• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
That'll do me. Especially safe standing in the North, if it can be worked out to return it to home fans. Shove the away fans in the NW corner with their own access via Fairfax Drive.

Out of interest @Sherif H is the East stand here a single tier or two tier construction?
Based on single tier purely for simplicity. You could go two tier, but would end up resulting in an even higher structure than necessary, on the proviso that we can extend in to the car park without too many issues.
Height is a factor which will need the involvement of a planning consultant - with particular attention being paid to neighbourly matters such as Rights of Light, although I suspect the only issues might be the residents of the new flats on the Prospects site.

So, I've had a very crude play with scaling on my lunch hour....this is the result...

Move the pitch 5m toward the East - this improves the sightlines from the existing West Stand without touching anything.

North Stand re-developed to provide a mild uplift from circa 2k to 2.5k, and incoporating safe-standing.

East Stand rebuilt, with dimensions very crudely estimated to provide a capacity of around 5,500 and a couple of floors of mixed-use/hospitality space.

NE corner is optional, but might be more for architectural merit than any great increase in useful real estate.

View attachment 29264
If someone from the consortium isn't giving you a call RE ideas for the development of Roots Hall post 1st of November (or before) then they need to give their heads a wobble!

Based on single tier purely for simplicity. You could go two tier, but would end up resulting in an even higher structure than necessary, on the proviso that we can extend in to the car park without too many issues.
Height is a factor which will need the involvement of a planning consultant - with particular attention being paid to neighbourly matters such as Rights of Light, although I suspect the only issues might be the residents of the new flats on the Prospects site.
Thats a decent capacity for a single tier. What current stands around the country would be of a similar size for comparison?

The bear minimum should be the following in my opinion

A new East stand is a must and we don't need a car park of that size

Extend the east stand into a new "grand stand"

Replace the roof and redevelop the north stand

Replace the roof on the Rose West stand and replace the kisoks, bars and toilets at the back with modern replacements

Redevelop the South stand

In my mind, I'm picturing a smaller st james park haha and would love it if the corners got filled in
And increase the number of ladies toilets in the west stand

Sorry, but to me this all sounds very 2nd rate.

We'll still have posts all over the West Stand that means the viewing won't have been improved all that much. We'll also still have next to no room at the back of the West Stand, and no way to walk round to the club shop.

Very underwhelming. Let's hope something a bit better is possible. Don't forget, Ron is putting in £20m on top of what the consortium will spend so it should be possible.

Sorry if it's previously been mentioned but do we have the room to turn the pitch 90 degrees and look to completely renovate the ground? I know this is probably unaffordable but interested to know if this is possible.
Wasn't there a fella on that Yahoo Group (pre-SZ) who had this all spec'd-out?

We'll still have posts all over the West Stand that means the viewing won't have been improved all that much. We'll also still have next to no room at the back of the West Stand, and no way to walk round to the club shop.

Very underwhelming. Let's hope something a bit better is possible. Don't forget, Ron is putting in £20m on top of what the consortium will spend so it should be possible.
These are only musings on the seated accommodation. There would obviously be 'back-of-house' improvements such as concourse/access/egress improvements and upgraded food, beverage and toilet facilities. We are merely discussing the obvious changes at the moment.

Worcester Warriors / Sixways is a good example with traditional boxes at an upper level...

View attachment 29271
Went to see my daughter’s boyfriend play football there against Worcester Raiders last season in the Hellenic League premier division.

Ironically Southend were playing at Solihull Moors at the same time and the game I was watching (Step 6?) was in a much nicer stadium!

Went to see my daughter’s boyfriend play football there against Worcester Raiders last season in the Hellenic League premier division.

Ironically Southend were playing at Solihull Moors at the same time and the game I was watching (Step 6?) was in a much nicer stadium!
Another rugby club that has bitten the dust. Not sure if/when they will make a return.

These are only musings on the seated accommodation. There would obviously be 'back-of-house' improvements such as concourse/access/egress improvements and upgraded food, beverage and toilet facilities. We are merely discussing the obvious changes at the moment.
Think we should look at the likes of Kings Lynn,Solihull moors and Barnet as similar catering options..

The 2 things that actually give me hope that the Roots Hall upgrade will be done is:

1. Ron is no longer going to be at the helm taking it forward - a property developer that fails at developing.

2. The council are the ones commenting on the situation and are the ones pushing for the plans to be submitted and will take care of them when they do.

We could see work being done in less than 2 years, or at the least 3.

I'd sooner the need for a 10 minute walk around a stadium to get to a club shop once or twice a season than a 5 mile round walk from the town to a white elephant of a stadium

So, I've had a very crude play with scaling on my lunch hour....this is the result...

Move the pitch 5m toward the East - this improves the sightlines from the existing West Stand without touching anything.

North Stand re-developed to provide a mild uplift from circa 2k to 2.5k, and incoporating safe-standing.

East Stand rebuilt, with dimensions very crudely estimated to provide a capacity of around 5,500 and a couple of floors of mixed-use/hospitality space.

NE corner is optional, but might be more for architectural merit than any great increase in useful real estate.

View attachment 29264
NE Corner could be well used as a small seated area (ideal for clubs bringing 50 fans) with a TV studio lounge (similar to what's at Watford) behind that can be sold for the other 90% of the time it's not being used for broadcast

Back