• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Shrimpers unlikely to complete deal for midfielder Pedder

The posters on here throwing stones at those criticising or showing concern here seem to think that because of the many good things COSU have done mean we’re now unable to express any opinion with a negative.

Would be extremely dull on here if we take every single piece of news with an “oh well” attitude.

I don’t think it’s unfair for fans to question the decision to offer a player with a decent pedigree, who was one of the few bright sparks on the pitch during pre-season, when we’re blatantly short in his position - the same deal as we’ve offered the likes of our unproven youth team players (if the article is to be believed… and that is all we have to go on!)

Can we stop the knocking down of anyone that isn’t writing love poems to Justin Rees?
Decent pedigree? The lad has played 6 senior games and a record of injuries. Good riddance I say

At this time just some three weeks after completion, the consortium have a multitude of creditors that they have committed to get paid, creditors left behind by Ron the Rat. They also need to spend money at Roots Hall to get it suitable for the season. They have spent money on playing staff with many contracts renewed in the Summer (at a time when their investment wasn't safe), they have also made some signings. They are in this for the long haul and need to set the foundations and clear some debts first, or we simply return to the days of having a season ticket for the courts, and the slippery road to oblivion.

Lets take a breath and be grateful that we have a club to moan about. I appreciate we all want everything now but we must be sensible and take a steady path to success. Paying too much for unproven players simply upsets the tight team we have built last season, you cant have large discrepancies in the wage at this level it simple breeds unrest in the team and presents the manager with more headaches. It is a simply case of risks outweighing benefits. I for one will trust John Still and Kev to make the right call, and the consortium to support them when the time is right.

We don't know exactly the circumstance around what failed to materialize with this deal so speculating on what 'other' clubs can or are doing, or what we should have done is of course fair, but given the last few years we Shrimpers have experienced I would have thought that we should be a little more patient, as we know more than most football fans exactly what goes wrong if you let money dictate your thinking.
totally agree with this. covering Ron's **** ups will be bloody expensive. ****er

Have we learnt nothing from the last few years? Has everyone forgotten signing loads of injury prone or past it players who mainly didn’t give a **** to get into the Championship under Powell …and look where we ended up.

It would be madness offering someone like Pedder a contract on decent money for his hamstring to pack in after a few games.

I’d rather trust people with good business sense to run the club. Kev will be frustated by lack of squad depth .. we all are .. but let’s look at the bigger picture .. as for Moncur/Tshimanga and the like .. if it ain’t making sense financially it won’t happen. Rightly so.
Kev doesn’t interview like he’s the one deciding we don’t need the players he recent interviews show he is equally as frustrated as some of us that we can’t won’t get a deal over the line ..

But he’s entitled to say that I know he goes to every game his judgment would probably be better than yours to be fair
Your all for my judgment jumping in my DMs regularly though ain’t you PeteJames or whatever your name is.

We know when you are struggling to disagree with a post because you revert to the opinions thing, as another poster stated I never said he isn’t entitled to his opinion but I’m putting across a valid counter opinion

Yes so smart that we released 7 players last year and have only signed 4 and haven’t improved the squad and got outplayed by York because of it proper smart that ain’t it
They took over three weeks ago! Since that miniscule amount of time has passed, they've managed to gain safety certificates, acquire fantastic sponsorship deals for the stadium, get a new scoreboard, get a great shirt sponsor, get our best players signed up to deals and have plans laid down for a new fan zone. All in 3 weeks! Let's not also forget that they ploughed in millions to keep our beloved club alive when they owned absolutely zero legally. Through their contacts and friendships, also got the D2 lounge built.

I'm sorry, but what did people really expect? Had they taken over back in October like it was supposed to, then maybe the comments would be valid, but they didn't. It's not like they promised the world and went back on it. They have stated time and time again, on many platforms, they are striving for sustainability. We would all like a few more players in, Kev included, but it has to be the right ones and at the right price. I actually can't believe there is any kind of flak aimed at COSU for all they have done. It is madness. Give them time!

Decent pedigree? The lad has played 6 senior games and a record of injuries. Good riddance I say
Without wanting to get too drawn in to this, he has been in the youth teams of Spurs and QPR, which is a decent pedigree - more so than a player of a similar age that has been through Southend’s youth system. Whatever we say about his lack of senior games or whether his injury from last season will reappear or not, he was always going to command a wage higher than someone breaking through from our Under 18’s.

Regardless, sounds like this one is done and I just hope we have some more options lined up within budget. It’s going to be a tough ask to get the 3/4 more bodies through the door that Kev wants judging by snippets like this that we’re hearing.

And now we do with 4000 st let’s push on and go for promotion.
I assume you’ve never run a business or taken over a business with mass debt? If you had you would understand that this and never will be a quick fix. SUFC is business that has been allowed to run itself into the ground and within minutes of liquidation. Cosu have already spent £4m plus whilst not owning the club so we can forgive them for being careful how they budget and spend their money. If we have to stabilise this season so be it. However we have a squad of players who without -10 points would have been in the play offs, even then we nearly did. I wonder if people would be so negative had we won on Saturday. We’ve played one game against a decent York side and were minutes away from winning. The season will not be one or lost on the back of one result. People need to be patient and give Cosu a chance to rebuild the football club and it will take tine

I can’t understand how anyone can read anything negative re SUFC from the statement.

We offered him the same deal that others have accepted. Why would we do something different?

How happy would you be if you were paid X amour and your firm employed someone else with your skills and experience for X amount 0@us 20%. You probably wouldn’t be happy about it and it would bread resentment and damage team morale- exactly the opposite of what we are trying to create.
Unfortunately u21 players even in the Championship are likely very well paid, didn’t Kelman go off to QPR u21s and far more £££? And so they have these expectations on wages no doubt- and he definitely won’t equate himself with a NL youngster- so maybe not a surprise- reality may or may not soon bite him very hard. It was probably relatively easy for us to say thanks but no thanks.

Kev doesn’t interview like he’s the one deciding we don’t need the players he recent interviews show he is equally as frustrated as some of us that we can’t won’t get a deal over the line ..
Yeah you’re right, he comes across as frustrated but look he’ll know COSU won’t be chucking cash at this, or he should. Makes his job harder without a doubt .. he’s the one having to put a team out. Still would rather we didn’t pay over the odds for a fella who’s hardly played at this level who’s possibly injury prone.

Haven’t seen Pedder play but he profiles as someone more for next season instead of this season.

Whilst he might have given us a short term boost you can’t be relying on someone with 5 senior appearances (one a 89th minute sub appearance, another when he went off at ht) for a 46 game season.

That means we need to get someone else in who’s more of a sure thing over an entire season - and they’re going to command the starter’s wage that some want paid to Pedder.

There’s room for players like Pedder but only at the right price and they need to prove their worth and their durability before being paid like a first team starter.

This will be why other clubs weren’t snapping him up and why his alternative is the US.

It’s heartening to see the club finally be responsible and attempt to be sustainable. We’ve had enough Kiernans and Kightlys who we’ve had to pay off their contracts.

Let's have a reality check here! Thankfully our Club was saved by COSU and that's only reason people tonight can express opinions on transfers and budgets! If COSU had turned around post takeover and said there would be no funding for new players until January at the earliest due to the costs of the protracted takeover then you would have to suck it up or get ****ed off, not buy a season ticket if that was your choice or trust in COSU judgement. Fortunately a budget has been made available which will be set against the long term financial strategy for the Club. We got taken over by people who will do their best for the Club in the best way they know how and considering we were not the subject of some bidding war with Oil rich foreign nationals fighting to take control and throw millions at a 'project' I don't think we've ended up to badly!

I’ve been doing some digging on this, as last I heard was he was due to be announced, just waiting on him being fully fit.

He had agreed terms initially and was even in our squad list around Roots Hall and Boots and Laces, and then got wind of an opportunity in the States. He then backed out of the deal and started to play silly buggers, which has gone down like a led balloon.

He demanded bigger money as that’s what he thinks he can get in the States, and he may well, who knows hey. We stuck to our guns, like we did with Brooklyn, so Pedder said goodbye.

Sensible from Kev & co in not bowing to his demands, and shows we don’t bend over to players. We have a budget in place, and a wage we are prepared to give different “levels” of players. He was deemed as a promising young player, and that’s what his pay would have reflected, and been heavily (not mega money, but who get the jist) incentivised on his performances.

He hasn’t shown himself in the best light. I never saw him play, so can’t comment on the on the field stuff, but his off the field antics in the last 24/48 hours haven’t been of the character of someone we’d like at this football club…

Obviously it’s just easier to blame COSU, Kev or whoever for “not even being able to sign a freebie”…

I’ve been doing some digging on this, as last I heard was he was due to be announced, just waiting on him being fully fit.

He had agreed terms initially and was even in our squad list around Roots Hall and Boots and Laces, and then got wind of an opportunity in the States. He then backed out of the deal and started to play silly buggers, which has gone down like a led balloon.

He demanded bigger money as that’s what he thinks he can get in the States, and he may well, who knows hey. We stuck to our guns, like we did with Brooklyn, so Pedder said goodbye.

Sensible from Kev & co in not bowing to his demands, and shows we don’t bend over to players. We have a budget in place, and a wage we are prepared to give different “levels” of players. He was deemed as a promising young player, and that’s what his pay would have reflected, and been heavily (not mega money, but who get the jist) incentivised on his performances.

He hasn’t shown himself in the best light. I never saw him play, so can’t comment on the on the field stuff, but his off the field antics in the last 24/48 hours haven’t been of the character of someone we’d like at this football club…

Obviously it’s just easier to blame COSU, Kev or whoever for “not even being able to sign a freebie”…
I’m sure you realise that this spin on the story does make a huge difference though. We can only react to the information that gets reported, which the Echo story makes sound a lot different to the story that you’ve mentioned… The extra detail you’ve given changes the outlook, and I would agree that he’s not worth it if he’s playing us around!

Come on mate, I’m all for different opinions, but we both know that the posters who’ve had stones thrown at them haven’t simply questioned the decision to offer Pedder the same terms as other unproven players.

They’ve had stones thrown at them for being doom and gloom merchants, making sweeping statements, or jumping to completely unfair or unproven conclusions like ‘can’t even sign a free agent’, ‘we haven’t got a pot to **** in’, ‘we’re acting like a small club’, ‘our aim and budget is mid-table’, as well as digs about our recruitment ability.
Spot. On.

We have improved in the players we’ve brought in though

Gubbins > Lomas
Walker > Powell
Wind > Demetriou

IMO they are all improvements with possible high re sell value … granted we still need a few more but to say we are not improving is a very poor and lazy observation
Far too much logic and reason.

But he’s entitled to say that I know he goes to every game his judgment would probably be better than yours to be fair
Christ.

And now we do with 4000 st let’s push on and go for promotion.
You do realise there is a £2m PER YEAR black hole in the club's finances that needs to be closed, don't you?

Regardless, sounds like this one is done and I just hope we have some more options lined up within budget. It’s going to be a tough ask to get the 3/4 more bodies through the door that Kev wants judging by snippets like this that we’re hearing.
There will likely be more options open to us once the transfer window has closed.

If there was ever a thread to make me consider wanting a return to the pre-takeover state of play, it's this. I know football fans are, by their nature, fickle, but this thread is something else. I had really hoped that coming oh so close to losing this football entirely might have helped everybody find a bit of patience and tolerance.

I’m sure you realise that this spin on the story does make a huge difference though. We can only react to the information that gets reported, which the Echo story makes sound a lot different to the story that you’ve mentioned… The extra detail you’ve given changes the outlook, and I would agree that he’s not worth it if he’s playing us around!

Overreact it should be.

Back