• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-2 Dagenham & Redbridge

Collin 6 - a decent save just after half time but went down injured again. Is he playing through a knock?
Gus 6 - think his goals are masking how under par he’s been so far this season. Extraordinary goalscoring streak though.
Bridge 6 - still missing Fonguck or someone running off him but he sucks in defenders and creates so much space for team-mates even when not at his best.
Taylor 8 - my player of the month so far for August. His inspector gadget legs are incredible.
Crowther 6 - two starts, four goals conceded. We might be missing Kensdale (one goal conceded across his 3 starts) more than his detractors might want to admit. Kensdale would have have been in the ref’s ear for sure.
Ralph 7 - pushing Taylor for player of the month
Miley 6 - seemed to struggle after picking up an injury, giving the ball away uncharacteristically
Noor 7 - a mixed game - and he definitely tired - but our best moments seem to come through him.
Coker 7 - took his goal superbly before hobbling off. He tidies up things so well and we missed that once he went off
Moncur 5 - has a silky touch and can drop a shoulder but runs into trouble a surprising amount for a player with Championship pedigree. Given his reputation I was also expecting someone who can pick a pass but he hasn’t really demonstrated this yet. With about 20 minutes remaining he popped up on the ball and genuinely surprised me as I’d forgotten he was still on the pitch.
Cardwell 8 - had to feed off scraps so far this season but works so hard for the team. His pace and physicality combined with that work rate continually makes life difficult for the opposition. Nice heads up assist for Coker’s goal as well. Would be nice if he had a bit more support and service.

Wood - 7 was surprised it was Wood and not Morton who came on and Wood maybe struggled a little down the middle (Goodship syndrome - when you’re not strong enough to go up against centre halves) towards the end he then wide right and looked much more threatening. Lovely cross in for Gus’ equaliser and it wasn’t the only good ball he put in.
Morton 6 thought Maher showed a real lack of confidence in him. Was tidy when he came on but maybe lacking ambition
Gubbins 6 didn’t have much to do

Well done boys on an incredible fight back, you gave your everything and #nevergiveup was there for all to see.
Gus on BBC Essex too, love him, proclaimimg no way will they give up, what a character.

Was a great game, had a bit of everything and Daggers never came to dive around like Hartlepool. They looked worse than last season and their penalty was very fortunate to the plastic Irons fans, bitter pill to swallow as just like Barnet we were on top.

Well done W block, absolutely raucous in there today and true limbs at the end for the equaliser. Praying Kev manages a couple of signings very soon.
Congrats to Crowther, Moreton, Wood, Moncur all stepping in and doing ok with this depleted team.

I've written to Santa for a new striker, honestly we create so many chances...

I'm not going to let the late snatched equaliser paper over the very huge cracks that have appeared.

Again this monotonous side to side, zero penetration, zero risk football to try and not lose matches has to stop! When necessity made it apparent we had to drive for goal, chuck in the odd early cross we looked dangerous.

Colin - love him, super save beginning of the second half. His technique is championship level or above -7

Taylor - take a bow fella, immense - absolutely bossed every battle he had today -9

Ralph - some slips but also some incredible tackling -7

Crowther - was largely anonymous, didn't do much wrong but didn't dominate like he did last year -6

Gus - didn't do too much until the last 10 when he went Del Piero and racing inside, he's such a find of a player, he keeps this up I'd not be surprised if bid fly in January 4 already this season! -8

Bridge - I find him so frustrating, creates superb space for himself with his jinks and runs but almost always delays the cross for way too long or just hits a powder puff front post to the defender - 6

Noor - flat today, doesn't look at the races at all -6

Miley - horrendous game, bar the one last ditch tackle, mistimed passes, positioning was off - might be injured I don't know but so pedestrian in everything he has been doing of late -5

Coker - nice composed finish, but then got injured, unlucky -6

Moncur- such a tidy little player, tried to make things happen, definitely could do with some cardio work, but way better than this league -7

Cards - great layoff for the goal, pulled their players out of position but had very few chances -7

Subs - all meh, I hadn't noticed it before, but others have said - Wood has the touch of a tree trunk and Morton looked lively, Gubbins did a job - 6

Without getting players in and or start attacking teams with a bit of gusto, few players taking chances to hit and early cross or shot we are going to finish lower than last year and for me that's a massive disappointment

As well as being outside the box, just, it was an accidental clash of legs. Jack even tried to stop himself, but the momentum was too great.
Sorry, but he was the wrong side of the player.
This freeze frame stuff is all well and good, but in real time it looked nailed on.
The ref has a few heartbeats to decide, and we'd have been up in arms if not given at the other end.
I guess that's where VAR comes in useful, not that we'll ever know, sadly...

Sorry, but he was the wrong side of the player.
This freeze frame stuff is all well and good, but in real time it looked nailed on.
The ref has a few heartbeats to decide, and we'd have been up in arms if not given at the other end.
I guess that's where VAR comes in useful, not that we'll ever know, sadly...
He was, but at no point has Bridge ever pretended to be a defender and if you end up with him as your last man that’s what happens.

Have to take that as a decent point given the injuries and lack of depth. The real frustration is that this now feels self-imposed. There's no excuse to not be fielding a full bench when you've got 8,500 fans packing out the stadium.

Kev had his hands tied with the options he had on the bench. What could he really change? Add another defender? Or another holding midfielder? He needs backing with options. Luckily today Wood produced late on, but we need more quality if we want to beat teams. Several of our key men from last year looking well off the pace with Bridge, Miley, etc. A bit more competition and a rest would do them wonders.

Tactically, thought Kev played it quite well in the earlier stages. Wood coming on for Coker mixed that up a bit, but we held our own. Bridge should know better than to concede a penalty like that, and then was ball watching for their second.

Feel like this team could kick on after this, a big dramatic late equaliser in front of a big crowd, hopefully one or two additions as the EFL window shuts and Fylde should be an easier opponent next weekend.

Collin 6 He really needs to work on penalties, especially if we keep conceding this many.
GSM 8 Should be playing at a higher level and it shows.
Taylor 7 Dived in perhaps a little too much too early, but looked solid on the right and drove forwards well.
Crowther 6 Strong in the air, but don't think he organises the backline as well as Kensdale.
Ralph 6 Left exposed by Bridge at times, did what he could.
Bridge 4 Worst I've seen from him in some time. Slow, off the pace, and not involved.
Coker 7 Very well taken goal and looked to be a bit more direct, hope the injury isn't too bad.
Miley 5 Similar to Bridge. Not sure if that knock got to him, but his passing was wayward, his tackling sloppy, just didn't look himself.
Husin 5 On another day he could've scored 2 or 3. He doesn't quite yet fully match sharp to me.
Moncur 7 Excellent technique, but could barely stay on his feet by the end so needs to work on his fitness a little more.
Cardwell 6 Just looks a half yard slow to anticipate or make a run, but did have that great chance saved by Justham.

Subs
Wood 7 Excellent deliveries in those closing stages, if only he'd shown that kind of precision earlier on.
Gubbins N/A As soon as he came on we went on the front foot and he didn't have too much left to do.
Morton N/A Didn't do much.
You obviously weren't watching the same match as me.m,

Performance aside, not being able to fill a bench when you have 8.5k fans packing out the stadium is embarrassing.

Why we’re not able to add a few squad players at least to add some options is concerning me. Having to bring on Wood as our only hope in attack (he was very poor except a nice cross for the goal) and a centre back just so we can rejig others is not going to help us secure mid table, let alone play-offs.

An entertaining game, but one we really should be winning.

You obviously weren't watching the same match as me.m,
We have to find a way to kill off a game by scoring a second goal when one up. That means the consortium coming up with some money if promotion is on the cards. Fans are playing their part by turning up in numbers so hopefully they will want to keep the momentum on the boil.

Whilst I appreciate everyone at the club appears to be totally immune from any criticism, I'm afraid I'm going to buck the trend and state the obvious...which is that this was pretty **** poor bar about 15 minutes of play.

It feels like we have no identity. Very little urgency, very little composure in dangerous areas, and this idea of being good without the ball - well I think we need to go back to the drawing board as we gave Dagenham more time and space in attacking areas than they will likely get from any other team in this league.

Every time Colin has the ball at his feet I'm bracing myself for a minor coronary.

Plenty of work to be done.

Back