• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
I would imagine we're still interested in Elliot Justham despite the fact that a fee would be needed to pinch him away from Daggers.
I can't see us paying that fee if Collin is number 1. It would be a big waste of funds that could be put to better use on a striker or CAM. Don't get me wrong, I really wanted Justham last season and had this been then, I'd be a huge advocate for that deal. However, after the season Collin had, it wouldn't make sense to go for him now.

I can't see us paying that fee if Collin is number 1. It would be a big waste of funds that could be put to better use on a striker or CAM. Don't get me wrong, I really wanted Justham last season and had this been then, I'd be a huge advocate for that deal. However, after the season Collin had, it wouldn't make sense to go for him now.
I agree, 100 per cent. I'm just struggling to see who else it might be.

This. Personally I wouldnā€™t want to sign a new keeper who expects to be number 1. Would really pain me to see Collin sitting on the bench, stifling his development. Heā€™s got the potential to go a really long way and heā€™s more than earned the right to be firmly considered our number 1.

Would prefer a new keeper to either be a younger keeper on the way up, or an older keeper on the way down. Itā€™s a shame we canā€™t have Super Steve Arnold back.

Work is underway on a goalkeeper, along with a striker and a midfielder. Iā€™d be shocked if we didnā€™t have a new face by the weekend, but canā€™t say which position. Heard a few new goalkeeper names, some very interesting names including one who played in this division last season who is incredibly highly rated.

Maybe we should try tapping Chelsea up for a keeper. They have 7/8 in their 1st team squad with another 1 incoming, not to mention 3/4 decent youngsters that maybe would be available to a club like us?

Why? I don't get the hate (Other than jealousy).
Nor do I. Professional football is a very short career and clubs like FGR only handsomely pay players like McCallum because they perceive such a player might be the difference between success and failure. The player would be silly to turn a bigger wage at 31 when he probably only has 2 or 3 more years in the professional game. However, as others have pointed, there is no guarantee that FRG's big money investment in McCallum will be successful.

Why? I don't get the hate (Other than jealousy).

Agreed thereā€™s nothing for anyone to hate here.

I think itā€™s natural to be somewhat jealous of the situation, considering most of us would see FGR as a smaller club than us - at least historically - yet theyā€™re able to pay out good money whereas we can only dream about itā€¦ which a lot of people have agreed is the right way for us to do business.

I think the bigger issue is a subconscious bias towards these kinds of transfers which donā€™t usually occur in the lower leagues. We are used to seeing prem clubs throwing money around, sure, but players earning Ā£5k per week in the fifth tier of English football? Our players werenā€™t earning that, back when we were a championship/Lg1 club.

Wrexham got the ball rolling, but other clubs have been spending more than usual trying to escape this division and I for one would hate to see it follow the same pattern as the god awful premier league, where the richer clubs continue to pull ahead whilst the rest are left behind. And my stance wouldnā€™t change if we suddenly rocketed up the leagues either.

For all the hate that weā€™ve given this league since being part of it, I personally think itā€™s brought back the feeling of real football. Honest proā€™s, true community fanbases, ramshackle stadiums with character and soul.

Keep the generic, moneybags football for the tourists, podcasters and armchair fans. This is real football. Keep the Prem mindset away from it.

For all the hate that weā€™ve given this league since being part of it, I personally think itā€™s brought back the feeling of real football. Honest proā€™s, true community fanbases, ramshackle stadiums with character and soul.

Keep the generic, moneybags football for the tourists, podcasters and armchair fans. This is real football. Keep the Prem mindset away from it.
Odd isnt it, but it really is a lot of that. How quickly we've adapted to this level too - in terms of acceptance. I remember turning up at Kings Lynn, expecting us to absolutely dominate and was humbled by the football and the stadium and since then I've realised we've got to fight and earn our way out of this league and if it takes 10 years, then its what and where we deserve to be.

But you're right, it does feel more "real" down here.

Work is underway on a goalkeeper, along with a striker and a midfielder. Iā€™d be shocked if we didnā€™t have a new face by the weekend, but canā€™t say which position. Heard a few new goalkeeper names, some very interesting names including one who played in this division last season who is incredibly highly rated.
Wouldnā€™t be surprised if one of the names is Joshua Keeley who was at Barnet on loan from Tottenham.

The fact remains that we will name 7 subs this season and we dont have the squad as of yet.

We are still short and at the moment a way off some of our rivals.

Wouldnā€™t be surprised if one of the names is Joshua Keeley who was at Barnet on loan from Tottenham.
Good shout. Wouldnā€™t mind a loan keeper as itā€™s less of a headache for us if they donā€™t play much. Just not sure Spurs would let us have him if they know Collin is our number 1 and their fella will likely get splinters most of the season.

Good shout. Wouldnā€™t mind a loan keeper as itā€™s less of a headache for us if they donā€™t play much. Just not sure Spurs would let us have him if they know Collin is our number 1 and their fella will likely get splinters most of the season.
Don't they know we've got new posh seats in the home dugout?

Back