• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-2 Dagenham & Redbridge

Some positives. Moncur played 90 minutes- I suspect he needs that and getting that into his system regularly will make a big difference to what he can bring. Wood had a better game. Morton when he came on. Taylor. Bridge.

But this league is tough this year as the results today suggest. “Title contenders” Barnet comfortably beaten by Maidenhead, a lot of teams will also believe they can make the playoffs.

How comfortably we can make the playoffs, or critically, threaten the top three, will depend on transfers.

At the moment we can’t fill the bench and have one fit forward looking at it harshly. And squad depth under the new rules makes a big difference that other teams will use.

We probably need at least 3-4 in still to have the quality and depth of squad to be really competitive. The budget will no doubt determine how good those 3-4 are not withstanding the possibility of JS unearthing a gem. Another GSM would be nice- what a player..

Last edited:
Pleased for Wood , first time i can remember he has been given good minutes , got an assist could have been two had Cards header been on target, Bridge should just be an impact player from the bench , we need a striker and a commanding no bull**** midfield general and a winger . And isnt Gus just awesome , going to be hard to keep him im afraid. Hes destined for better things .

Today was all about squad strength and depth. Or lack of it.

Crowther didn’t have his best day as stand in for Kensdale, and we missed Wright and Waldron as options up front. Wood is still a bit lightweight and ineffective for me.

We started the game really well though and at 1-0 hopes were high for a comfy home win. A soft pen and an injury to Ollie Coker were the turning point and we dropped off massively from then until extra time at the end of the second half.

Suddenly then a bit of urgency returned and Daggers were desperately manning the barricades - but GSM knows where the goal is.

Can’t wait for that bloody transfer window to shut because surely someone in the EFL is looking. We need some new signings - three or four minimum - urgently.
Moncur playing up in support of Cards did look good up until Cokes came off- wondering if an option could have been going

Morton
Miley- Moncur
Husin

Instead of Wood up top and dropping Moncur back?

Today was all about squad strength and depth. Or lack of it.

Crowther didn’t have his best day as stand in for Kensdale, and we missed Wright and Waldron as options up front. Wood is still a bit lightweight and ineffective for me.

We started the game really well though and at 1-0 hopes were high for a comfy home win. A soft pen and an injury to Ollie Coker were the turning point and we dropped off massively from then until extra time at the end of the second half.

Suddenly then a bit of urgency returned and Daggers were desperately manning the barricades - but GSM knows where the goal is.

Can’t wait for that bloody transfer window to shut because surely someone in the EFL is looking. We need some new signings - three or four minimum - urgently.
Wright?

Moncur playing up in support of Cards did look good up until Cokes came off- wondering if an option could have been going

Morton
Miley- Moncur
Husin

Instead of Wood up top and dropping Moncur back?
Yeah Moncur’s close control, movement and awareness were on a different level to everyone else on that pitch. If we can get him fit for 90 minutes and keep him there he’ll be massive for us this year. Just need to sort out some of the rubble around him.

It feels like we’re on a knife edge - a quality signing or two and we’ll be contenders. Another injury or two and we’ll be a disjointed mess bobbling around mid table at best.

That diamond looks decent, and would have been a better option today when Ollie went off IMO. We need better most weeks though but someone is going to need to get the chequebook out sharpish.

Much to complain about except the commitment. The way we finished the game was heroic.

Injuries are stretching our small squad to the limit and some warm bodies are needed and soon.

Thought Wood did many good things and certainly did not look 'useless'.

Some strange results today: Boston winning 2/0 at York and Barnet losing 3/1 to Maidenhead!

This league is going to be a long old slog and in the long run today's point may prove to be invaluable.

The game itself was I thought great entertainment.

When your team gives their all I for one can forgive them for a lot.

No negativity from here. Coming back like that took a bit of doing and suggests great team spirit.

Fingers crossed and no further injuries so we can mount a proper challenge at the week end.

1 point is better than nothing, I can image York City and Barnet fans gone into meltdowns today after losing to team they should be beating easily.

We need 2 forwards and 1 LWB.

Maidenhead showed me why Barnet is **** poor, as they pushed them into making mistakes.

Colin 6 - One good save at start of second half, distribution better than Saturday.
GSM 9 - MOTM - Everywhere, supporting the attack, ran the right side and of course that goal.
Taylor 7 - Solid at the back and one of the first on the teamsheet.
Crowther 6 - Solid at first, one poor run out of defence. Still a good prospect.
Ralph 7 - Supported Bridge and had a good game.
Bridge 3 - Poor crossing, rarely beat the first defender, never pressured the far post area, when balls came in from the right. Needs to learn from Gus how to be effective at the far post. Not the indispensable player he was a couple of seasons ago.
Moncur 6 - offered a little more vision in midfield. Hard to get off the ball and gave easy passes and kept possession well.
Miley 5 - Another yellow, first suspension can't be far off. Loose passing. Did at least drive forward on occassion.
Husin 5 - Poor. careless passing, lost the ball and played well below his ability.
Coker 6 - Scored but went off early.
Cardwell 6 - Battled well. Good layback for the goal. fed off scraps once more.

Wood 6 - Worked the channels well. Instinctive effort just wide in the first half. decent cross for Gus' goal. Perhaps he can teach Jack how to cross!
Morton 6 - Did well in a team chasing the game and made himself available.
Gubbins6 - Did better in the middle and moved the ball well.

Yeah Moncur’s close control, movement and awareness were on a different level to everyone else on that pitch. If we can get him fit for 90 minutes and keep him there he’ll be massive for us this year. Just need to sort out some of the rubble around him.

It feels like we’re on a knife edge - a quality signing or two and we’ll be contenders. Another injury or two and we’ll be a disjointed mess bobbling around mid table at best.
I would suggest that fitness will come from playing regularly and 80/90 mins regularly. Not from the training pitch. BTW loved how he straight away went over to Wood to give him a big hug to celebrate his ball into Gus for the goal.

Some positives. Moncur played 90 minutes- I suspect he needs that and getting that into his system regularly will make a big difference to what he can bring. Wood had a better game. Morton when he came on. Taylor. Bridge.

But this league is tough this year as the results today suggest. “Title contenders” Barnet comfortably beaten by Maidenhead, a lot of teams will also believe they can make the playoffs.

How comfortably we can make the playoffs, or critically, threaten the top three, will depend on transfers.

At the moment we can’t fill the bench and have one fit forward looking at it harshly. And squad depth under the new rules makes a big difference that other teams will use.

We probably need at least 3-4 in still to have the quality and depth of squad to be really competitive. The budget will no doubt determine how good those 3-4 are not withstanding the possibility of JS unearthing a gem. Another GSM would be nice- what a player..
You are taking a big risk KB mentioning squad size on a regular basis :Winking:

It makes one wonder whether GSM would be more useful in midfield with Wind at RWB?
BUT...we sorely lack penetration.
I'm sorry; but Wood's 72 minutes produced two decent crosses. Someone suggested he'd be better on the right wing; maybe they have a point.
Husin and Bridge?
They've been OK in the past although Jackie's predictability has long been sussed.
It's recruits, or it's mid-table.
That said, the match was great entertainment. More of the same, but 3-2 next time!

Some early season frustrations, no disasters no need for panic. Couple more signings, get a couple back from treatment room and we are going to be fine.
Still think we will make the play offs.
Let's continue to back the boys they have more than earned a little patience.

Nothing against you... But that reply is the proper issue. "What shall we sing about" we where much better than them first half. We should have been right behind them with 8000+
I always sing up. Tell that to the mugs in the rest of the ****ing ground that sit there doing nothing all game whilst Block W tries to get it going. Our support is ****ing dire.

We should have absolutely battered them, we made more than enough clear cut chances.

We desperately need another striker, we also need more options in midfield.
What we need is 2-3 quality players to take us to the next level I.e. right up there - we.aren’t far off- not squad players. That requires investment probably. A forward, and probably some real pace in the wide areas probably most important- but what do I know.

Back