• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Spain v England UEFA Euro 2024 Final. 20:00hrs 14th July 2024

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No point getting hung up over this now when we will hopefully be taken over tomorrow! Can’t wait for the league to start again and be able to watch some proper football.

The world is moving on. The slow monotonous tippy-tappy football from the back, and no player beyond the halfway line for the out ball, invites the high press and eventually a chance will be taken. Oh sorry, I'm not supposed to be talking about SUFC. Strange parallels though? Nearly successful, stifled creativity and players performing below their very best against poor opposition. Hmmmm

Reactions: jnl
Even though i picked England to win it was only out of Love, in my heart i always thought Spain would win, hopefully now Southgate will retire and England will appoint a more attack minded manager who will allow the team to play to there strengths, I agree with the comments concerning the amount of games played now by players ,and agree its too much but on the other hand clubs need to utilise there squads better ,i realise saying this will make quite a few people here plus team owners and managers hair stand up.Money talks and to most owners and managers club comes before country. too many supporters also this is true .

The world is moving on. The slow monotonous tippy-tappy football from the back, and no player beyond the halfway line for the out ball, invites the high press and eventually a chance will be taken. Oh sorry, I'm not supposed to be talking about SUFC. Strange parallels though? Nearly successful, stifled creativity and players performing below their very best against poor opposition. Hmmmm
Southend conceded the fewest goals in the division.....

Actually, watching England this summer has made me wonder why so many people get frustrated by the eay Southend play.

Allowing for the difference in level, of course, but we play much more front foot football than England have this summer.

Last edited:
Even though i picked England to win it was only out of Love, in my heart i always thought Spain would win, hopefully now Southgate will retire and England will appoint a more attack minded manager who will allow the team to play to there strengths, I agree with the comments concerning the amount of games played now by players ,and agree its too much but on the other hand clubs need to utilise there squads better ,i realise saying this will make quite a few people here plus team owners and managers hair stand up.Money talks and to most owners and managers club comes before country. too many supporters also this is true .
I agree. I would like to see the former Liverpool manager, Jurgen Klopp, appointed England manager. I think he get much more out of this talented group of player than Gareth Southgate.

Can’t see us ever beating the top level sides consistently enough under Southgate I’m afraid.

Fantastic job done creating the environment we have now where players actually want to enter an England camp. That being said I think we’ve been really fortunate to reach the finals we have. Always struggle as soon as we play a team of quality and without a penalty unfairly given in the semis we wouldn’t have made it.

On reflection Southgate selection tonight was wrong. Spain ran the game, Bellingham was played wide left when we desperately needed someone to take control of the game. Harry Kane looked unfit but really needs people with pace to go beyond him and with Spain pressing so high we just ended up turning the ball over too easily as the pitch was so congested, too many similar players demanding the ball to feet in the same area.

Think it’s time for a new face as I really do believe we have the quality to be beating teams like Spain regularly if we played to our full potential.

Only concern would be who we have to replace Southgate as the best English managers haven’t won anything. We go again in 2 years, but the sinking feeling of supporting England continues. It would probably be easier to support Wales and have zero expectations.

Last edited:
Kane didn’t have a great tournament, no doubt. Still joint top scorer though. I don’t think he was fully fit. Anyone proposing that he is done at international level is jumping the gun.
No, but the point is if he was not fully fit (as seems to be the case) then we had much better options and could have brought him on as a sub. As it was we’ve effectively played a final with 10-1/2 men.

We’ve levelled the game. Our tails are up but we revert to type and play for extra time. Our performance wasn’t too bad but the negativity in two finals now is unacceptable. GS has a great record in comparison to many others including Robson and Venables. If we’d lost in other circumstances I’d say keep him on but we need a change. I’m well aware of the numerous dross managers we have had but I’d like to think even Ron Greenwood would have fared better in the final.

I agree. I would like to see the former Liverpool manager, Jurgen Klopp, appointed England manager. I think he get much more out of this talented group of player than Gareth Southgate.
Apparently he's just turned down the USA job because he wants a break.

Apparently he's just turned down the USA job because he wants a break.
I would love to see Klopp as England manager. He’s proved himself at club level, he’s talked about his love of living in England and he must be financially secure.

The job is perfect for him, we have the talent and we’d certainly get entertainment.

He’s had a summer break, and am sure the England job would be less stressful than week in week out PL and CL football.

I would love to see Klopp as England manager. He’s proved himself at club level, he’s talked about his love of living in England and he must be financially secure.

The job is perfect for him, we have the talent and we’d certainly get entertainment.

He’s had a summer break, and am sure the England job would be less stressful than week in week out PL and CL football.
I think he'd be great too, but if he's turned down a job in the last couple of weeks I'd say it's unlikely...unless he was just being polite to the Americans.

Can’t see us ever beating the top level sides consistently enough under Southgate I’m afraid.

Fantastic job done creating the environment we have now where players actually want to enter an England camp. That being said I think we’ve been really fortunate to reach the finals we have. Always struggle as soon as we play a team of quality and without a penalty unfairly given in the semis we wouldn’t have made it.

On reflection Southgate selection tonight was wrong. Spain ran the game, Bellingham was played wide left when we desperately needed someone to take control of the game. Harry Kane looked unfit but really needs people with pace to go beyond him and with Spain pressing so high we just ended up turning the ball over too easily as the pitch was so congested, too many similar players demanding the ball to feet in the same area.

Think it’s time for a new face as I really do believe we have the quality to be beating teams like Spain regularly if we played to our full potential.

Only concern would be who we have to replace Southgate as the best English managers haven’t won anything. We go again in 2 years, but the sinking feeling of supporting England continues. It would probably be easier to support Wales and have zero expectations.
wont get past the qtrs in 2026 if Southgate is in charge , be lucky to get to the qtrs.

One of the things I'v always liked about SZ (apart from the facr is that we're all SUFC supporters obviously) is that we don't always have the same opinion about things,that includes the national team.

One of the things I'v always liked about SZ (apart from the facr is that we're all SUFC supporters obviously) is that we don't always have the same opinion about things,that includes the national team.
dont think we all have the same opinion about SUFC , except we all love SUFC .

That's interesting since Southgate has got us through to the final of tournaments so often. The problem is that he can't win it, not that he can't get there surely?
Other nations have worked him out his tactics rarely change , only thing he got right was the subs this tournament, plus a lucky penalty or we wouldnt have made it this far .

I reckon if we are going to lose a Euro final, lose to a very good side, Spain are a top notch side.
Southgate out!

Spain beat England, France, Germany, Italy and Croatia to win the trophy. I know you can only beat what’s in front of you. But England wouldn’t have done this at any tournament under Southgate.

Back