• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-2 Dagenham & Redbridge

Taylor immense as he usually is. Has anything been said about when the new training pitches will be ready? If I recall correctly TL mentioned early August, but assume extra work has been needed. Badly need stronger facilities with injuries mounting up.

Can we all stop blaming the embargo now. Last season at this point we had 12(?) players and was playing better football and winning almost all our games and the situation was terrible with us not even knowing if we would start the league.
Ah, but last season we had that siege mentality - backs against the wall and everyone is against us. That is now gone and it shows. Every now and then you see a flash of it, particularly with Cardwell and Gus, but on the whole, that battling intent has gone.

Harry Taylor, Man of the Match all day long, don't know what the sponsors were thinking! Absolutely immense performance again.

I thought a draw was a fair result in the end, we started well and we finished unbelievably well, but between those times, Dagenham probably had the better of the play. The ref made two bad independent decisions which his assistants never flagged, the first that early offside (against Cardwell, I think) and the second, the penalty. Seen clear photos on X that show it so obviously outside the box, that was really unlucky for Jack. I thought the ref let far too much go or go against us - the foul on Coker, and several on both Jacks, until he did start to flash the yellows around late on.

Think people are being unduly harsh on Cav. He'd been playing fine up until he did that track back and tackle (which Paul Clark was in raptures about), I'm not sure what caused him to go down soon after as I wasn't watching him to know if there was an incident but he was holding his neck and that is a worry as it could be serious. He should have been taken off earlier, but I know he would have argued against it - sometimes you should insist for player's well being.

I'm glad Jack Wood came on with a decent amount of game time, though obviously sorry that Oli Coker had the injury which gave him the chance. Going wide on the right late on allowed him to show his natural ability and hopefully show the management team that is his best position - couple of great crosses in and worked well with Gus too. Gus is great, though he did get cross a few times and needs to watch that.

Moncur and Noor both a lot quieter than the last home game, but both still working on getting back to full fitness. Noor over hit several passes, so he needs to work on that for sure.

I'm going to give credit to Dagenham for their marking, I thought they closed us down really well which made them quite frustrating to play against, and they were so quickly on to mistakes as well. They looked really sharp.

I did think our other subs were too late generally. Again, Dagenham made full use of theirs and introduced them at intervals meaning they continuously had fresh legs to run against our tired ones. I know we were thin on the ground but we did have options, and I did think we should have used them.

Could/should Collin have done better with the 2nd goal? I need to watch @D1versity 's vlog back, but my instinct was that he should have done. Penalties are tough because you'll get criticised if you stand still, and criticised if you go for it so I can't criticism there. Some of the kicking was a bit off.

My sister really enjoyed herself too - she's missed it so much!

Collin - 6
Gus - 7.5
Taylor - 8.5, MOTM
Crowther - 6.5
Ralph - 7
Bridge - 7
Miley - 7
Coker - 6.5
Moncur - 7
Husin - 6.5
Cardwell - 8

Subs:
Wood for Coker - 7.5
Others not really on long enough though I thought Morton was quite tidy.

Last edited:
Couple of observations from full replay {available for free next day, National League TV}...... Wood chipped in some lovely crosses that Bridge should learn from and Morton looked a different player on the ball that I always thought he had from day one!
Morton is quality at this level...but so similar to Cav

I was very critical of Wood after Saturday, but he was much improved yesterday and when playing in his correct position was very good in the last 15-20 mins.

I thought Daggers were pretty rubbish to be fair and offered zero attacking threat until the penalty that wasn’t a penalty. I missed the first 10 mins of the 2nd half so maybe missed Dagenham’s best spell, but that would have been a very underserved 3 points for them.

We clearly need reinforcements, maybe a couple of loans if we can’t get in permanent signings, as our small squad is being pushed to its limits already.

Plenty of time to go in the season, but we do need a couple of wins quickly so we don’t get too far adrift of the front runners.

The team showed exceptional heart and, despite many players blowing out of their a-hole, they finished the stronger. They can, through their defensive decisions, be masters of their own downfall. I think Daggers messed up. They brought on a host of subs to run our legs off but it made them less cohesive.

I really did not understand Noor and Moncur starting. Attacking intent? Neither were going to be doing the business after 60 minutes and so it proved. Noor had a game to forget and Moncur tried, willingly, to the end but apart from the odd neat touch he wasn't impactful.

Taylor is phenomenal and Gus was a bargain basement buy that has really excelled.

We have a good side though threadbare. Their effort is immense. We need to look to the coaching more.

Ah, but last season we had that siege mentality - backs against the wall and everyone is against us. That is now gone and it shows. Every now and then you see a flash of it, particularly with Cardwell and Gus, but on the whole, that battling intent has gone.

Harry Taylor, Man of the Match all day long, don't know what the sponsors were thinking! Absolutely immense performance again.

I thought a draw was a fair result in the end, we started well and we finished unbelievably well, but between those times, Dagenham probably had the better of the play. The ref made two bad independent decisions which his assistants never flagged, the first that early offside (against Cardwell, I think) and the second, the penalty. Seen clear photos on X that show it so obviously outside the box, that was really unlucky for Jack. I thought the ref let far too much go or go against us - the foul on Coker, and several on both Jacks, until he did start to flash the yellows around late on.

Think people are being unduly harsh on Cav. He'd been playing fine up until he did that track back and tackle (which Paul Clark was in raptures about), I'm not sure what caused him to go down soon after as I wasn't watching him to know if there was an incident but he was holding his neck and that is a worry as it could be serious. He should have been taken off earlier, but I know he would have argued against it - sometimes you should insist for player's well being.

I'm glad Jack Wood came on with a decent amount of game time, though obviously sorry that Oli Coker had the injury which gave him the chance. Going wide on the right late on allowed him to show his natural ability and hopefully show the management team that is his best position - couple of great crosses in and worked well with Gus too. Gus is great, though he did get cross a few times and needs to watch that.

Moncur and Noor both a lot quieter than the last home game, but both still working on getting back to full fitness. Noor over hit several passes, so he needs to work on that for sure.

I'm going to give credit to Dagenham for their marking, I thought they closed us down really well which made them quite frustrating to play against, and they were so quickly on to mistakes as well. They looked really sharp.

I did think our other subs were too late generally. Again, Dagenham made full use of theirs and introduced them at intervals meaning they continuously had fresh legs to run against our tired ones. I know we were thin on the ground but we did have options, and I did think we should have used them.

Could/should Collin have done better with the 2nd goal? I need to watch @D1versity 's vlog back, but my instinct was that he should have done. Penalties are tough because you'll get criticised if you stand still, and criticised if you go for it so I can't criticism there. Some of the kicking was a bit off.

My sister really enjoyed herself too - she's missed it so much!

Collin - 6
Gus - 7.5
Taylor - 8.5, MOTM
Crowther - 6.5
Ralph - 7
Bridge - 7
Miley - 7
Coker - 6.5
Moncur - 7
Husin - 6.5
Cardwell - 8

Subs:
Wood for Coker - 7.5
Others not really on long enough though I thought Morton was quite tidy.
I'm mostly there with you.
The pen in REAL time was nailed on, and said so elsewhere. It's a pity VAR doesn't stretch this far south in when it comes to leagues.
Am not enamoured with Coker, and Wood comes from the same stamp.
You're right insofar as suggesting the latter might be better suited out wide. But, his control is poor, and it will be poor wherever he plays until he improves it.
Let's face it, a fit Walker; Waldron and 100% up to speed Moncur, and neither would get a look in as starters.
I've seen others lament the loss of Wes; but we both know what he ultimately brought. There's a bit of that going on here.
It would be great if Coker and Wood WERE to improve, but I'm not holding my breath.
As far as refs in this league go; I'm right there with you.
When demoted to the NL, I warned against the dire standards having seen too much fifth tier officiating at other clubs over the previous six seasons.
But there's a clue there: fifth tier football: fifth tier refs.

The team showed exceptional heart and, despite many players blowing out of their a-hole, they finished the stronger. They can, through their defensive decisions, be masters of their own downfall. I think Daggers messed up. They brought on a host of subs to run our legs off but it made them less cohesive.

I really did not understand Noor and Moncur starting. Attacking intent? Neither were going to be doing the business after 60 minutes and so it proved. Noor had a game to forget and Moncur tried, willingly, to the end but apart from the odd neat touch he wasn't impactful.

Taylor is phenomenal and Gus was a bargain basement buy that has really excelled.

We have a good side though threadbare. Their effort is immense. We need to look to the coaching more.
Gus will be/is one of the Southend Legends and will surely get a painting on a wall.

I thought we were really poor Really poor. For long periods, it was a harder watch than last season.

I'm very concerned about Collin's distribution and find it to either be ponderous or inaccurate.

Credit to Taylor Since moving to centre back, I've been very impressed.

Credit of course to Gus, but I personally think it's a worry that our right back is our top scorer. Obviously not sustainable.

Packed to the rafters and the place is a mess.

Well aware that things don't change overnight, but I'd expected us to be more active recruitment wise.

Appreciate the EFL deadline this week, but that hasn't stopped most of the other teams actually improving their squads rather than just plugging gaps that were already there.

You know how sometimes a last minute draw feels like a win?

Yesterday's felt like that draw that was a loss.

I thought Wood did pretty well in the circumstances and I do get the hes better on the wing theory, but dont totally go along with that , as I thought he did well throughout. I dont know if it was a deliberate change but he certainly got forward more than most and chased a lot down.

Its such fine margins of course. His lovely turn in the box and instant shot was impressive. If it had gone in imagine the comments.

On average its 10 shots at goal to produce one. Similarly for Waldron, when he made that move and broke through only to see his shot well saved by Hayes, If it had gone in, wonder goal,,. So fine margins and yet hes on the take stick register.

Wood did put in two delicious crosses from the right wing where he found a bit more space, but he also did pretty well in my view, prior to that, so I would be reluctant to label him purely as a winger at this stage and he is clearly developing his talent

Enjoyable game for the 8500 in attendance. Thought we started well as needed and a great piece of play and finish from Oli Coker. Was worried when saw Waldron was out but Moncur started well in the 10 role. We started to lose our grip when Coker went off and Wood came on in the 10 role (was so much better at right wing). A horrible decision by the ref turned the game, besides being outside the area, I thought their player ran across Bridge to buy the pen. Anyway That put the Daggers tails up and they bossed proceedings as we lost our way with the changes. Inevitably Josh Rees put them ahead but unlike Saturday we somehow found a second wind to go again. A deserved equaliser by that man again GSM and I was even thinking we could win it with a couple of minutes left. A real game of ebbs and flows and I was satisfied leaving knowing the team had given 100%.

Andeng-Ndi 6.5
Taylor 8.5 MOTM
Crowther 6.5
Ralph 7
Scott-Morriss 8
Coker 7
Miley 6.5
Husin 6
Bridge 6.5
Moncur 7
Cardwell 7.5

Wood 7
Morton 6.5
Gubbins 6

Taylor MOTM as per Saturday an immense performance (had to be to beat GSM). Worry is obviously we look threadbare and that is 3 out of 5 games where in my opinion we have lost points to superior benches. Bodies needed, 2 difficult long away trips next as our run of tough games to start the season continues as does our unlucky run of injuries. UTB

Back