• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
You'd think around 13,000.
From memory, the total gross capacity is around 12,300, but we are probably limited to 12k with segregation, before we consider any restrictions imposed by the safety certificate or any possible reduction owing to transport plans etc...

In my mind, I'm adding around 3k to that figure with those proposals.

Even better. Do you think we're stuck with the south stand, considering the space limitations?
I wouldn't touch the South Stand - as rickety as it looks, it is the most modern part of the ground, and we couldn't yield any more capacity out of it. Best to refurbish, focusing on re-introducing at least 2 x kiosks upstairs and renovating the toilets and SW food bar.

I have mentioned the idea of converting the South Lower to an intimate safe-standing area for home fans, should the North need to be retained for away use, either in part of full. That would lose some capacity, but we should still be able to achieve 15k net.

If that happened when-ever, it would be nice to not have all the stanchion posts that obscure parts of the pitch.
Like with the South, I'd be reluctant to do anything wholesale to the West Structure (aside of essential maintenance works to the frame and roof cladding).

What we could do to improve comfort and safety is to cast a new concrete terrace over the existing - this is what we did at Portsmouth on the North Stand lower.

I am sure players will be pleased if the "drop" off the grass onto the perimeter is no longer.
I still fear for them following the accident/ injury to our "new" centre back 20 plus years ago when he broke things in front of the north bank. Iirc he never played again and I wish I could remember his name.
The plans remind me also of Ewood Park from when they had an old wooden main stand and replaced that ( replaced the lot!) While moving pitch slightly and widening it all.

So, I've had a very crude play with scaling on my lunch hour....this is the result...

Move the pitch 5m toward the East - this improves the sightlines from the existing West Stand without touching anything.

North Stand re-developed to provide a mild uplift from circa 2k to 2.5k, and incoporating safe-standing.

East Stand rebuilt, with dimensions very crudely estimated to provide a capacity of around 5,500 and a couple of floors of mixed-use/hospitality space.

NE corner is optional, but might be more for architectural merit than any great increase in useful real estate.

View attachment 29264
Thanks for this Sherif. The pitch move is an interesting one as I generally prefer a closer pitch to the stands, I'm intrigued if most people would be happier if it was 5m further away? Maybe doing that would give us more scope to improve that stand?

Also I think 15k capacity is more than enough for the foreseeable future, would this be a hard limit do you think or could you envisage the East Stand being built in such a way that it could be extended further in 10-15 years should the unlikely best case scenario happen and we need it?

I am sure players will be pleased if the "drop" off the grass onto the perimeter is no longer.
I still fear for them following the accident/ injury to our "new" centre back 20 plus years ago when he broke things in front of the north bank. Iirc he never played again and I wish I could remember his name.
The plans remind me also of Ewood Park from when they had an old wooden main stand and replaced that ( replaced the lot!) While moving pitch slightly and widening it all.

Julian Bennett

Thanks for this Sherif. The pitch move is an interesting one as I generally prefer a closer pitch to the stands, I'm intrigued if most people would be happier if it was 5m further away? Maybe doing that would give us more scope to improve that stand?

Also I think 15k capacity is more than enough for the foreseeable future, would this be a hard limit do you think or could you envisage the East Stand being built in such a way that it could be extended further in 10-15 years should the unlikely best case scenario happen and we need it?
It is counter-intuitive where sightlines are concerned.
If you move spectators closer to the pitch, you need to increase the rake of the terrace to retain suitable sightlines. The West Stand is relatively shallow, so by moving the pitch Eastwards, you improve sightlines for everybody without having to do much.

I would however propose overlaying a new terrace directly on the West Stand and increasing the rake mildly in the process. This will provide consistent tread depths for every row and facilitate the installation of new seating / safe-standing to Block X (potentially).

Talk of removing columns is not realistic. To do that, you have to then support the massive loads of the roof by another means - in this instance it would likely require the introduction of an enormous steel truss running the full length of the front edge of the roof, and even then, it would probably still need some intermediate support.

Will the renovation work entail ground sharing for a while, if so suggestions with who? Orient as we seem ok fan wise?
Doubt it. Can redevelop each stand in phases and reduce any impact of capacity reduction by handing over completed sections during the season.

I'm guessing the south stand would be the last one to have anything done, as its basically ok and just needs a tart up. would be an ideal away-end.

East stand has got to be turned into a money maker, with decent corporate hospitality, conference rooms, function area & so on.

I guess there's only so far £20m will go (if Ron actually coughs up) but hopefully the consortium boys have got deep pockets and will add to it.

I wonder what the planned capacity is? Under the FF plans I hated the reduced 16000 option, it looked plain awful & souless. But if RH could be increased to around that figure that would be ideal and would at least be adequate for the Championship, which has to be a target.

Interesting and exciting times thats for sure!

So, I've had a very crude play with scaling on my lunch hour....this is the result...

Move the pitch 5m toward the East - this improves the sightlines from the existing West Stand without touching anything.

North Stand re-developed to provide a mild uplift from circa 2k to 2.5k, and incoporating safe-standing.

East Stand rebuilt, with dimensions very crudely estimated to provide a capacity of around 5,500 and a couple of floors of mixed-use/hospitality space.

NE corner is optional, but might be more for architectural merit than any great increase in useful real estate.

View attachment 29264
That'll do me. Especially safe standing in the North, if it can be worked out to return it to home fans. Shove the away fans in the NW corner with their own access via Fairfax Drive.

Out of interest @Sherif H is the East stand here a single tier or two tier construction?

View attachment 29264
Do you think the West seating could be "re-scoped" bringing it closer to the pitch with some more leg space and room?

Sorry if it's previously been mentioned but do we have the room to turn the pitch 90 degrees and look to completely renovate the ground? I know this is probably unaffordable but interested to know if this is possible.

Sorry if it's previously been mentioned but do we have the room to turn the pitch 90 degrees and look to completely renovate the ground? I know this is probably unaffordable but interested to know if this is possible.
As you guess here it's been discussed multiple times and basically viewed as both unfeasible (not enough space north to south) and a huge unnecessary cost.

Back