• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Spain v England UEFA Euro 2024 Final. 20:00hrs 14th July 2024

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought Foden, Mainoo, and Kane were passengers, and I'm not sure Guehi was in the same class as his Spanish counterparts.
When a third of your team is underperforming, you're up against it.
Did you notice how many balls had to be controlled after bouncing up to an England waist or shin?
Did you also notice how many Spanish balls were incisive, along the ground, and quick?

48% win rate in the Prem, not bad at all. Whether that translates to international success or not, we'll see
Think it will be Potter personally. If he plays a style that he played at Brighton that could be interesting and enjoyable to watch. Nothing, and I mean nothing at all, is enjoyable to watch under a Southgate team.

Harry Kane needs to retire too. Big game player my arse. 5 finals 0 shots on target and his stats in semi finals aren’t much better either. Constantly out of position too which is frustrating and leaves out other attacking players with no options at all which then allows the other team to get back, get their shape and get difficult to break down.

Walker made so many mistakes too.

Should have taken Leif Davis to play until Shaw was fit as without a proper left back we was so unbalanced.

Key thing for me tonight was the desire was missing from us far too much. Spain closed down in packs and with such a high intensity. We also got back in to the game when we equalised and then gave up thinking we will take it to extra time. WE WERE ON ****ING TOP. Go for the win whilst they are on the back foot. We are so scared of losing that we struggle to win.

Our record against top 10 teams is absolutely shocking. I believe we only have 2 wins possibly under Southgate against these.

I think the top players in Europe generally looked knackered going into the tournament and throughout. The best players on display were often the youngsters who had 2/3 seasons or no champions league. Whether it’s because there have been 3 tournaments in 3 years or just that there are more and more games I don’t know. If it wasn’t for the ££ wouldn’t it be better to have the champions league only in the off years for the other major competitions…

Think it will be Potter personally. If he plays a style that he played at Brighton that could be interesting and enjoyable to watch. Nothing, and I mean nothing at all, is enjoyable to watch under a Southgate team.

Harry Kane needs to retire too. Big game player my arse. 5 finals 0 shots on target and his stats in semi finals aren’t much better either. Constantly out of position too which is frustrating and leaves out other attacking players with no options at all which then allows the other team to get back, get their shape and get difficult to break down.

Walker made so many mistakes too.

Should have taken Leif Davis to play until Shaw was fit as without a proper left back we was so unbalanced.

Key thing for me tonight was the desire was missing from us far too much. Spain closed down in packs and with such a high intensity. We also got back in to the game when we equalised and then gave up thinking we will take it to extra time. WE WERE ON ****ING TOP. Go for the win whilst they are on the back foot. We are so scared of losing that we struggle to win.

Our record against top 10 teams is absolutely shocking. I believe we only have 2 wins possibly under Southgate against these.
Blimey, I thought he was Welsh. Deffo should have gone.

Best team won
GS should have gone after he messed up the last final v Italy
Next we will hear is"
we will learn from this......or in two years time we will be better !!!
Southgate is gone, i think the next manager will be our U-21 manager...at least he won something
Thanks GS,you done well up to a point....goodbye wish you well...now lets get people in who know football and will change how English football is run at the FA... but there is IMO, the problem...and it will not get better...the Prem league run English football and thats only about money.
TBH, i think we knew it would end up in tears...sadly

Tonight we were beaten by the best side in the tournament by a country mile.Who ever takes over needs to rethink how we play the game
I believe it's all about the quality of players.
That Holland 74 side were talent from 2-11 except keeper Jongbloed who never thought he would play!
Total Football was down to total talent, and after 78, they were in the doldrums for a near decade.
The way any team plays is down to a manager to get the best out of what he has.
Southgate's one mistake was in not making more use of Watkins and Palmer later in the tournament.
But a whole new philosophy?
Great to have a brave new world; but England aint that good.

For all the talk about Spain being the best team of the tournament, it ain't saying much.

They deserved their victory tonight on the balance of play, but England gift-wrapped it and popped a bow on it for them.

They're a billion light years away from even being able to shine the boots of their 2008-2012 counterparts and man-for-man, I think England have just as much quality.

That game was absolutely there for the taking after the equaliser. England were in the ascendancy.....but where was the instinct to go for the jugular, get them on the ropes and get a second? The foot just came off the gas, yet again.

No creative movement ahead of the ball. No zip and forward-travel in the passing. It's too cautious. Too rigid.

Harry Kane is probably about done for international football for me. Thanks for all you've done, but the mobility just isn't there anymore. We need something quicker and more energetic up there to make an impact on games.

Walker probably isn't done yet, but he was massively at fault for both goals today. Got sucked into the middle by ball watching, when white shirts were already outnumbering red shirts in the middle, and ultimately the killer attacks both came down his channel. You're taught not to ball watch at U9s. Schoolboy stuff from someone so experienced at the top level.

Other than that, the foundation is there for England to really push on, especially when you consider the talent on the bench today, and those that didn't even make it onto the plane: James, Chilwell, Maguire, Maddison, Grealish, Rashford.

But it needs someone at the helm who isn't afraid to play front-foot football and to get the best put of the attacking talent, whilst also having the man management skills needed to continue cultivating the excellent culture and togetherness that Southgate has built.

Only person who fits the bill for me is Eddie Howe.

For all the talk about Spain being the best team of the tournament, it ain't saying much.

They deserved their victory tonight on the balance of play, but England gift-wrapped it and popped a bow on it for them.

They're a billion light years away from even being able to shine the boots of their 2008-2012 counterparts and man-for-man, I think England have just as much quality.

That game was absolutely there for the taking after the equaliser. England were in the ascendancy.....but where was the instinct to go for the jugular, get them on the ropes and get a second? The foot just came off the gas, yet again.

No creative movement ahead of the ball. No zip and forward-travel in the passing. It's too cautious. Too rigid.

Harry Kane is probably about done for international football for me. Thanks for all you've done, but the mobility just isn't there anymore. We need something quicker and more energetic up there to make an impact on games.

Walker probably isn't done yet, but he was massively at fault for both goals today. Got sucked into the middle by ball watching, when white shirts were already outnumbering red shirts in the middle, and ultimately the killer attacks both came down his channel. You're taught not to ball watch at U9s. Schoolboy stuff from someone so experienced at the top level.

Other than that, the foundation is there for England to really push on, especially when you consider the talent on the bench today, and those that didn't even make it onto the plane: James, Chilwell, Maguire, Maddison, Grealish, Rashford.

But it needs someone at the helm who isn't afraid to play front-foot football and to get the best put of the attacking talent, whilst also having the man management skills needed to continue cultivating the excellent culture and togetherness that Southgate has built.

Only person who fits the bill for me is Eddie Howe.
Of those players you mentioned not being in the squad I wouldn’t take any other than possibly Maddison providing his form isn’t poor.

Rashford **** all season and barely chased players 5 yards away from him.

Grealish barely playing.

Maguire barely playing.

Chilwell and James hugely injury prone.

We need to start building for the future and introducing new players. We have no plan B either. It’s the same line up and same formation every game and we struggle to beat poor teams on a regular basis. Hungary x2, USA, Iceland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Macedonia and Ukraine to name a few.

Of those players you mentioned not being in the squad I wouldn’t take any other than possibly Maddison providing his form isn’t poor.

Rashford **** all season and barely chased players 5 yards away from him.

Grealish barely playing.

Maguire barely playing.

Chilwell and James hugely injury prone.

We need to start building for the future and introducing new players. We have no plan B either. It’s the same line up and same formation every game and we struggle to beat poor teams on a regular basis. Hungary x2, USA, Iceland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Macedonia and Ukraine to name a few.
I wouldn't have taken them this summer either. Their form didn't deserve it. But they are all quality players who have performed well for England in the past. If some of them perform well and stay injury-free next season, then there's no reason at all why they wouldn't be back in England contention and rediscover that previous form. They're not quite ready for the international football scrapheap yet.

I wouldn't have taken them this summer either. Their form didn't deserve it. But they are all quality players who have performed well for England in the past. If some of them perform well and stay injury-free next season, then there's no reason at all why they wouldn't be back in England contention and rediscover that previous form. They're not quite ready for the international football scrapheap yet.
This is like southend re signing Eastwood after he smashed it the first time and then getting him back towards the end of his career. England need to be progressive and look and build towards the future and not keeping going for the same players. Same reason the England cricket team are sh*t nowadays too.

This is like southend re signing Eastwood after he smashed it the first time and then getting him back towards the end of his career. England need to be progressive and look and build towards the future and not keeping going for the same players. Same reason the England cricket team are sh*t nowadays too.
Come on Dan. You're better than that, mate. That is absolutely not how international football selection works, and I think you know that, really!

Come on Dan. You're better than that, mate. That is absolutely not how international football selection works, and I think you know that, really!
We have all these quality players performing week in week out and not getting a look in because the same players will start regardless of form. We have played 8 games in the past 5/6 weeks and players like Foden and Kane have done literally next to nothing. Palmer and Watkins have been a breath of fresh air and should have got a look in. Players already don’t want to be present in the squad for a few reasons. Ben white being a good example because the coaches are terrible and Jamie vardy another one because no matter what he done he would never get a look in. If we had a player who hadn’t done anything for 8 games in a row would we not be calling for changes. Players for England who start know they will get picked regardless of form. Watching England over the past 2 years or so has not been at all enjoyable regardless of where we got to in tournaments because of easy routes more than anything else

Our luck ran out tonight. It was a close contest and when Palmer scored you sensed the momentum was shifting, but we didn't capitalise on that and allowed Spain to regain control. We struggled with their high press and didn't keep the ball as well as we have been. Once again we looked more of a threat once Kane went off and we actually had a striker making runs...

Credit to Spain, the best team won the tournament although they were definitely beatable. The fact is our star players - Kane, Bellingham, Foden - didn't deliver enough. Palmer made an impact when he came on again and must be wondering how he didn't get a single start. Walker is surely done at international level. But there have been positives for the future - Mainoo, Guehi, Palmer, Saka.

Fully expect Southgate to step down. Thanks for the memories, he's done a lot of good things as England manager and deserves respect, but I think we need someone new to take this team to the next level and get the best out of them.

It'll now be 60 years of hurt :Cry:

I think the top players in Europe generally looked knackered going into the tournament and throughout. The best players on display were often the youngsters who had 2/3 seasons or no champions league. Whether it’s because there have been 3 tournaments in 3 years or just that there are more and more games I don’t know. If it wasn’t for the ££ wouldn’t it be better to have the champions league only in the off years for the other major competitions…
Think that's a very valid point. It's not been a great tournament on the whole, lots of draws and low-scoring games. A lot of the star names haven't really turned up. Fatigue must be a factor when you look at the number of games top international players play nowadays. They barely get a break and it's only going to get worse with the expansion of the Champions League.

Back