• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Shrimpers unlikely to complete deal for midfielder Pedder

Spot. On.

Far too much logic and reason.

Christ.

You do realise there is a £2m PER YEAR black hole in the club's finances that needs to be closed, don't you?

There will likely be more options open to us once the transfer window has closed.

If there was ever a thread to make me consider wanting a return to the pre-takeover state of play, it's this. I know football fans are, by their nature, fickle, but this thread is something else. I had really hoped that coming oh so close to losing this football entirely might have helped everybody find a bit of patience and tolerance.
Spot on James

I’m sure you realise that this spin on the story does make a huge difference though. We can only react to the information that gets reported, which the Echo story makes sound a lot different to the story that you’ve mentioned… The extra detail you’ve given changes the outlook, and I would agree that he’s not worth it if he’s playing us around!
But the Echo didn't really say much at all. It just reported the facts. People have interpreted it in whatever way they wanted to interpret it, jumping to conclusions borne out of impatience, little knowledge of the facts of the situation, and perhaps a touch of entitlement around who they feel we should be signing and for what money.

Missing out on Pedder wasn't about the budget, but even if it was......Ron Martin waved away concerns over budgets - in fact, he didn't set or keep to any. That was a major reason why we got into the mess we were in.

I find it astounding that people are criticising the club for not going down that route again. The club is hemorrhaging £2million per year, so it is already spending far beyond its means - not really a good idea to overspend even more, is it?

Were there no lessons learned over the last few years?

As was Kevin Maher
Exactly.

And whilst the talent was always there look at how long it took Maher to develop into the player he eventually became. He didn’t join us as the captain and midfield maestro we remember from the Tilly era. Instead he was talented but inconsistent and a target for the boo boys in his early part of his career.

We should expect a similar developmental arc for Pedder were he to join but with no guarantee of the same upside.

Gower will have had a similar trajectory but he joined Barnet first where he got games under his belt and developed before joining us as a more rounded player.

The aim is to be sustainable. If we havent got the money we walk away. We are not going down the Ron route by throwing money around just to have a chance on promotion. Then when it fails we are in serious debt and struggling. Lets just enjoy the season of having our club back and see if we can sneak into the playoffs

I get this statement to a certain degree.

What we need to be sustainable is good financial management. That isn't in doubt

But we also need decent gate receipts and lots of money spent on a matchday.

The two don't necessarily go hand in hand. We may well have a meagre budget and that likely leads to less success. Less success leads to smaller gates and less matchday funds, which leads to an even smaller budget.

We are arguably (oldham) the biggest side in the division and playing below our natural level.

To achieve promotion, you either have to have a grimsby season or be there with the readies ie stockport, Notts County, Wrexham and Chesterfield.

We might not like it but that is the reality

We have improved in the players we’ve brought in though

Gubbins > Lomas
Walker > Powell
Wind > Demetriou

IMO they are all improvements with possible high re sell value … granted we still need a few more but to say we are not improving is a very poor and lazy observation

We have no idea how gubbins will fit in yet. Personally I don't think he played that well Saturday but he probably prefers to be in the centre of defence.

Walker for Powell. I'll give you that one

Wind for demetriou. We haven't seen wind play yet. Demetriou was still steady when called upon.

You failed to mention fonguck who was a big miss on Saturday.

But the Echo didn't really say much at all. It just reported the facts. People have interpreted it in whatever way they wanted to interpret it, jumping to conclusions borne out of impatience, little knowledge of the facts of the situation, and perhaps a touch of entitlement around who they feel we should be signing and for what money.

Missing out on Pedder wasn't about the budget, but even if it was......Ron Martin waved away concerns over budgets - in fact, he didn't set or keep to any. That was a major reason why we got into the mess we were in.

I find it astounding that people are criticising the club for not going down that route again. The club is hemorrhaging £2million per year, so it is already spending far beyond its means - not really a good idea to overspend even more, is it?

Were there no lessons learned over the last few years?
Now that we’ve seen the situation in a different light from boy wonder I think maybe it was an over reaction, I thought it was the point of a forum though to vent when we need to and discuss. Hold my hands up may have overreacted, we have had years of rubbish off the pitch and Kev last year performed wonders but no real chance of going up. I think we all just want a good squad that can compete near the top. I think us fans deserve a successful season but get it may take time . We are all shrimpers though so let’s not get nasty 🦐

Your all for my judgment jumping in my DMs regularly though ain’t you PeteJames or whatever your name is.

We know when you are struggling to disagree with a post because you revert to the opinions thing, as another poster stated I never said he isn’t entitled to his opinion but I’m putting across a valid counter

Without wanting to get too drawn in to this, he has been in the youth teams of Spurs and QPR, which is a decent pedigree - more so than a player of a similar age that has been through Southend’s youth system. Whatever we say about his lack of senior games or whether his injury from last season will reappear or not, he was always going to command a wage higher than someone breaking through from our Under 18’s.

Regardless, sounds like this one is done and I just hope we have some more options lined up within budget. It’s going to be a tough ask to get the 3/4 more bodies through the door that Kev wants judging by snippets like this that we’re hearing.
You make the right points here
Easy to say when you have information that most others aren’t privy to.
or dose he really tho? Not got much right lately

Easy to say when you have information that most others aren’t privy to.

It’s not about that though is it?

This is a kid, in footballing terms, who has barely kicked a football in the men’s game, and the overreaction for many on here makes me feel like we’ve missed out on the next wonder kid who will guarantee promotion.

The same people also moaned when I suggested there would only be enough budget for one creative midfielder, and that was likely to be Pedder. People moaned about his lack of experience, too much pressure on his shoulders and so forth. You can’t win.

At the end of the day, we all want to concentrate on matters on the pitch. Debating selections, substitutions, tactics, style of play, whether we should press or sit off and so far, and for too long we haven’t really been able to talk about those things.

I’m more concerned at some of the other players we have missed out on for numerous over reasons (RM, embargo and so forth) than a kid who has barely kicked a ball. He may have been excellent, he may have been a flop, we will never know.

Interesting that on the face of it no other club in the EFL or NL was interested in Pedder, presumably on fitness/injury prone grounds. It would have been a gamble clearly but just how much of a gap was there between what was offered and the player's demands? Surely it could not have been that significant, just a matter of principle in the player or his agent trying to renegotiate what had previously been agreed if we are to believe certain claimed in the know posts on here.

You make the right points here

or dose he really tho? Not got much right lately

You’ve only been on here since the 7th August, a week, so how can you judge?

Oh that’s right, you’ve been PeteJames, transfer guru, Kwright and now onlyoneclub1906. I know we are all a bit sad using internet forums, but having set up four different accounts to have pops at me is bizarre. I don’t get PeteJames when your name isn’t Pete or James…

I called the Wind transfer and Hillson. Others can testify about the Spurs keeper who Barnet had, the league one goalkeeper and so forth too.

Have a good day. I won’t be engaging anymore. I look forward to your next account.

Interesting that on the face of it no other club in the EFL or NL was interested in Pedder, presumably on fitness/injury prone grounds. It would have been a gamble clearly but just how much of a gap was there between what was offered and the player's demands? Surely it could not have been that significant, just a matter of principle in the player or his agent trying to renegotiate what had previously been agreed if we are to believe certain claimed in the know posts on here.

But why should we renegotiate on a deal that had previously been agreed.

I don’t know figures. But as CP stayed in his Echo story, we was offered a similar deal to what promising youngsters get. He was fine with that until he got news of the States. I don’t knock him for wanting to try the States, I’d be tempted, but don’t use that to try and negotiate a better deal than what you previously agreed.

But why should we renegotiate on a deal that had previously been agreed.

I don’t know figures. But as CP stayed in his Echo story, we was offered a similar deal to what promising youngsters get. He was fine with that until he got news of the States. I don’t knock him for wanting to try the States, I’d be tempted, but don’t use that to try and negotiate a better deal than what you previously agreed.
Thanks BoyWonder. I always enjoy your thoughtful comments and insights.

I think Pedders may have been badly advised by his agent. At this stage in his career, he will be hard pushed to get better mentorship, more professional integrity, and better coaching from the likes of Maher, Currie and Bentley, and if he walked out of an agreed deal with a management team dedicated to making his career successful here he could be making a major error of judgement. What is good in the short-term does not always translate into long-term advancement.

Last edited:
You’ve only been on here since the 7th August, a week, so how can you judge?

Oh that’s right, you’ve been PeteJames, transfer guru, Kwright and now onlyoneclub1906. I know we are all a bit sad using internet forums, but having set up four different accounts to have pops at me is bizarre. I don’t get PeteJames when your name isn’t Pete or James…

I called the Wind transfer and Hillson. Others can testify about the Spurs keeper who Barnet had, the league one goalkeeper and so forth too.

Have a good day. I won’t be engaging anymore. I look forward to your next account.

Don't bother replying to the 5 minute wonders. looks like we have had a few Col U trolls joined us. 90% of us like and trust your posts and are smart enough to know its football and every club has had deals fall through at the last minute...

Plus you will still get your regular snipping club. Men who have such low esteem they feel totally inferior to those genuine ITK's....The ones that never contribute a penny to Shrimperzone.

Keep up the good work and posts so that the rest of us real fans can enjoy the forum........Its what makes the Zone all worth while.👍👍👍

Every week it was if only we weren’t under an embargo?
Now we are not, so a little ambition in this park League wouldn’t go amiss. Will be 10 points behind without the National Leagues help if we don’t watch out!
We have had one slightly disappointing game and performance against a decent team who did the double over us last season. Last I knew there were 46 games to a season, so why this ridiculous overreaction to not signing an untested player with an injury concern?
Let's wait until we catch up the 3 to 4 weeks Kevin says we are behind and see where we are ( I don't
altogether understand why we are those weeks behind btw). Previous promotion seasons have often started slowly!

Back