• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When will the takeover go through? Council / Citizen Housing agree new Heads of Terms 26 June

Reading between the lines, the positivity of the last 48 hours seems to be drying up. Here we go again :Facepalm:
The issue is everyone takes every positive utterance as meaning it’s going to complete in the coming hours. Then when their unrealistic expectations aren’t fulfilled it’s all doom and gloom.

This is a complicated process. If it was an easy job to decouple from the property part it would have been decoupled earlier.

I said Tuesday or Wednesday there was no way it was going to complete before today at the very earliest and even that seemed optimistic. Chances are it takes longer.

The good news is that the Consortium are committed. This week was a real test of whether they were in or not and thankfully they are in.

This week has been hugely positive and significant progress has been made. But people need to temper expectations and timelines and stop interpreting every positive sound as a sign that it’s all done. It’s good news each time we move a step forward but there’s a lot of steps that need to happen.

The issue is everyone takes every positive utterance as meaning it’s going to complete in the coming hours. Then when their unrealistic expectations aren’t fulfilled it’s all doom and gloom.

This is a complicated process. If it was an easy job to decouple from the property part it would have been decoupled earlier.

I said Tuesday or Wednesday there was no way it was going to complete before today at the very earliest and even that seemed optimistic. Chances are it takes longer.

The good news is that the Consortium are committed. This week was a real test of whether they were in or not and thankfully they are in.

This week has been hugely positive and significant progress has been made. But people need to temper expectations and timelines and stop interpreting every positive sound as a sign that it’s all done. It’s good news each time we move a step forward but there’s a lot of steps that need to happen.
This. Without question we are significantly better off than we were earlier this week, particularly when the National League came out with their bond demand when it seemed like it may all have been over bar the shouting. COSU are clearly still committed, but as long as they are still in "negotiations", it's only natural to fear that Rat and Jnr. will manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory once again.

Time is very much of the essence now that pre-season is underway and from a footballing perspective, we are obviously up against it again with other clubs having improved their squads. It's not too late, but the clock is ticking.

If the deadline is Monday for the Bond you hope we'll hear something this weekend

This. Without question we are significantly better off than we were earlier this week, particularly when the National League came out with their bond demand when it seemed like it may all have been over bar the shouting. COSU are clearly still committed, but as long as they are still in "negotiations", it's only natural to fear that Rat and Jnr. will manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory once again.

Time is very much of the essence now that pre-season is underway and from a footballing perspective, we are obviously up against it again with other clubs having improved their squads. It's not too late, but the clock is ticking.
It’s also worth remembering that the other clubs need to improve their squads more than us.

We got 75 points in the NL last season (ie without the deduction).

Only Chesterfield, Barnet, Bromley, Altrincham and Solihull got more than that. Of those we don’t have to worry about Chesterfield and Bromley as they are no longer in the division; Altrincham lost their (and the division’s?) best player in Conn-Clarke; Gateshead had a new management team permanently appointed and had 8 players under contract; Solihull will be a much changed side (Jay Benn, Nick Hayes played over half their games and will go back to their parent clubs; Josh Kelly and Callum Maycock went to Wimbledon; Joe Sbarra has gone to Doncaster).

In comparison we have a remarkably stable situation. We have the same coaching team, we haven’t lost a starter since Shaun Hobson went to Oldham last summer.

Our only departures this off-season has been Callum Powell and loanees Marcus Dackers, Deon Woodman and Henry Sandat. Dackers may even return once the embargo is lifted. Of the 506 league starts last season only I think 46 were by players no longer available to us (nb this might yet rise if Demi and Martin retire) and some of those only started because of the embargo. I doubt there is another club in the division that can boast that.

We’ll need to build out our depth but we’re starting from one of the best bases in the division with a stable coaching structure and squad.

It’s not the same situation as when Sturrock came in and had two(?) pros under contract and was under an embargo.

Other teams are making moves to try and catch up with us.

So Monday is the deadline for the Bond or... what? Sanctions I think @CllrDanielCowan said.

What sanctions? I very much suspect that it will be expulsion. Pay £1m or get a points deduction isn't really a contest, is it? That sort of serious outcome also explains the 24/7 negotiations (but I am very happy to be proved wrong on that!).

The fixtures come out 10 July and from the NL perspective, no season tickets have gone on sale yet so you can understand why they may wonder whether are properly preparing for the season.

Why couldn't the sale of the club have been decoupled earlier?

Was it not always the case that Ron wasn't going to let RH go until he had the planning on FF? As I've always said, he can't get permission on plans that haven't been submitted yet and the council can't bind a future council to a decision where no plans have been submitted.

So what's changed?

If the club is to be decoupled from the stadium, then COSU will need some sort of security of tenure otherwise Ron will be able to take the stadium back for re-development if the FF plans fail to come good in however many years time.

Ron is not going to give that sort of tenancy because then he will be at risk of losing everything. Regardless of whether we think he may deserve it, no-one in their right mind is going to give up hundreds of millions of pounds.

At the moment, it costs Ron nothing to co-operate. But I can't see why on earth he would agree to a scenario that could one day mean he lost the lot.

So, are we now in a position where, in order to keep the club alive, COSU are going to have to pay the £1m Bond as well? And if they want to make RH the hub of a sustainable club, they aren't going to spend all that money redeveloping a stadium that can be taken away from them at a few months notice.

Last edited:
It’s not the same situation as when Sturrock came in and had two(?) pros under contract and was under an embargo.
I think there were 5, but 2 were keepers. One of the others was Johnny Herd and if I remember correctly, Sturrock's first signing was another left back, Chris Barker (RIP).

So there were only 2 outfield players that featured in his plans.

Only time will tell if this deal will be done Now we all know Ron is greedy But surly even he can see that the deal on the table is good for both sides He needs to rember the harder he makes this The harder the council can make it for him When i hear the rants of ron He reminds me of Joe Biden both men seem to have a lack af intelegents And both are as daft as a brush

So Monday is the deadline for the Bond or... what? Sanctions I think @CllrDanielCowan said.

What sanctions? I very much suspect that it will be expulsion. Pay £1m or get a points deduction isn't really a contest, is it? That sort of serious outcome also explains the 24/7 negotiations (but I am very happy to be proved wrong on that!).

The fixtures come out 10 July and from the NL perspective, no season tickets have gone on sale yet so you can understand why they may wonder whether are properly preparing for the season.

Why couldn't the sale of the club have been decoupled earlier?

Was it not always the case that Ron wasn't going to let RH go until he had the planning on FF? As I've always said, he can't get permission on plans that haven't been submitted yet and the council can't bind a future council to a decision where no plans have been submitted.

So what's changed?

If the club is to be decoupled from the stadium, then COSU will need some sort of security of tenure otherwise Ron will be able to take the stadium back for re-development if the FF plans fail to come good in however many years time.

Ron is not going to give that sort of tenancy because then he will be at risk of losing everything. Regardless of whether we think he may deserve it, no-one in their right mind is going to give up hundreds of millions of pounds.

At the moment, it costs Ron nothing to co-operate. But I can't see why on earth he would agree to a scenario that could one day mean he lost the lot.

So, are we now in a position where, in order to keep the club alive, COSU are going to have to pay the £1m Bond as well? And if they want to make RH the hub of a sustainable club, they aren't going to spend all that money redeveloping a stadium that can be taken away from them at a few months notice.
I would imagine if we appealed any point deduction from not paying a bond we would win that case fairly easily. There is nothing in the rules from my understanding that teams need to do this, and with the court case dismissed, surely they cant just change the rules and give a club a week or two notice to post a £1m bond.

I would imagine if we appealed any point deduction from not paying a bond we would win that case fairly easily. There is nothing in the rules from my understanding that teams need to do this, and with the court case dismissed, surely they cant just change the rules and give a club a week or two notice to post a £1m bond.
It's clearly in the rules - appendix D

Back