• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook 👨‍🍳

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our recruitment has generally been geared towards it, and signing players who are comfortable enough doing it, or showing the potential to become comfortable.

Unfortunately, we perhaps haven't been able to be quite as picky recently. Some of the players that we have signed could have done with more of the pre-season with us so that they could be drilled in our style.

Agree that that's the strategy and I'm happy with it. But collectively and individually the level of comfort/experience in that system for Crowther/Foran/Gubbins is far less than for Taylor/Kensdale/Ralph, and that must have knock on effects for Collin too.

It's of course not Maher's fault that we were short at the back on Saturday and that Kensdale shot his career in the foot, but it is down to Maher to consider how we adapt to it. I'm a big KM supporter but the criticism of him not being very flexible does feel like a fair one. And a couple of decisions on Saturday (Foran in the middle of the three, and Pepple not getting a good chunk of time) I really struggle to get my head around.

Kev has a favoured way of playing and one player who has been hugely missed is JD - who could slot straight in across a variety of positions and knew his role. If only he could've been persuaded to stay it would've lessened the chaos perhaps. A JD replacement would be good!

A midfielder who's a younger fitter version of Moncur and a centre back who can drive forward like Kensdale used to would see us improve .. one thing's for sure Kev won't abandon his style and will be looking for players who can fit into it. So a big bruiser in there who upends opponents is probably off the list.

Last edited:
Presumably transfer targets are identified on the basis that they are in harmony with our playing philosophy and style of play. It therefore follows that such a new signing should hit the ground running and not need a lengthy bedding in period, as some have suggested. Something is not adding up here.

Agree that that's the strategy and I'm happy with it. But collectively and individually the level of comfort/experience in that system for Crowther/Foran/Gubbins is far less than for Taylor/Kensdale/Ralph, and that must have knock on effects for Collin too.

It's of course not Maher's fault that we were short at the back on Saturday and that Kensdale shot his career in the foot, but it is down to Maher to consider how we adapt to it. I'm a big KM supporter but the criticism of him not being very flexible does feel like a fair one. And a couple of decisions on Saturday (Foran in the middle of the three, and Pepple not getting a good chunk of time) I really struggle to get my head around.

Is your issue picking Foran or having him middle of the three?

I must admit the XI I’d have picked before the match would have had him in the middle of the three - and to keep this on topic the defender I’d be looking to sign would be one to play in the middle rather than RCB.

I’d have had Pepple starting though.

Our recruitment has generally been geared towards it, and signing players who are comfortable enough doing it, or showing the potential to become comfortable.

Unfortunately, we perhaps haven't been able to be quite as picky recently. Some of the players that we have signed could have done with more of the pre-season with us so that they could be drilled in our style.
I get this. But we are where we are and perhaps need to adapt - or simplify the tactic to support a flux of new players to be able to adapt.

We have 3 at the back (not 5) and need to stick to it even if we are putting squares into round holes. But we can play with 1,2 or 3 up front. Then for the last 5 mins on Saturday we seemed to switch to 4 at the back and looked the best we did all match.

I’m not challenging the need to build towards a way of playing. But I do think we need to look at where we are, assess how long that will take to get right (players most likely to sign in January it seems) and then decide whether we need to do that simplification and perhaps pick up the more complex way when we are settled

What are you talking about? We had a squad last season of which most is still here. They just arent playing very well this season and recruitment has been poor which isnt helping us push on.
Really. Saturday no Kensdale or Cardwell. Ralph suspended. Taylor, Miley, Waldron and Coker injured. Walker just returning from injury. You expect all that not to make difference. Get real.

After listening to Justin Rees' interview, I really can't see any imminent signings. He kept emphasising about the players out injured. The market isn't good at the moment and therefore the players we could realistically get, won't improve our team.

It's a really hard moment to be in, but it's one that should hopefully get better when players are back and available. If come January, players like Adarkwa are fit and available, I'm sure we'll go in for them. As it is, I don't envisage too much movement.

Guys we need to keep in mind that as a Club we have a 'policy' to transfers that has key components of Age consideration, character, development potential, playing style and sell on potential!
Kev obviously knows he has the 'long term' support of COSU, is comfortable that he is being allowed to build the squad in his way and in his time knowing that COSU has 'realistic' expectations, that does not have promotion this season on the tick box list. Obviously not a viewpoint shared by some of our fanbase, because it's all about results in the here and now and entertainment value for the cost of their ticket, arguably all a fan is interested in.
Kev is not under pressure from his masters, Kev wants to sign a certain type of player to play a certain way, if there not there, either due to non availability or outside of budget, then he currently has the job security luxury of waiting until they are. There will be no long-term signing just to boost numbers or to appease fans. Any disgruntlement with his approach is outside of Roots Hall, it's not coming from within.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back