• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook 👨‍🍳

Transfer news
Are you aware of any talks with players right now? Thinking will need at least 3 more players in maybe 4 including a keeper. anything close to happening? Only just over 2 weeks to the big season opener

We are constantly talking to players/agents/family members of potential recruits. John Still is always bringing players to Kev too, and agents are always ringing offering players. That happens at every country across the land.

Kev knows the profiles of the players he wants, knows the budget he is working too, and knows his A, B & C targets for each position he feels he needs to improve the squad.

We are constantly talking to players/agents/family members of potential recruits. John Still is always bringing players to Kev too, and agents are always ringing offering players. That happens at every country across the land.

Kev knows the profiles of the players he wants, knows the budget he is working too, and knows his A, B & C targets for each position he feels he needs to improve the squad.

Attachments

• download-3.png
    download-3.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 83

Sl if you were a betting man would you bet on a playing being signed by the weekend ?

Heard a really good shout for a player listening to the SUFC goals podcast yesterday. Charlie Sayers... just been released by Spurs apparently and still very young. Would almost be an heir to ralph of the left hand side of that defence whether that be as a left centre half or left wing back. Would also have good sell on value given he's still only 20.
A good shout for Charlie Sayers who is Southend born and bred. He looked a real prospect when playing for us so young. But he would have been on silly money at Spurs, and he's probably too good and too expensive salary wise to come back to Southend. After this article I found, I'm surprised they let him go.

Phillips may not be the only teenage talent whom Postecoglou could turn to, however, with academy starlet Charlie Sayers having also caught the eye of late amid his standout displays at youth level.

Who is Charlie Sayers?

The 19-year-old is still waiting to make his competitive first-team debut since signing from Southend United back in December 2021, although the versatile ace - who can also feature at left-back - does boast prior senior experience for his former employers, after making six National League appearances.

The verdict at the time was that Southend had a real talent on their hands, with Sayers having been the recipient of notable praise from then-boss Phil Brown, who told The Echo:

“I think Charlie Sayers has been outstanding and you have to say he has a career ahead of him, there’s no doubt about it. He’s got two games under his belt now but is he going to make mistakes as a 17-year-old boy? Absolutely. But on Tuesday he had a team on Tuesday that was protecting him.”

That glowing assessment was also followed by some kind words from head coach Kevin Maher following the confirmation of his move to Spurs: "He broke into the team this season and to play at 17 in a really tough league shows a lot of character. He’s got a mature head on him for his young age and hopefully he can take that forward."

Having signed his first professional contract for the club in March 2022, Sayers was also selected to start in the mid-season clash with Motherwell during the World Cup break last year, with club insider John Wenham stating it was a sign of the "rapid progress" that had been made by arguably the club's "best academy defender".

What does the future hold for Charlie Sayers?

The U21 defender - who has made 17 appearances at that age group in total - will be looking to kick on from the great strides that he made during Conte's time in charge, having even trained with the first team in preparation for the Champions League tussle with AC Milan earlier this year.

Although the talk is that youth colleague Alfie Dorrington has already caught Postecoglou's eye, it may not be too long before Sayers is also making his mark in the senior ranks, with podcaster Chris Miller suggesting that there is "definitely something there" for a player who "can play out confidently" from his left-sided centre-back berth.

With Dier currently out in the cold, any injuries to either Van de Ven or Romero are likely to mean that Dorrington, Phillips or Sayers may be called upon to plug the gap, with there an opportunity for someone to stake their claim in the near future.

While such a dearth of senior options at centre-back could be of concern, having a figure like Sayers, in particular, waiting in the background is truly exciting indeed for those at Hotspur Way.

Sl if you were a betting man would you bet on a playing being signed by the weekend ?

I’d love for a new signing to be doing the kit reveal, but I don’t know how likely it is. Obviously we saw the picture previously, but they could do something else with a new signing.

Confidence is growing in one player, who I won’t name. However, that means nothing. We’ve been “confident and close” with players before and they’ve not signed. We had Moussa, who signed for Daggers, have his “signing pictures” with the scarf taken and he still didn’t sign for us.

I’m never confident until it’s officially announced.

I’d love for a new signing to be doing the kit reveal, but I don’t know how likely it is. Obviously we saw the picture previously, but they could do something else with a new signing.

Confidence is growing in one player, who I won’t name. However, that means nothing. We’ve been “confident and close” with players before and they’ve not signed. We had Moussa, who signed for Daggers, have his “signing pictures” with the scarf taken and he still didn’t sign for us.

I’m never confident until it’s officially announced.
Those pictures we saw would have been to announce the sponsor and I imagine we would have still done photos with the players wearing them

As for that Mussa signing ... that was a mad time

This is how close it was

1721813310058.png

Those pictures we saw would have been to announce the sponsor and I imagine we would have still done photos with the players wearing them

As for that Mousa signing ... that was a mad time

This is how close it was

View attachment 33007

And there were some on here that didn’t believe what I said about that. Thank you for the proof.

From the Gillingham forum -

I didn’t spot Dack, but Kevin Maher was sitting a few seats away from me. He left just before our 3rd goal.

Wonder if he was watching Hawkins?
Not sure he'd fit the profile of what we're looking for, unless it's decided a bit more experience is needed in the dressing room with the loss of Dave Martin, and if Demi doesn't re-sign.

Back