• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
I sit next to someone that constantly bemoans the 5 at the back. Within a minute of the game starting I ask him where Gus or Bridge is and he eventually finds them further up the pitch with Gust normally almost alongside our forwards.

People see a formation of 5-3-2 on paper and immediately think in straight lines like the 4-4-2 formation.
Don't get me started on this.

If anyone else says we play with "5 at the back", or advocates 4-4-2, pass me the rope!

That's before you even get into dynamic formations, how fluid we are, and how our formation changes based on whether we're attacking, defending or in transition...

@ShrimperStats explains some of this brilliantly in his write-ups, and a lot of people on this forum would learn a lot from reading them.

Indeed itā€™s not even 5 at the back on paper as itā€™s 352 not 532ā€¦
I am not sure it is any of the given formations; the midfield is very much transitory and I include Gus and JB in their number.
Last season with Wes playing we were often over loaded on our left and often over powered by the opposition on our right (if the midfield didn't back up GUS).
I hope to see more leadership from the experienced pair of Moncur and Bonne to get the less knowledgable younger players working in the right places;- as Timlin and Lenny did.

I sit next to someone that constantly bemoans the 5 at the back. Within a minute of the game starting I ask him where Gus or Bridge is and he eventually finds them further up the pitch with Gust normally almost alongside our forwards.

People see a formation of 5-3-2 on paper and immediately think in straight lines like the 4-4-2 formation.
5 at the back implies itā€™s a defensive formation when itā€™s clearly not.

Peopleā€™s obsession with 4-4-2 is bizarre. Thereā€™s a reason not many teams use it anymore, it isnā€™t very effective.

5 at the back implies itā€™s a defensive formation when itā€™s clearly not.

Peopleā€™s obsession with 4-4-2 is bizarre. Thereā€™s a reason not many teams use it anymore, it isnā€™t very effective.

That's because 5 at the back was "parking the bus" with 5 defenders having a LB and RB not very long ago. Teams outside the top tier are still often deploying right and left backs as wing backs as players and coaches are still learning the new meta leading to it being either a very defensive formation or a very attacking but leaky one. It's going to be a while before the average football fan is as familiar with wingbacks as they are with right backs and once were with sweepers.

I think 4-4-2 can be effective if only against the right formation with the right players at the right time like all formations but yes you are right it's not very effective against a team with wing backs whilst everyone is trying to copy Guardiola even down at park football level.

Back