• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Is no-one thinking of this poor guy?

Analogy only.

If you are going to live next door to a Fire Station, do not complain that the fire engines wake you up with their sirens each time they leave for a call out.

Surely you have a good idea, what it would it would be like living next door to a football stadium, especially seeing that he is a footy fan.

Interesting to read that the planning permission on RH had expired - didn't someone on here say that but was shouted down ? Would think that weakened Rat's hand a bit during negotations.

This is the site plan.
From memory it includes 3 or 4 different pieces of land together making the RH development site. By far the largest piece is of course the RH stadium element. From memory the different parts of the development site are listed as security for RHL borrowing (so pretty certain all owned by RHL).
Its was pointed out a number of times, and certainly not just by me, that if the consortium were buying the RH development site then a partial housing development was still entirely possible.

You can walk from the West to the South Lower and out that way. Still a pain but saves going the ‘long way round’.

Ron’s original plans for FF might’ve worked you feel, had the stadium been built 20 years ago. But the whole project had become a bit farcical really, with the revised plans etc. What upset me more than the empty field in the end was the state RH was allowed to deteriorate into. Annoyed me every time I saw those stadium photos on the buildings on Vic Ave.

Maybe a new stadium will arrive in future. For now I’m much encouraged by what @Sherif H has had to say, gives me hope we can spruce up the old place.
Can anyone confirm whether @Sherif H has been introduced to Justin/Tom?

I’m begrudgingly ok if they meet and discuss things and decide not to work together but it would throughly **** me off if we went about renovating RH as Sherif has been banging the drum for a while and then we didn’t take one of the prominent experts in this country up on his offer of sharing his expertise.

I hope Justin’s smarter than that.

Interesting to read that the planning permission on RH had expired - didn't someone on here say that but was shouted down ? Would think that weakened Rat's hand a bit during negotations.
It wasn't me but someone did say that. TBF I wouldn't characterise it as "shouting down". Merely pointing out planning was still in place.

Might have been an assumption but a very valid one. Final approval was given in May 2022!!

I suspect, what is the case, is that that approval was conditional on the new stadium at FF being built and the club moving in, and planning and conditions for the whole development don't lend themselves to a much smaller development. Therefore the current planning conditions need significantly changing, and a new application submitted?

I don't know (experts on here will say if otherwise) but a planning approval wouldn't normally expire in less than 18 months?

Note the statement:
Original planning permission for homes to be built at Roots Hall has expired, and fresh applications will need to be submitted.
..is not a quote. Its a statement by the journalist and it might well be "shorthand"?

According to the council planning portal conditional planning permission was granted on 3 May 22 and lasts for 5 years.

One of the conditions is that a new stadium is constructed, so if that's not happening then one can argue the conditions cannot be met.

Attachments

• IMG_20231005_095039.jpg
    IMG_20231005_095039.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 17
However, at least the Council are very much on board, so hopefully work on the renovation can begin next Summer.

Have to disagree there. Having taken a drive Tuesday around my old stomping ground of Whitehouse Road and seeing you still using plastic sacks for rubbish, I don't think the council could organise the proverbial ' lash up in a brewery'.

Last edited:
Interesting that Rochford Council aren't mentioned in all of this. They used to put up barriers as they are involved. Their main worry seemed to be the roads leading to and from a new Fossetts Development, as Sutton Road in their area from Temple Farm going towards Purdeys and The Ann Boleyn for example, gets gridlocked as it is sometimes, and new people living in the new builds would make things worse. As well as the extra traffic on match days.

New East Stand, moved back a bit.
Move pitch across slightly
Re-do West Stand seating
New North Bank Roof
Safe Standing Block X, Y, Z

Something like that?

Can anyone confirm whether @Sherif H has been introduced to Justin/Tom?

I’m begrudgingly ok if they meet and discuss things and decide not to work together but it would throughly **** me off if we went about renovating RH as Sherif has been banging the drum for a while and then we didn’t take one of the prominent experts in this country up on his offer of sharing his expertise.

I hope Justin’s smarter than that.
Yes he has been introduced to both at different times by the Trust (Justin more recently) Not sure on the current involvement though.

There will be no planning problems from what I’m told that’s why Southend council involved so everyone happy we get our club under new ownership ron gets his planning plus extra housing

Yes - have indeed been exchanging comms, but didn't want to say anything until the main man was comfortable to share that information.
Not a better man on the planet to have involved in the sprucing up of the old girl. I look forward to hearing and seeing the plans for the place in due course.

I also hope consideration will be given to returning the North Bank to home fans, safe standing ideally. With better sight lines and improved facilities, a packed North Bank will be worth a number of points over a season.

See the video from the Oxford City manager post match below, who suggested his players didn't cope with the atmosphere at all well on Tuesday. Having the NB back IMO is well worth the outlay as it will cause many other teams to fold under the atmosphere. Especially at this level!

Given the council involvement, mention of co-operation in planning and possible funds through Levelling Up I can't see any other stand than the east [and car park] being the first to receive work. I do think the pitch needs to move further east in the process. I talk about that in another thread.

I hope there's a master plan coming soon. However long the time scale is, just want to see how much they're committing to RH. It's easy to get carried away and we might need to curb our expectations a bit. We don't even know who these consortium members are yet let allow how deep their pockets are.

Back