not knocking Collin or Blondy here, but Arnold was exceptional that season.

He is a loss, but one that was to be expected. I’m glad he has found himself a club in the football league, and he leaves here with my very best wishes. He isn’t irreplaceable, but we need to bring in Kev’s number 1 target, otherwise it will be a downgrade I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back