• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Shrimpers unlikely to complete deal for midfielder Pedder

It does not read very satisfctory for us, nor will it be a good reflection on young Pedder. Anyone signing him may have a few doubts about lack of commitment and lack of transparency;- add in the waste of time, effort and expense stuff.
I don't wish the lad ill, a new job isn't a lightly taken decision, however it doesn't reflect well on him; football is a small circle and even clubs across the pond will do their research and tap up those that know.

Last edited:
But why should we renegotiate on a deal that had previously been agreed.

I donā€™t know figures. But as CP stayed in his Echo story, we was offered a similar deal to what promising youngsters get. He was fine with that until he got news of the States. I donā€™t knock him for wanting to try the States, Iā€™d be tempted, but donā€™t use that to try and negotiate a better deal than what you previously agreed.
If someone is offering him better terms he has every right to see if weā€™ll match it. Why should he take less than his market value? Iā€™m sure many Zoners have used offers elsewhere to get a pay rise.

Equally the club is entitled to stick to their previous offer and can call his bluff if they think itā€™s all just a negotiation ploy.

If someone is offering him better terms he has every right to see if weā€™ll match it. Why should he take less than his market value? Iā€™m sure many Zoners have used offers elsewhere to get a pay rise.

Equally the club is entitled to stick to their previous offer and can call his bluff if they think itā€™s all just a negotiation ploy.

He hasnā€™t been offered anything by anyone in the States yet.

Iā€™ve no problem with anyone trying to get more money. Football is a short career, and these players arenā€™t on Premiership wages, so if you can get an extra Ā£500 or whatever else why, good luck.

But, he has agreed terms, he was happy with what was being offered, until he wasnā€™t. Iā€™m glad the club stuck to their guns. It might backfire and he might be incredible, but we are working to a budget, not bending over like we used to with RM.

This is, of course, true. However, it always leaves a bad taste with the party that has already agreed terms you. And I am very happy our response was no thatā€™s not how we roll.

Also why ask us to match terms- is he saying if we do he will accept again (until the Americans appear to be offering more). If the American opportunity is the right one for his career he should go irrespective of whether we match it? Conversely if we are the right one he should keep to what he has agreed and get on with it.

This is, of course, true. However, it always leaves a bad taste with the party that has already agreed terms you. And I am very happy our response was no thatā€™s not how we roll.

Also why ask us to match terms- is he saying if we do he will accept again (until the Americans appear to be offering more). If the American opportunity is the right one for his career he should go irrespective of whether we match it? Conversely if we are the right one he should keep to what he has agreed and get on with it.
We know from experience players and agents all talk and if we bowed down to Pedder (unknown quantity) apart from a few good games against poor opposition in pre season, how does that look to other players and agents

He hasnā€™t been offered anything by anyone in the States yet.

Iā€™ve no problem with anyone trying to get more money. Football is a short career, and these players arenā€™t on Premiership wages, so if you can get an extra Ā£500 or whatever else why, good luck.

But, he has agreed terms, he was happy with what was being offered, until he wasnā€™t. Iā€™m glad the club stuck to their guns. It might backfire and he might be incredible, but we are working to a budget, not bending over like we used to with RM.
Arenā€™t agents supposed to be there to provide wise counsel? And maybe that a bird in the hand and all thatā€¦Or is it the agent trying (and failing) to prove he is the master negotiator

If weā€™d already agreed terms with him why hadnā€™t he actually signed?

This is a player we had on trial four games ago. Weā€™ve had plenty of time to get a deal completed. Donā€™t know if it was the player or the club but it seems that one, if not both, have been dragging their feet.

If weā€™d already agreed terms with him why hadnā€™t he actually signed?

This is a player we had on trial four games ago. Weā€™ve had plenty of time to get a deal completed. Donā€™t know if it was the player or the club but it seems that one, if not both, have been dragging their feet.
I assume if you agree terms verbally then the club have to draw up the contract for signature reflecting those terms.

He was a trialist so the point is to demonstrate you are worth a contract- both parties go in on that understanding. Doesnā€™t change the fact that he agreed terms and then wanted to renegotiate. It then becomes how you feel about that. Personally thatā€™s a no (and the club did the right thing). Probably a bit old fashioned of me. Others may feel thatā€™s acceptable right up to the contract actually being signed. Fine but I personally wouldnā€™t work that way.

As always there probably isnā€™t a right or wrong- just a question of how the club want to approach such situations

I assume if you agree terms verbally then the club have to draw up the contract for signature reflecting those terms.

He was a trialist so the point is to demonstrate you are worth a contract- both parties go in on that understanding. Doesnā€™t change the fact that he agreed terms and then wanted to renegotiate. It then becomes how you feel about that. Personally thatā€™s a no (and the club did the right thing). Probably a bit old fashioned of me. Others may feel thatā€™s acceptable right up to the contract actually being signed. Fine but I personally wouldnā€™t work that way.

As always there probably isnā€™t a right or wrong- just a question of how the club want to approach such situations
The amount of money offered to any player should reflect the value the club places on him which is why expected first team regulars earn more than those younger players trying to break into the side. It is up to KM and others to decide on the expected pecking order of the player and offer him a wage reflecting this. I have no issue with any player trying to obtain the best wage possible but prudent management (often absent in football) demands the club offer no more than his assessed worth.
In respect of Pedder, or any other player Southend offer a contract to, if he can make more elsewhere he should go there and he can do so with my blessing.
For football clubs with limited budgets (ie almost everyone) over paying players is the road to ruin.

You were in his DM's 2 weeks ago šŸ˜‰
No idea what you are talking about. Ive not seen him play as he didnt play in either games i saw. I did speak to him at Chelmsford and he was keen to sign and said he hoped a deal could ne sorted. If he had signed id support him as much as the next player. But no player should be signed at risk to the club whether thats wages or fitness. he clearly has been offered a deal in line with his footballing history and he clearly hasnt agreed so we move on. As for decent pedigree as said before he has played 6 games at senior level so hard to say he has pedigree. Wind for example has played over 100 games at senior level.

Iā€™ve been doing some digging on this, as last I heard was he was due to be announced, just waiting on him being fully fit.

He had agreed terms initially and was even in our squad list around Roots Hall and Boots and Laces, and then got wind of an opportunity in the States. He then backed out of the deal and started to play silly buggers, which has gone down like a led balloon.

He demanded bigger money as thatā€™s what he thinks he can get in the States, and he may well, who knows hey. We stuck to our guns, like we did with Brooklyn, so Pedder said goodbye.

Sensible from Kev & co in not bowing to his demands, and shows we donā€™t bend over to players. We have a budget in place, and a wage we are prepared to give different ā€œlevelsā€ of players. He was deemed as a promising young player, and thatā€™s what his pay would have reflected, and been heavily (not mega money, but who get the jist) incentivised on his performances.

He hasnā€™t shown himself in the best light. I never saw him play, so canā€™t comment on the on the field stuff, but his off the field antics in the last 24/48 hours havenā€™t been of the character of someone weā€™d like at this football clubā€¦

Obviously itā€™s just easier to blame COSU, Kev or whoever for ā€œnot even being able to sign a freebieā€ā€¦

Really hope we are now getting the reputation for being a bit better at negotiation than being figuratively bent over every time. Chapeau to the Football Department.

Christ, just read all of this thread and I do wonder what some fans expect. I was worried as soon as I saw everyone on social media going on about 'P*ssing the league' this season. It was never going to happen.

We've released a few, lost one and gained a few. Yes, it's not been the most inspiring summer transfer window which we all would have loved but that's hardly surprising.

I have no issue with a 'prove it' type contract for a player with practically no experience and a injury record, if we rolled out the red carpet for him it would have been nothing short of careless from COSU. If he's got a better offer elsewhere then no problem, fair enough, totally understandable.

Ultimately the transfer window hasn't matched the positive hype around the club but that's because COSU want to get us in the green (thank god), not to mention we were under the embargo for weeks whilst the best players were getting snapped up. Panic buying would be the worst thing ever, I wouldn't be surprised if we're waiting for the teams in league 2/1/Championship to finish their deals, finalise their squads and then we'll get some loans in. Hardly the worst thing ever all things considered.

I think we're pretty much at the same standard as last season, albeit without Husin whilst he's out injured. The only real loss we've suffered is Fonguck leaving. For me this was a big loss because I've always said he creates space for Bridge with his overlaps and Jack always played better when Fonguck was on the pitch, a lot of his work went unnoticed.

There's no doubt we're 3 players (now we've signed a keeper) from being a cert for the playoffs this season. I believe we now have a squad of 21, I'd love that to be 24. Few smart loans could be the answer IMO.

Really hope we are now getting the reputation for being a bit better at negotiation than being figuratively bent over every time. Chapeau to the Football Department.
Me too. We are now in a position where agents can no longer say, "Come on, my client is taking a big risk coming to you with your reputation, for that risk, we want an extra X amount of Ā£'s."

We can now say, "We are well run club, with a good reputation, brilliant fan base and a club that pays it's players on time." Agents will no longer have an excuse to try and bark up prices. What wonderful times.

Me too. We are now in a position where agents can no longer say, "Come on, my client is taking a big risk coming to you with your reputation, for that risk, we want an extra X amount of Ā£'s."

We can now say, "We are well run club, with a good reputation, brilliant fan base and a club that pays it's players on time." Agents will no longer have an excuse to try and bark up prices. What wonderful times.

When the word amongst agents is no longer "Don't bother you wont get paid".....Thats when we will do some really good business.

Yes I know we have new owners but a bad smell hangs around even after the toilet is flushed. As for the one game defines your season merchants.....They don't give out trophies at the end of August they do that in May. The fact we haven't got big squad but are decent club for NL means we will be in a great position in a few weeks when the big boys of the EFL want to loan their young talent.

The fact that we have got our act together could well mean more of the caliber of Lopata and Harrison Neal.

Interesting that on the face of it no other club in the EFL or NL was interested in Pedder, presumably on fitness/injury prone grounds. It would have been a gamble clearly but just how much of a gap was there between what was offered and the player's demands? Surely it could not have been that significant, just a matter of principle in the player or his agent trying to renegotiate what had previously been agreed if we are to believe certain claimed in the know posts on here.
This^^^

I was going to post very similar. Its also interesting that he's apparently going to try and make it in America? Not exactly a Footballing powerhouse!

The money may well be better, but, I would suggest he'll not achieve much in the footballing world. Perhaps his motivation is mammon?

Back