• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-2 Dagenham & Redbridge

Think Maher and co maybe looking again at loanees very shortly ,or the free agents list, need to get some bodies in very soon , but not just to fill the bench ,they need to be at minimum on a par with what we have ,even if what we have are on the injured list,my hope is that they will be better than what we have, Definitely need another striker and a couple of players with pace to burn, one at least a winger, Happy to see Wood given a starting role out wide on the right hand side ,lets see how he goes , Happy for him today,will help his confidence no end . 4-2-3-1 HOPEFULLY. !!!

Colin 7
GSM 8
Taylor 8.5 MOM
Crowther 6
Ralph 7
Bridge 5
Moncur 6
Miley 6.5
Husin 6
Coker 6
Cardwell 6

Wood 6
Morton6
Gubbins6

Well that game was ruined once Coker was injured and woeful judgement to put on Wood as a centre forward. Funny enough he looked good when put wide in the last 10 mins out of desperation. Poor choices are costing us points weekly!
Please inform me of your other option then rather than bringing on wood for Coker? We know playing both Miley & Morton doesn’t work.

Fair do’s and I get both points of view.
Maybe consider this, if 60% go in the corners , 30% each side then your keeper will save 1 in 3, if he stood still 2 out of 5 - just saying
All keeper’s are slightly nuts anyway, it goes with the job
He dived this time cause against Barnet he stayed middle and was made to look a fool. The Penalty taker knew that and put it down the middle. Simple

Today's game I think was very valuable because

1) we realised wood is a right winger and it's his best position. If we continue with 532 as a main formation he will have limited game time and only used IF we shift formation
2) Morton is a good player but only when a direct replacement for Miley when playing 532. They don't play well together mostly because there are less options further forward and attacks are blunted with less players to pass to to take the ball forward
3) we can attack
4) 4231 perhaps a better formation for the players we have at hand and to actually go out and score - better to compress a 4231 to defend for periods than trying to expand a 532 to attack

DAGENHAM & Redbridge boss Ben Strevens was left gutted following his side’s 2-2 draw at Southend United on Monday.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links
Dont know why he was gutted , replays show that it should never have been a peanalty to begin with, before that Southend were in control of the game and should have had 3 goals on the board by then ,He should thank either the ref or the missing linesman who couldnt keep up with the game.

He dived this time cause against Barnet he stayed middle and was made to look a fool. The Penalty taker knew that and put it down the middle. Simple
One would hope that between the 3 people in the GK department that they're researching where the opposition penalty takers like to put the ball - and then that is guiding where the keeper dives (or not dives)

Fully agree that the singing section should be in the North Bank. I think teams attacking the North are lifted by their fans being behind the goal. Also agree we shouldn’t be judging how others support the team but obviously some felt the criticism on here was a tad harsh. Presumably a lot of the noise doesn’t always reach every part of the ground.
Apart from Oldham and possibly Barnet we won’t see much more meaningful away support this season so shouldn’t be an issue.

Important thing is we didn’t give up and managed to get something out of it, especially against that lot. I think Taylor is really coming on good now but Colin’s head seems to be somewhere else. Some bizarre results yesterday too, so not all bad.

Had the takeover been completed sooner we would have begun the season in better shape: ie a full compliment of players all of whom would have had a proper pre season.
Instead circumstances saw us essentially give all of the other clubs in our league at least a two if not three week head start on us. A small squad limits our selection and tactical options and injuries only serve to magnify these problems.
My opinion is there is a great deal of improvement in this squad and we will finish the season strongly despite the very real short term challenges we are now facing.
On August the 27th 2004 we played our fifth league game of the 2004/5 season and lost 2/1 to Bristol Rovers which gave us a record of played 5, won none, two draws and three losses for a grand total of two points. This is worse than our present haul of six points from five games and just one loss. We finished the 2004/5 season in early May in fourth position and went on to gain promotion via the play offs.
Our promotion push was led by soon to become legend Freddy Eastwood but he did not appear until October 16th which was our thirteenth game of the season.
Although we lost lost three of our first five during the course of the campaign we only lost a further nine games with just four losses coming after the 1st of January.
I mention this as this season is fondly recalled by many of our supporters who would rank it as one of the best in the history of the club. And yet it began very poorly. At the moment we are far from being in a hopeless position and a successful season is still an entirely possible outcome for us.
Our present smaller than ideal playing squad is not a result of mismanagement but a direct consequence of the seemingly never ending takeover sage.
We all can agree the playing numbers need strengthening and all on here would want us to recruit wisely but such a policy may see reinforcements take time to arrive. Right now injuries are a real concern and the early return of some of our absentees (especially in the striking department) would provide a real boost to morale as well as strengthening us as a playing unit.
I think this team will only improve as the season progresses and this gives me grounds for optimism in the long term. Taking everything into consideration yesterday's draw was a decent result especially as the point was achieved via a late equaliser. The players, although some visibly on their knees by the end of the game, never gave up. Given our interrupted pre season I was pleasantly surprised that we looked the stronger unit in the last fifteen minutes.
Those calling for us to 'invest' in new players may be disappointed and have to learn to temper their expectations. The refurbishment/renewal of Roots Hall is going to swallow up an awful lot of capital and will affect how much is available for player signings This will see us outspent by many of our rivals which will no doubt be a continuing source of discontent among many supporters. Success will only come to us as a result of shrewd recruitment.
A vital one two or three weeks awaits. The footballing gods need to speed the recovery of the injured and help us avoid losing any more players. And we need incoming warm bodies soon! All might yet turn out much better than many now expect.
And finally on a different topic: so far I like what I see from Moncur and feel he brings a lot to the team but I am not sure he is, or, will be, a ninety minute player. I desperately want him nursed carefully and not lost through injury although right now it may be unavoidable playing him for longer than seems ideal.
UTB

Had to work yesterday so followed the game on the radio (the draw sounded a fair result). Just before KO I realised I hadn't put my usual bet on, so quickly opened up my account to back us to draw. But the odds in the first game listed distracted me, lowly Braintree, evens favourites to beat high-flying Ebbsfleet ?!? - surely a mistake - so I lumped on the visitors instead. Of course, in my haste, I was thinking about Eastleigh. A howler all round. :Dunce:

Please inform me of your other option then rather than bringing on wood for Coker? We know playing both Miley & Morton doesn’t work.
It wasn't an issue bringing Wood on but where he played. We seen it time and time again he is not a centre forward. He's qualities are when he has the ball at his feet facing the goal. We changed the shape late on and Wood went wide. He instantly looked better and so did we. It's basic stuff.

Can we all stop blaming the embargo now. Last season at this point we had 12(?) players and was playing better football and winning almost all our games and the situation was terrible with us not even knowing if we would start the league. We cant keep using these excuses for a poor start and poor performances. Not being able to fill the bench is not great and shows we desperately need players in. For most of the game yesterday I thought it was two average teams. Last 10 mins we stepped it up and first half we were on top but cannot kill a game off with endless chances. Barnet game I dont think it was that even and we only had about 10 mins where we was on top of them. We have looked sluggish the last two games with the usual intensity missing.

Was very pleased to see Moncur get a full game yesterday and thought he was great on the ball. We desperately need more players with football league experience if we want to move forward and go up and we desperately need a proper leader in the team. We wont go up constantly getting players from smaller and lower teams.

It was another game of who has the better bench. We were dominating the game until Coker got injured. Moncur playing just behind Cardwell really worked. We then had to drop him back to make place for Wood. I'm sorry Jack, you just aren't a striker at NL level. That's not his fault, he is playing there out of necessity. Our whole shape fell apart after that substitution. I felt so sorry for Cards, winning flick-ons with no one running onto them. We desperately need a striker!

Let's look at the positives though. Taylor was outstanding and becoming a fans favourite. His reading of the game is unreal at this level. Ralph also had another great game and further enhances why he should play ahead of Gubbins. Moncur played for 90 mins and you can tell that with a proper strike partnership to feed, will create lots, and Gus... Wow! He is league 1 material and we are so lucky to still have him. He's unbelievable.

Overall, after playing another game with one days rest in between, a point is gratefully received. We showed the fighting spirit from last season and that will feel like a win in the dressing room. The results yesterday showed you get weird outcomes because of the quick turnaround, so any positive result has to be well received.

This week is pivotal with so many injuries. We need to recruit! Fylde is a big game too, as those are the games we should be picking up maximum points. Utb!

Watching Moncur yesterday underlined the fact that even when not fully match fit he is head and shoulders above the mediocrity of the rest of our midfield. An experienced, skilful and intelligent user of the ball which we have been missing for years. Last season the siege mentality very commendably led to a collective effort far beyond the individual talents of the squad. In a different context now I think we can see the inadequacies of a number of players who were plying their trade in the lower leagues for a reason. Although it is only early in the season it sems quite clear that in order to even get to the playoffs two things need to happen. Firstly the squad needs strengthening by the signing of experienced EFL players rather than taking a punt on lower league prospects who may or may not make it. Secondly, the coaching staff need to work on their management and tactics during the game, be more proactive and not get outthought by the opposition coaching staff. If neither of these things happen, we are in for a season of struggle which will inevitably lead to an erosion of what at the moment is extraordinary support and disillusionment will soon set in.

Back