• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
New East Stand, moved back a bit.
Move pitch across slightly
Re-do West Stand seating
New North Bank Roof
Safe Standing Block X, Y, Z

Something like that?
The movement back of the East Stand and a complete rebuild is the key to any redevelopment and the potential reconfiguration to Roots Hall. Obviously its dependent on how much budget is allocated and over what time period the Consortium would look to achieve it.

This is the site plan.
From memory it includes 3 or 4 different pieces of land together making the RH development site. By far the largest piece is of course the RH stadium element. From memory the different parts of the development site are listed as security for RHL borrowing (so pretty certain all owned by RHL).
Its was pointed out a number of times, and certainly not just by me, that if the consortium were buying the RH development site then a partial housing development was still entirely possible.

Thanks KB for posting the site plan. I know it's been posted before but I couldn't remember where.

Hopefully this ends the highly expensive (because of the need to level the site not to mention 4 new stands etc) idea of some to rotate the pitch 90°. There simply isn't enough room - the pitch would fit but stands of any size on the south and north sides would not.

My thinking was to build a new East Stand behind the existing one. Thus allowing us to continue to play at RH during its construction (having now seen the site plan, again, I'm not even sure that's possible as the site narrows slightly at the south end but i'll continue!).

The old East Stand would then be demolished and the pitch moved east giving additional space for a much improved West Stand. Access could be provided around the North West corner, along the service road behind the North Bank and in to the East Stand car park to a newly created fanzone.

Both end Stands would need to be re-jigged because of the pitch being moved eastward.
Perhaps the North Stand could be extended back and over the Service Road that exists behind it (although there might be an issue because of it's proximatey to the properties that back on to it from Fairfax Drive (right of light etc)).

This could all be phased. I remember seeing on MOTD when wolves built their new main stand (showing my age now) for a while there was oceans of space beween the pitch and the crowd. Not ideal but a means to an end. And after all we have got £20m of the rats money to spend!!!

Thanks KB for posting the site plan. I know it's been posted before but I couldn't remember where.

Hopefully this ends the highly expensive (because of the need to level the site not to mention 4 new stands etc) idea of some to rotate the pitch 90°. There simply isn't enough room - the pitch would fit but stands of any size on the south and north sides would not.

My thinking was to build a new East Stand behind the existing one. Thus allowing us to continue to play at RH during its construction (having now seen the site plan, again, I'm not even sure that's possible as the site narrows slightly at the south end but i'll continue!).

The old East Stand would then be demolished and the pitch moved east giving additional space for a much improved West Stand. Access could be provided around the North West corner, along the service road behind the North Bank and in to the East Stand car park to a newly created fanzone.

Both end Stands would need to be re-jigged because of the pitch being moved eastward.
Perhaps the North Stand could be extended back and over the Service Road that exists behind it (although there might be an issue because of it's proximatey to the properties that back on to it from Fairfax Drive (right of light etc)).

This could all be phased. I remember seeing on MOTD when wolves built their new main stand (showing my age now) for a while there was oceans of space beween the pitch and the crowd. Not ideal but a means to an end. And after all we have got £20m of the rats money to spend!!!
Your thinking on this very much mirrors my own, including the logistical doubts, but if Carlsburg did ground redevelopment we might be in! 😃

Analogy only.

Surely you have a good idea, what it would it would be like living next door to a football stadium, especially seeing that he is a footy fan.
No, he's not, he probably just watches Arsenal on the telly.

Comes over as a bit of a knob, to my mind. Did he not spot the football ground when he was thinking of moving there?

Although, if staying at Roots Hall is going to **** him and the like off then that makes it even more satisfactory.

Last edited:
This is the site plan.
From memory it includes 3 or 4 different pieces of land together making the RH development site. By far the largest piece is of course the RH stadium element. From memory the different parts of the development site are listed as security for RHL borrowing (so pretty certain all owned by RHL).
Its was pointed out a number of times, and certainly not just by me, that if the consortium were buying the RH development site then a partial housing development was still entirely possible.

Let’s hope there is a drafting error by the architect on this site plan, as over half the south stand appears to be outside the site ownership of Roots Hall Limited!
Hopefully JR has a decent legal team to sort this out.

Ideally the club would acquire St Mary's court. Not only is it an eyesore and drug infested but that would allow for so much more movement of the East stand re development.

The east stand could then be dragged towards Victoria avenue by about 25 meters and allow a little wriggle room for the west and possibly the north to be improved.

Ideally the club would acquire St Mary's court. Not only is it an eyesore and drug infested but that would allow for so much more movement of the East stand re development.

The east stand could then be dragged towards Victoria avenue by about 25 meters and allow a little wriggle room for the west and possibly the north to be improved.
Don't say that , its where @GBJ has a lot of his clients. 🤣

The bear minimum should be the following in my opinion

A new East stand is a must and we don't need a car park of that size

Extend the east stand into a new "grand stand"

Replace the roof and redevelop the north stand

Replace the roof on the Rose West stand and replace the kisoks, bars and toilets at the back with modern replacements

Redevelop the South stand

In my mind, I'm picturing a smaller st james park haha and would love it if the corners got filled in

So, I've had a very crude play with scaling on my lunch hour....this is the result...

Move the pitch 5m toward the East - this improves the sightlines from the existing West Stand without touching anything.

North Stand re-developed to provide a mild uplift from circa 2k to 2.5k, and incoporating safe-standing.

East Stand rebuilt, with dimensions very crudely estimated to provide a capacity of around 5,500 and a couple of floors of mixed-use/hospitality space.

NE corner is optional, but might be more for architectural merit than any great increase in useful real estate.

1696507742154.png

So, I've had a very crude play with scaling on my lunch hour....this is the result...

Move the pitch 5m toward the East - this improves the sightlines from the existing West Stand without touching anything.

North Stand re-developed to provide a mild uplift from circa 2k to 2.5k, and incoporating safe-standing.

East Stand rebuilt, with dimensions very crudely estimated to provide a capacity of around 5,500 and a couple of floors of mixed-use/hospitality space.

NE corner is optional, but might be more for architectural merit than any great increase in useful real estate.

View attachment 29264
When you look at that aerial photo, you realise just how much Jobson ****ed up by hemming-in the south stand so much. Didn't really clock how little space there is to work with there.

View attachment 29264
What sort of capacity would that give us @Sherif H ?

Back