• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-2 Dagenham & Redbridge

I thought that was a great advert for the national league, high octane football played on the floor as it should be. As others have mentioned Cokers injury/substitution changed our presence considerably although Wood played well we weren’t the same. Some absolute heroics by Taylor and Miley today.

Shame this thread has descended into ‘Singers vs non singers’ nonsense, big crowds are never the best atmosphere for some reason. I’ve known 4k midweek attendance games to be louder than today. No point in getting over excited about it though.

Only listened to the game today, but getting the impression that morton played better spraying out to the wings, wood played better as a winger, and bridge was livelier having the ball passed to him?

This sounds like a positive plan b
Morton plays well in cavs rolls. That's unfortunately his issue. Will be interesting when cav eventually gets injured or suspended. Because he will really shine I think. But he can't play with cav unfortunately

Couple of things .. some of Moncur’s movement and passing in the first half was a joy to watch. He seemed to be giving advice to others, who seemed to listen. Shame that he (predictably) tired and his influence waned. I think he’ll be really good around the younger players.

Taking an age to get it into the box and poor deliveries. Wood in the last 10 put in two pearlers, one that Cards just failed to reach and one for Gus for the equaliser. That’s how it’s done. I’d love to see more of this.

We do need decent reinforcements as these guys have guts and determination but they need help. We need depth in the squad, game changers on the bench and more like Moncur who are forward thinking, attack minded players. We get in and around the box like in the last part of the game but we’re often missing the final ball or someone just putting their laces through it .. often one touch too many.

Think reading all these posts it really depends where you sit. You mentioned earlier that you sing in the East but in the West you can’t hear that. You rarely hear anything from the East or the South. W block is next to me so it’s very loud 😀 .. definitely was after we scored the 2nd.
I think the main factor is the acoustics generally sound really good if you are in that stand. In 44 years of supporting I’ve spent time in every stand and the NB for noise is the best in the ground. I really hope one day soon we get that back and I’d happily relocate to the NB. But those that know me will know home and away I get behind the team. I’m not saying the East stand is rocking but it’s simply not true that we all sit on our hands and stay quiet. I think it’s sad that after all we’ve been through as a club and fan base that individuals feel the need to slag off other fans for not singing. I like what W block bring to the ground but it would be way better in the NB. Take Crystal Palace. They don’t stop from the first whistle to the last. The other three sides don’t spend the whole game signing as well. My son and friends are in W block and have been for years but even they say it’s not the sane a it was. But end of the day we are all supporters of Southend United. It’s a shame after a decent point in the end that people are having a dig at each other over whether they sing or not

I think the main factor is the acoustics generally sound really good if you are in that stand. In 44 years of supporting I’ve spent time in every stand and the NB for noise is the best in the ground. I really hope one day soon we get that back and I’d happily relocate to the NB. But those that know me will know home and away I get behind the team. I’m not saying the East stand is rocking but it’s simply not true that we all sit on our hands and stay quiet. I think it’s sad that after all we’ve been through as a club and fan base that individuals feel the need to slag off other fans for not singing. I like what W block bring to the ground but it would be way better in the NB. Take Crystal Palace. They don’t stop from the first whistle to the last. The other three sides don’t spend the whole game signing as well. My son and friends are in W block and have been for years but even they say it’s not the sane a it was. But end of the day we are all supporters of Southend United. It’s a shame after a decent point in the end that people are having a dig at each other over whether they sing or not
Fully agree that the singing section should be in the North Bank. I think teams attacking the North are lifted by their fans being behind the goal. Also agree we shouldn’t be judging how others support the team but obviously some felt the criticism on here was a tad harsh. Presumably a lot of the noise doesn’t always reach every part of the ground.

Fully agree that the singing section should be in the North Bank. I think teams attacking the North are lifted by their fans being behind the goal. Also agree we shouldn’t be judging how others support the team but obviously some felt the criticism on here was a tad harsh. Presumably a lot of the noise doesn’t always reach every part of the ground.
Spot on

Great effort, considering most were absolutely out on their feet and our small squad.

Positives;
  • Didnt lose
  • 90 mins in the tank for Moncur (though 2 thirds of it was less impactful that start, which is to be expected)
  • We created a lot and looked much more of a threat
  • Taylor immense
Negatives;
  • Desperately need to bolster this squad
  • Bridge delivery is terrible, got to work on it. Must have had 20 attempts to cross and hit first man with pretty much all of them
As was Husins delivery..who I thought had an awful game today, but he is coming back from injury and must be knackered.

Taylor immense as you say as always, thought he was our best player last season as well.

i thought we murded them 2-2. we dominated, played well up to the final third but don't consistently have the quality in that final third.

the lack of depth hurt us today. we started well, but were clearly knackered. Moncur looked class first 30 minutes, then disappeared. his first touch is so much better, and he always makes easy passes. so he should you might say, but at this level it's 50/50 whether most players do.

we only made one change from Saturday, and that due to injury. then we get another injury, then another. so it's hardly surprising we're knackered.

we seem to have a game plan to try to look first for a centre back, try to go sideways, and only then go forwards. that can work if you're Man City but we're not. i don't think we're good enough to do it, and we put ourselves under so much pressure. but to be fair to Maher it's worked very well given the restrictions we've been under.

Taylor was unreal, just an incredible one on one defender, superb reading of the game, tackling and all round physicality. but when he's been asked to do so much with the ball it scares me.

i thought Maher was mad when he brought Gubbins on, but changing to 4231 made us look so much better. Wood looked like what he is, a winger who's been played outside his natural position finally allowed to do what he's good at. I'd love to see that 4231 continue, especially with only one forward available.

again, our depth cost us today. getting some more bodies in/back from injury will help. i actually think we seem to lack some confidence, and the side to side is a lot of give it to someone else and hope. we need people like Taylor to bring the ball forward. too often he'd have space but look to go backwards and sideways first and only then bring it forward himself.

I really liked their number 7, looked class. was defo a foul on him by Bridge, classic run across to get brought down. clever play and what we should be trying to do. but having Bridge at wing back rather than winger puts him in positions he shouldn't be in (last man). and he was poor today. love him, but too much jink back, stop, chop, feight, overhit. He's missing Wes because Wes played right close to him and gave him options. too often he was on his own, and with no left foot he needs to come back inside but the opposition are waiting for him then. Ralph overlapping can create that space, but works better from fullback than centre back.

entertaining but frustrating.

Ive been looking at shrimperzone since 2013. Nothings changed with out fanbase and im definitely not new.

And telling me to wind my neck in is cheap coming from you. I sang with tonsilitus for this team for 60 mins on saturday give my everything in the stands for this team. But im the one that needs to wind my neck in.

Honestly please just block me
Pleased to oblige. You’re now on ignore.

Sorry, but he was the wrong side of the player.
This freeze frame stuff is all well and good, but in real time it looked nailed on.
The ref has a few heartbeats to decide, and we'd have been up in arms if not given at the other end.
I guess that's where VAR comes in useful, not that we'll ever know, sadly...
It was a foul but is it too much to expect for the assistant to be sufficiently up with play to spot it was outside the box- they only give them half a pitch to cover these days and they still can’t keep up with play? The ref would have no idea if it was in the box or not so would have guessed. Not good but it’s standard fare and pointless to expect better. Maybe have four assistants and give them a quarter of the length of the pitch each - they might just be able to cope :-)

Entertaining game, one which we really should have won. All round good effort though. I know perhaps Cav and Noor have played better. Wes is being missed on the left. Countless times Bridge had no option other than to keep the ball until others made themselves available. When Ralph comes forward we begin to look a threat from his play and crossing. So needs to happen more often imo. A decent attacking midfielder is desperately needed, as is an additional striker. Great save today from Colin. Well done GSM,still showing the others where the back of the net is! Wish more members of the team would be willing to shoot from in around the box. Too many passes, and not enough attempts on goal again. Harry Taylor definitely man of the match. There’s a long way to go so I do hope nobody is panicking just yet.

When we equalised my wife sang loudly to the away fans, “You’re not singing any more.” So I’m happy to report there was indeed some noise from the east stand.

I refuse to criticise these players who did so much for us last season .. Taylor was immense today and Gus Scott Morris is a few classes above this level . We should enjoy him while we can… It’s clear that we are lacking 2/3 players to bolster the squad.. I’m happy to bide our time as no one is going to run away with the league this season and then if we are in a reasonable position come New Year we can then perhaps invest in a few loan signings that would take us into a play off position . Rome wasn’t built in a day …
Trouble is everyone else can do the same- and do either just outside the playoffs to get there, or in the playoffs to stay there…
We need to bring in at least 2-3 so let them be the right ones and we won’t need to play catch up

Back