• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Shrimpers unlikely to complete deal for midfielder Pedder

Sorry are we seriously getting het up about not signing a 22 year old with no more than a handful of senior appearances , mainly at a level below us. That spent a chunk of last season injured and has the same injury flair up again preseason. All based on a couple of cameo’s against teams a few divisions below us ?
I think we are getting het up about it as we’re consistently unable to improve in the area that’s so glaringly obvious we need to - and we’re now at a point of being unable to sign an unattached under 23’s player… So I’d say it’s fair!

I get that but since cosu have officially taken over about 3 weeks ago we’ve signed 2 players wind and hilson which has left us unprepared for the season it isn’t good enough how much longer do we need to sign some players ?
I do agree with you on that, I think the lack of transfer window if you like doesn’t really help us in a sense

I think we are getting het up about it as we’re consistently unable to improve in the area that’s so glaringly obvious we need to - and we’re now at a point of being unable to sign an unattached under 23’s player… So I’d say it’s fair!
Unable or unwilling ? Who is to say that another more suitable target hasn’t become available? Or that Pedder was asking way above market price given his experience ? He has been here long enough for the management team to have a look at him….injuries aside, so we need to trust their judgement and see who does turn up…I think to start outting COSU over this is very harsh.

Looks like cosu aim is mid table as seems our budget level, maybe being bit dramatic just seems poor can’t get anything over the line .
The aim is to be sustainable. If we havent got the money we walk away. We are not going down the Ron route by throwing money around just to have a chance on promotion. Then when it fails we are in serious debt and struggling. Lets just enjoy the season of having our club back and see if we can sneak into the playoffs

Can someone copy and paste the article please
RAFFERTY Pedder seems unlikely to sign for Southend United, Echosport understands.

Pedder had been on trial with the Shrimpers during pre-season and featured in friendlies against both Gillingham and Ballyfermot United.

Blues opted to offer the 22-year-old midfielder the same deal handed to several of their young players but have been unable to agree terms.

READ MORE: Oli Coker aims to build on opening day draw

And Pedder is now believed to be exploring an opportunity to play in the USA.

The Shrimpers remain keen to bolster their options in the centre of the park and are still without Noor Husin who is working his way back to full fitness after shin surgery in the summer .

Blues started the National League season with a 1-1 draw against York City at Roots Hall on Saturday and head to Hartlepool United this weekend.

Well people on here have said 20% less I don’t get it spend the money not silly amounts, but at least let Kev be competitive might aswell have embargo back. I get they wanna be sustainable but will take few years anyway
I don’t believe it can be 20% than last years budget- we only just upper third of the league with that weren’t we?

The aim is to be sustainable. If we havent got the money we walk away. We are not going down the Ron route by throwing money around just to have a chance on promotion. Then when it fails we are in serious debt and struggling. Lets just enjoy the season of having our club back and see if we can sneak into the playoffs
Why tho we pay one of if not the highest season ticket prices in the league we’ve sold the most season tickets in the league average 6500 7000 most weeks in the 5 th tier we should be aiming for top 3 minimum

Explain then or just put that with out any info on what I don’t understand.
At this time just some three weeks after completion, the consortium have a multitude of creditors that they have committed to get paid, creditors left behind by Ron the Rat. They also need to spend money at Roots Hall to get it suitable for the season. They have spent money on playing staff with many contracts renewed in the Summer (at a time when their investment wasn't safe), they have also made some signings. They are in this for the long haul and need to set the foundations and clear some debts first, or we simply return to the days of having a season ticket for the courts, and the slippery road to oblivion.

Lets take a breath and be grateful that we have a club to moan about. I appreciate we all want everything now but we must be sensible and take a steady path to success. Paying too much for unproven players simply upsets the tight team we have built last season, you cant have large discrepancies in the wage at this level it simple breeds unrest in the team and presents the manager with more headaches. It is a simply case of risks outweighing benefits. I for one will trust John Still and Kev to make the right call, and the consortium to support them when the time is right.

We don't know exactly the circumstance around what failed to materialize with this deal so speculating on what 'other' clubs can or are doing, or what we should have done is of course fair, but given the last few years we Shrimpers have experienced I would have thought that we should be a little more patient, as we know more than most football fans exactly what goes wrong if you let money dictate your thinking.

Unproven player wants wages of a proven player, this means we walk away? That’s how I read this situation anyway.
Exactly how I read it too. Impossible for anyone to criticise without knowing the details of the negotiations. If we were offering an incentivised one year deal with an option of a further year, but his agent wouldn’t budge on a two year deal on the same money as the likes of GSM and Cardwell, it’s an absolute no brainer for us to wish him the best of luck and send him on his way.

Back