• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
I wouldn't touch the South Stand - as rickety as it looks, it is the most modern part of the ground, and we couldn't yield any more capacity out of it. Best to refurbish, focusing on re-introducing at least 2 x kiosks upstairs and renovating the toilets and SW food bar.

I have mentioned the idea of converting the South Lower to an intimate safe-standing area for home fans, should the North need to be retained for away use, either in part of full. That would lose some capacity, but we should still be able to achieve 15k net.

No No No No No No No.

Noooooooooooooo.

I know its just an idea, but NO NO NO.

We have got a real good atmosphere rocking at Rootshall and that is in part due to Block W in the west stand and that being that all the supporters are in block and not spread out along the pitch.

When we first got ousted from the North bank and were housed in the south, the atmosphere was absolutely terrible, and it was not for the want of trying.
Its just that the stand is about 8 rows deep and spans the width of the pitch, thus the left side don't hear what the right side are singing.

Rootshall lost a massive part of its ROAR, it was more of a whimper, the away support then had the upper hand over us.
It would only take 200 vocal away supporters in the North to out sing the home support.

we lost the twelfth, man in fact we it was like we only had 10 men and the away had 13 men. (Vocal support wise)

WE need as much vocal support as humanly possible, WE need not the Twelfth man but the 13th man as well,
We NEED to be where we are heard the loudest, AND THAT IS BACK IN THE NORTH, even if 2 or 3 blocks are for safe standing only, and the rest is seated.

No no no, never ever put the main Vocal support back in the South stand, we would loose a MASIVE advantage for our team.

Sorry to go on, but for me and many others, it was absolutely hart breaking to go from the lively and loud North stand to the Whimper and dead South Stand.

The South stand Lower is Mostly empty for most games, and that is for good reason.

Lets take the vocal advantage and make the South lower safe standing, but for the away support only.
Let them have the crap views and the even worse vocal support.

Again, this is just my point of view on the South.

COME ON YOU BLUES.

No No No No No No No.

Noooooooooooooo.

We have got a real good atmosphere rocking at Rootshall and that is in part due to Block W in the west stand and that being that all the supporters are in block and not spread out along the pitch.

When we first got ousted from the North bank and were housed in the south, the atmosphere was absolutely terrible, and it was not for the want of trying.
Its just that the stand is about 8 rows deep and spans the width of the pitch, thus the left side don't hear what the right side are singing.

Rootshall lost a massive part of its ROAR, it was more of a whimper, the away support then had the upper hand over us.
It would only take 200 vocal away supporters in the North to out sing the home support.

we lost the twelfth, man in fact we it was like we only had 10 men and the away had 13 men. (Vocal support wise)

WE need as much vocal support as humanly possible, WE need not the Twelfth man but the 13th man as well,
We NEED to be where we are heard the loudest, AND THAT IS BACK IN THE NORTH, even if 2 or 3 blocks are for safe standing only, and the rest is seated.

No no no, never ever put the main Vocal support back in the South stand, we would loose a MASIVE advantage for our team.

Sorry to go on, but for me and many others, it was absolutely hart breaking to go from the lively and loud North stand to the Whimper and dead South Stand.

The South stand Lower is Mostly empty for most games, and that is for good reason.

Lets take the vocal advantage and make the South lower safe standing, but for the away support only.

COME ON YOU BLUES.
he never said the vocal group had to go in there!

No No No No No No No.

Noooooooooooooo.

COME ON YOU BLUES.
If you can propose a way of segregating the home and away fans between the South Upper and Lower, then by all means, let us know!
I think it has to stay all home - that isn't to say that you can't have a second area for fans to stand and create an atmosphere. Block X could be make in to a safe-standing section, but it would impact the sightlines from the North Bank.

he never said the vocal group had to go in there!

I know that,
but usually that is historically where the main vocal support would go, as they mainly like to stand.
If the Blue Voice & co were then to carry on standing in Block W, then that could cause problems as the security would possibly want those standing to sit down, and that properly would not happen.

NE Corner could be well used as a small seated area (ideal for clubs bringing 50 fans) with a TV studio lounge (similar to what's at Watford) behind that can be sold for the other 90% of the time it's not being used for broadcast
Indeed - orrrrr, convert the NE corner entirely to hospitality, thus reworking the flexible space available in a new East Stand. Burnley is a crude example (albeit they aren't boxes)...

1696512366576.png

Sorry, but to me this all sounds very 2nd rate.

We'll still have posts all over the West Stand that means the viewing won't have been improved all that much. We'll also still have next to no room at the back of the West Stand, and no way to walk round to the club shop.

Very underwhelming. Let's hope something a bit better is possible. Don't forget, Ron is putting in £20m on top of what the consortium will spend so it should be possible.
At the moment we’re a 5th rate club. Even RH in its current state beats most of our peers. We should aspire to the best we can manage though. The stanchions are the single biggest pain to viewing and not keen on the extra 5metres from the pitch. Also not keen on some of those modern stands where the sound goes out and the weather comes in.

If you can propose a way of segregating the home and away fans between the South Upper and Lower, then by all means, let us know!
I think it has to stay all home - that isn't to say that you can have a second area for fans to stand and create an atmosphere. Block X could be make in to a safe-standing section, but it would impact the sightlines from the North Bank.

I'm sure that there are a few persons on here who can come up with some good ideas of how to segregate the home and away supporters.

I just know that it would not be a good idea IMO to ASK the vocal support to go into the South lower.

There wont be a new stadium It is possable to rebuild new stands at the hall one at a time .Starting with the west.Relocate the fans that use to west to the north bank .Put the small amount of away fans in one corner of the east .Things like this has been done in other grounds .So why not the hall .
I would have thought you would start with the north as that’s your swing space as there are no away fans each week . Get that upto 3000 fans then you can allow home fans there whilst you do either the west or east stand …

I'm sure that there are a few persons on here who can come up with some good ideas of how to segregate the home and away supporters.

I just know that it would not be a good idea IMO to ASK the vocal support to go into the South lower.
Without a complete re-working of the structure, you won't be able to make it work for away fans, as the upper tier relies upon secondary access/egress from the lower tier. You couldn't remove those without having to allocate new staircases from the upper tier to the rear, and that isn't physically possible.

I would have thought you would start with the north as that’s your swing space as there are no away fans each week . Get that upto 3000 fans then you can allow home fans there whilst you do either the west or east stand …
If we are in the EFL at that time, you'd need to plan it carefully, as every club is obliged to provide a minimum of 200 covered seats whatever is going on in the ground.

No No No No No No No.

Noooooooooooooo.

COME ON YOU BLUES.
I would certainly give the south stand to away fans for these reasons. In fact I’d be tempted to only give them the lower tier!

Forgive my **** drawing @Sherif H but would this be possible?

Away fans enter via Fairfax Drive (green lines)

Home fans enter via East stand car park (Blue lines)

Red lines are gates/fences for segregation. Most of which are already in situ.

Away fans get the NW corner section marked A. Must be c.800-1000 seats in there?

We get the entire North Bank (Blue H) up to the just before the corner flag?.

I'm sure there are turnstiles for this away section already there next to where the red line is at the back of the NB, there's a large exit down the slope and stairs up to the NW corner already there from memory. Stick a fence across next to the stairs and job is a good'un?

Will need work obviously, plus toilets and a mobile catering unit out the back. But to me this is the most realistic solution?

We get the NB back (worth a number of extra points over the season with increased atmosphere) and the away fans get the ****test view and atmosphere. Winner winner!

RH.jpg

Respectfully, the bloke you are patronising does this for a living.

If it was that easy to think of ways of segregating home and away support, perhaps more people would do it for a living?

Assume you are some sort of crowd control expert?

Back