• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-2 Dagenham & Redbridge

Couple of things .. some of Moncur’s movement and passing in the first half was a joy to watch. He seemed to be giving advice to others, who seemed to listen. Shame that he (predictably) tired and his influence waned. I think he’ll be really good around the younger players.

Taking an age to get it into the box and poor deliveries. Wood in the last 10 put in two pearlers, one that Cards just failed to reach and one for Gus for the equaliser. That’s how it’s done. I’d love to see more of this.

We do need decent reinforcements as these guys have guts and determination but they need help. We need depth in the squad, game changers on the bench and more like Moncur who are forward thinking, attack minded players. We get in and around the box like in the last part of the game but we’re often missing the final ball or someone just putting their laces through it .. often one touch too many.
Agreed looking at the highlights wood sent in three excellent crosses with pace and curve

Had the takeover been completed sooner we would have begun the season in better shape: ie a full compliment of players all of whom would have had a proper pre season.
Instead circumstances saw us essentially give all of the other clubs in our league at least a two if not three week head start on us. A small squad limits our selection and tactical options and injuries only serve to magnify these problems.
My opinion is there is a great deal of improvement in this squad and we will finish the season strongly despite the very real short term challenges we are now facing.
On August the 27th 2004 we played our fifth league game of the 2004/5 season and lost 2/1 to Bristol Rovers which gave us a record of played 5, won none, two draws and three losses for a grand total of two points. This is worse than our present haul of six points from five games and just one loss. We finished the 2004/5 season in early May in fourth position and went on to gain promotion via the play offs.
Our promotion push was led by soon to become legend Freddy Eastwood but he did not appear until October 16th which was our thirteenth game of the season.
Although we lost lost three of our first five during the course of the campaign we only lost a further nine games with just four losses coming after the 1st of January.
I mention this as this season is fondly recalled by many of our supporters who would rank it as one of the best in the history of the club. And yet it began very poorly. At the moment we are far from being in a hopeless position and a successful season is still an entirely possible outcome for us.
Our present smaller than ideal playing squad is not a result of mismanagement but a direct consequence of the seemingly never ending takeover sage.
We all can agree the playing numbers need strengthening and all on here would want us to recruit wisely but such a policy may see reinforcements take time to arrive. Right now injuries are a real concern and the early return of some of our absentees (especially in the striking department) would provide a real boost to morale as well as strengthening us as a playing unit.
I think this team will only improve as the season progresses and this gives me grounds for optimism in the long term. Taking everything into consideration yesterday's draw was a decent result especially as the point was achieved via a late equaliser. The players, although some visibly on their knees by the end of the game, never gave up. Given our interrupted pre season I was pleasantly surprised that we looked the stronger unit in the last fifteen minutes.
Those calling for us to 'invest' in new players may be disappointed and have to learn to temper their expectations. The refurbishment/renewal of Roots Hall is going to swallow up an awful lot of capital and will affect how much is available for player signings This will see us outspent by many of our rivals which will no doubt be a continuing source of discontent among many supporters. Success will only come to us as a result of shrewd recruitment.
A vital one two or three weeks awaits. The footballing gods need to speed the recovery of the injured and help us avoid losing any more players. And we need incoming warm bodies soon! All might yet turn out much better than many now expect.
And finally on a different topic: so far I like what I see from Moncur and feel he brings a lot to the team but I am not sure he is, or, will be, a ninety minute player. I desperately want him nursed carefully and not lost through injury although right now it may be unavoidable playing him for longer than seems ideal.
UTB
Again I think we are using this as an excuse, as a club we and the fans love an excuse as to why we are under achieving /perfoming , we are now 3 weeks into the season and we are still a good 3-4 players short . Which with our current track record will possible be another 2-4 weeks. If you add those weeks into the weeks of the season we are already in, plus the weeks prior to the season that COSU did jump on board we would would I’ve needed to be making signings for the 2024 season prior to the 2023-24 season finishing, let’s just admit it we are not very good for what ever reason of being on the front foot … queue embargo embargo embargo

SOUTHEND United midfielders Oli Coker and Cav Miley both suffered injuries in the Shrimpers’ 2-2 draw with Dagenham & Redbridge.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links
"SOUTHEND United midfielders Oli Coker and Cav Miley both suffered injuries in the Shrimpers’ 2-2 draw with Dagenham & Redbridge at Roots Hall.

Coker – who fired Blues in front early on – had to be taken off in the first half with an ankle injury before Miley was forced off during the second 45 minutes.

And Shrimpers boss Kevin Maher will be assessing the duo’s fitness in the next few days.
Josh Walker was again absent for the Shrimpers with a hamstring issue while Danny Waldron joined on the sidelines after suffering a knee problem during Saturday's defeat to Barnet."

It shouldnt really be much of a surprise as in recent years injuries have spiked across the leagues at the beginning of a season. Indeed its now the most injurious time apart from all those late ?December winter games in heavy conditions,

For us what chance did we stand thanks to Ron and all the delays. No proper pre season, no proper training facilities, No real sufficient pre season tough games. Easyish pre season knock abouts cant replicate the intensity of real league games and no way replicate the mental sharpness and physicality needed. It probably takes 4 or 5 tough games to get properly fit for the likes of Noor, Crowther and Waldron

So we were way behind. Fatigue is another factor especially in the warmer weather, the second most key factor in missing games !!

But kicking off with the leagues smallest squad hardly allows for much rotation which is the largest issue if you seriously wish to limit this well known early season impact

I'm mostly there with you.
The pen in REAL time was nailed on, and said so elsewhere. It's a pity VAR doesn't stretch this far south in when it comes to leagues.

As far as refs in this league go; I'm right there with you.
When demoted to the NL, I warned against the dire standards having seen too much fifth tier officiating at other clubs over the previous six seasons.
But there's a clue there: fifth tier football: fifth tier refs.
My issue was that the lino was up with play and didn't flag it, but the ref who was behind play and couldn't possibly have seen, did!

Grateful for the rescue and rat extermination but this is a football club with the best chance ever of getting out of this very weak League….they all beat each other.
At least push the boat out so we can have 7 half decent players on the bench to liven it up?

Please inform me of your other option then rather than bringing on wood for Coker? We know playing both Miley & Morton doesn’t work.
The change should have been bringing on Wind,not the hapless Wood.
Gus on the right of a midfield 4 (Coker’s not great there anyway) could go forward even more and score even more goals ! Wind ,or Crowther when Kensdale’s fit,at RB. 4-4-2 ! Ralph at LB and Bridge left midfield—he just can’t defend.The penalty was critical—Bridge was the wrong side of his man.

Loved Morton off the bench. We moved the ball so much quicker and wider after he came on.

It's gonna be a long year for all the fans that shout "forward!" everytime we move the ball across the pitch. The players have CLEARLY been told to not to lose possession of the ball.

Signings will be interesting now. There will be no panic buying, that's for sure. Financial stability is a key focus of COSU. Will be hard to sort loans until clubs in higher divisions see their transfer windows close.

The change should have been bringing on Wind,not the hapless Wood.
Gus on the right of a midfield 4 (Coker’s not great there anyway) could go forward even more and score even more goals ! Wind ,or Crowther when Kensdale’s fit,at RB. 4-4-2 ! Ralph at LB and Bridge left midfield—he just can’t defend.The penalty was critical—Bridge was the wrong side of his man.
Omg the hapless Wood that can actually put 3 balls in ON A SIXPENCE instead of Bridge that is still creating nothing!

Omg the hapless Wood that can actually put 3 balls in ON A SIXPENCE instead of Bridge that is still creating nothing! was so much wide-open space down the right
Omg the hapless Wood that can actually put 3 balls in ON A SIXPENCE instead of Bridge that is still creating nothing!
Howcome there was so much space open down the right even though Daggers had everybody back desperately defending their narrow lead. ?
They concentrated their defence on the centre and on the left,where they knew Bridge had the ability to go round his man,men even.

It's gonna be a long year for all the fans that shout "forward!" everytime we move the ball across the pitch. The players have CLEARLY been told to not to lose possession of the ball.
Probably my biggest gripe with our crowd. Then the same people will moan and groan whenever an ambitious forward pass doesn’t quite come off. It must wind up the players too

A game that I walked away from slightly disappointed despite the late drama. One we could have won, and potentially should have with the chances before their equaliser, but equally a game we could have very easily lost. When you look at it like that, a point is a fair result. Being their cup final, I expected extra time and penalties though…

Two people that have picked up a lot of stick on here over the last week has been Morton & Wood (Waldron too but missing). Wood was much more effective when put onto the right, and his delivery was excellent. Morton moved the ball around quickly and got it out wide well. Both played well and, more importantly for subs, impacted the game positively.

What was very obvious once Coker went off and Moncur had to drop into the three, was just how much we lacked in there in terms of energy levels. Miley was struggling, Husin is still working his way back and Moncur won’t play many 90 minutes. All three were struggling. The last two home games, I’m starting to see what Coker brings to the side. I’m becoming a big fan. He finished his chance well and moves the ball nicely. We lacked energy when he went off.

Taylor is phenomenal. I never rated him in central midfield, but what a centre half he is. Bit like Joelinton at Newcastle who was a poor centre forward, but a revelation in midfield. When I’ve picked my back three before, or looking at who to sign, I just think we’d be better with a genuine centre half there, but I actually think Taylor is. His reading of the game and his tackling is well beyond his years and of someone who can easily adapt to playing higher.

Also, Collin’s save just after the break was incredible, and had that gone in, it could have been a completely different game.

Most around me were screaming for Maher to make changes, and particularly in midfield which we needed to do, but we really lack options. As I say, Wood is our only attacking sub, and went on early. Leaving just Morton who could potentially do something. Maybe Gubbins as an emergency centre half. Maybe put Wind on and tinker with GSM’s role. Very limited.

Ultimately, I think the Morton sub, and switching to a 4 at the back which resulted in moving Wood wide was what got us back into the game. Just a shame we have to draw against that mob.

A game that I walked away from slightly disappointed despite the late drama. One we could have won, and potentially should have with the chances before their equaliser, but equally a game we could have very easily lost. When you look at it like that, a point is a fair result. Being their cup final, I expected extra time and penalties though…

Two people that have picked up a lot of stick on here over the last week has been Morton & Wood (Waldron too but missing). Wood was much more effective when put onto the right, and his delivery was excellent. Morton moved the ball around quickly and got it out wide well. Both played well and, more importantly for subs, impacted the game positively.

What was very obvious once Coker went off and Moncur had to drop into the three, was just how much we lacked in there in terms of energy levels. Miley was struggling, Husin is still working his way back and Moncur won’t play many 90 minutes. All three were struggling. The last two home games, I’m starting to see what Coker brings to the side. I’m becoming a big fan. He finished his chance well and moves the ball nicely. We lacked energy when he went off.

Taylor is phenomenal. I never rated him in central midfield, but what a centre half he is. Bit like Joelinton at Newcastle who was a poor centre forward, but a revelation in midfield. When I’ve picked my back three before, or looking at who to sign, I just think we’d be better with a genuine centre half there, but I actually think Taylor is. His reading of the game and his tackling is well beyond his years and of someone who can easily adapt to playing higher.

Also, Collin’s save just after the break was incredible, and had that gone in, it could have been a completely different game.

Most around me were screaming for Maher to make changes, and particularly in midfield which we needed to do, but we really lack options. As I say, Wood is our only attacking sub, and went on early. Leaving just Morton who could potentially do something. Maybe Gubbins as an emergency centre half. Maybe put Wind on and tinker with GSM’s role. Very limited.

Ultimately, I think the Morton sub, and switching to a 4 at the back which resulted in moving Wood wide was what got us back into the game. Just a shame we have to draw against that mob.

Harry Taylor is 27, he is 6’ 2” tall and played a lot of games for Barnet at centre back. Curiously he has only ever scored 1 goal in nearly 250 matches. He is at the peak of his career and the model of consistency.

Back