• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kensdale update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed Cardwell had a black eye in his interview the other day. Hope it's not a ruck at training.

How anyone can knock Maher is beyond me. Had to whack Crowther in when unfit because of this, stabilise the dressing room and deal with all those injuries with a limited squad. Add to that, Kensdale is one of our biggest assets and is going to go for peanuts, if anything apparently. One day, he'll get to manage in normal circumstances.
Happens occasionally; have never heard of a player leaving a club, not even Joey Barton stubbing a cigar in a player's eye. City charged him with gross misconduct and fined him a month's wages.

He’s sick ….. 🤒 sick of Southend !
In all seriousness let’s hope it’s something cracking that we can all have a giggle at … did wonder if it’s anything to do with Sir Harry’s shiner ? But had assumed he got that at home to York ….

But would assume training ground bust ups happen a lot and wouldn’t he a disciplinary

Texting or smashing your team mates missus also isn’t a disciplinary although ethically awful

So what are we left with gambling ? Probably why most goals are his responsibly of him he’s **** ups sloppy defending and always loosing his marker !!

I get that, but it sets a precedent about club statements, maybe they arent true. I had hoped we were moving away from that.
Fair enough, but the new owners promised transparency and honesty going forward, after all we have been through.
I think that's a hangover for some people from the previous regime, which I understand, but it's not always that simple.

They could and should have said a disciplinary matter is being investigated. Then if in a few days time he is innocent, say so. It’s not rocket science or fans being unreasonable. There’s truth, and there’s lies.
The fact that the new regime has said it wants to be open and transparent going forward, should tell you that there will be a good reason why they weren't open and transparent about this to begin with.

I'd also add that if anybody thought a verbal commitment to be as open and transparent as possible, actually meant that we're entitled to unfettered access to information like this, then they were always going to be disappointed.

There could be a multitude of reasons why it was covered up as illness:
  • protecting Kensdale
  • protecting his family
  • protecting and insulating his teammates
  • protecting his financial value to the club
  • ongoing internal investigation
At some point we have to remember that there are human beings involved, and that whatever has happened could very well intersect with personal lives and personal issues.

Even coming out and saying "it's a disciplinary matter" could affect all of my bullet points above, and it just leads to potentially unhelpful speculation and distraction for everybody, at a time when people are restless enough as it is over perceived poor performances on the pitch/lack of transfer business.

Again, easy to throw stones when we're not the people who actually have to consider the possible fallout from all of the above.

I think that's a hangover for some people from the previous regime, which I understand, but it's not always that simple.

The fact that the new regime has said it wants to be open and transparent going forward, should tell you that there will be a good reason why this was covered up from the start.

I'd also add that if anybody thought a verbal commitment to be as open and transparent as possible, actually meant that we're entitled to unfettered access to information like this, then they were always going to be disappointed.

• protecting Kensdale
  • protecting his family
At some point we have to remember that there are human beings involved, and that whatever has happened could very well intersect with personal lives and personal issues.

Even coming out and saying "it's a disciplinary matter" could affect all of my bullet points above, and it just leads to potentially unhelpful speculation and distraction for everybody, at a time when people are restless enough as it is over perceived poor performances on the pitch/lack of transfer business.

Again, easy to throw stones when we're not the people who actually have to consider the possible fallout from all of the above.
I get the protecting reasons however it makes the club look poor when they are then proven to have lied. What happened to the openness of things. Saying he is suspended by the club and no further comment will be made would have been sufficient especially when it would become clear that the illness reason would not stick for long and therefore does more damage than good for anyone.

Actually, no. I think @Tommy2holes is nearly right.
In 30 years of reporting football and this type of thing, not even telling the manager to go do one in gets you an exit.
Football clubs are very pragmatic about dealing with egos and tantrums.
But, yeah, if you refuse to play: can think of two such instances: the police: eg Mason Greenwood - and yeah, here's the door, buddy.
Drug tests? Not even those: check the 15 PL players who failed such tests between 2015-20: none were banned.
Talking to other clubs? Believe me, their agents do it all the time...

Plenty of people are cancelling themselves on social media these days...

therefore does more damage than good for anyone.
Does it though? I mean, really!?

Medway listed numerous reasons for a wee bit of secrecy. Yes it’s led to some egg on face but this’ll be yesterday’s chip paper in barely a couple of weeks. Easy to judge from here but, setting the ‘information entitlement’ aside (that we ALL have to some degree as football fans), it still feels to me that we’ve got a pretty open and honest structure at the club. Certainly some major steps forward to previous regimes.

Keep the faith and just take this one on the chin. Much as we can make it black or white, it’s obviously a pretty complex situation.

I wouldn’t have thought it’s a Police matter. If he was being investigated for assault or something, it’s unlikely we’d expect to be able to move him on with that uncertainty hanging over him. And if it was speeding/drink driving etc. then that’s nothing new in the world of football. Many footballers have done it and many get a slap on the wrist and not much else from their clubs.

Pure 100% speculation as I don’t know anything, but sounds to me like it’s more likely to be a case of him upsetting one or more members of the squad. Nicking something, pursuing someone’s Mrs etc. Especially if the rest of the lads have shunned him for it. Might not be crime of the century, but if it’s made his position in the squad untenable then there’s not much coming back from it, especially as Kev is really driving the team and character ethos.

The fact that the new regime has said it wants to be open and transparent going forward, should tell you that there will be a good reason why they weren't open and transparent about this to begin with.

• protecting Kensdale
  • protecting his family

Surely they could have just used the “he’s unavailable for selection” line, and when pressed further by anyone as to if he’s injured, suspended, subject to transfer etc etc” just say we aren’t going to expand further at this point.

It wouldn’t have been a lie, wouldn’t have compromised the club or him and covers a whole range of eventualities that would mean it would have been easy to explain away after the situation is/was “resolved”.

It’s pretty basic PR used time and time again for a variety of reasons. Yes if you are Prem club would dozens of journalists and contacts it wouldn’t last long but at lower league level perfectly adequate

I don’t think we, as fans, deserve or are due any kind of explanation whatsoever.

We aren’t just a football club…we are an employer and there’s certain things around confidentiality that we must adhere to.
Yes, but confidentiality doesn’t mean the club should, or have to, lie.

• protecting Kensdale
  • protecting his family

All well and good.
But the press release should have angled towards a 'personal matter' or similar.
Yeah, it would have raised more questions than answers, but would also have avoided this debate that questions the club's integrity, especially in the new dawn of transparency.

I wouldn’t have thought it’s a Police matter. If he was being investigated for assault or something, it’s unlikely we’d expect to be able to move him on with that uncertainty hanging over him. And if it was speeding/drink driving etc. then that’s nothing new in the world of football. Many footballers have done it and many get a slap on the wrist and not much else from their clubs.

Pure 100% speculation as I don’t know anything, but sounds to me like it’s more likely to be a case of him upsetting one or more members of the squad. Nicking something, pursuing someone’s Mrs etc. Especially if the rest of the lads have shunned him for it. Might not be crime of the century, but if it’s made his position in the squad untenable then there’s not much coming back from it, especially as Kev is really driving the team and character ethos.

Timlin was jailed and still got a new contract!
Nile Ranger was given chance after chance, the rest of the team hated him IIRC
Was it Foran who had a thing with Gower's Mrs?

Surely they could have just used the “he’s unavailable for selection” line, and when pressed further by anyone as to if he’s injured, suspended, subject to transfer etc etc” just say we aren’t going to expand further at this point.

It wouldn’t have been a lie, wouldn’t have compromised the club or him and covers a whole range of eventualities that would mean it would have been easy to explain away after the situation is/was “resolved”.

It’s pretty basic PR used time and time again for a variety of reasons. Yes if you are Prem club would dozens of journalists and contacts it wouldn’t last long but at lower league level perfectly adequate
Nope!
Chris Phillips has ear to the ground at all times, and can just about contact anyone and everyone at the club.
ALL clubs have something of a Chris. Believe me, I know how this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back