• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
Kensdale - gone, Cardwell - gone, Miley -long term injured. Straightaway the spine that made last season's team tick is not there. Throw in Harry Taylor, Oli Coker and Danny Waldren out injured and the 'completeness' of last season is now very much missing. That's a fact. Obviously, this season's recruitment, or lack of it, also plays a part. It's going to take time to get our squad back to full, firing on all cylinders, condition whether we like it or not.
Taylor has missed one game. Waldron and Coker were hardly mainstays in the team last season.

We have had time to replace these players and the planning hasnt been great to be able to replace these players. Miley has been out for 7 games now and Cardwell has been gone for a similar time but we was playing **** before they went so although I get your point our form hasnt dipped since they went.

Taylor has missed one game. Waldron and Coker were hardly mainstays in the team last season.

We have had time to replace these players and the planning hasnt been great to be able to replace these players. Miley has been out for 7 games now and Cardwell has been gone for a similar time but we was playing **** before they went so although I get your point our form hasnt dipped since they went.
I reckon we could play 'yes but' for the rest of the morning Dan and we probably won't reach agreement, so we'll just have to see how things unravel. Have a good day mate.

Most of last seasons squad is/was unavailable. On sat only 4 of the starting 11 were regulars last season.

Most of the bench is new as well.

Someone earlier posted they wanted change - arguably change has contributed to our performances. I think what we need most of all is time, time for players to gel and time for the injured/suspended to come back.
Looking at the Gateshead side that beat us at home last season, compared to the one that beat us on Saturday, I can only see 2 players that played in both - so how come they managed to cope ok?

I also think a number of teams in this division have had a high turnover of players, yet doesn't seem to be affecting them, so can we please stop using this as an excuse.

On paper, the team at the moment should not be struggling and playing as bad as they are - we've had 2 good performances so far this season; that is a terrible stat whichever way you look at it.

Looking at the Gateshead side that beat us at home last season, compared to the one that beat us on Saturday, I can only see 2 players that played in both - so how come they managed to cope ok?

I also think a number of teams in this division have had a high turnover of players, yet doesn't seem to be affecting them, so can we please stop using this as an excuse.

On paper, the team at the moment should not be struggling and playing as bad as they are - we've had 2 good performances so far this season; that is a terrible stat whichever way you look at it.
There are indeed no excuses for the poor start to the season and it's about time the self pitying rhetoric was abandoned along with all the excuses. There comes a time in every football manager's tenure when it had to be recognised that he has taken the team as far as he can and maybe this is the case here. The next few games are critical.

There are indeed no excuses for the poor start to the season and it's about time the self pitying rhetoric was abandoned along with all the excuses.

There are excuses (or reasons, as I prefer to call them) for the poor start but I also believe you're right in that we MUST look forward now because this season is rapidly getting away from us. One thing we all know as Southend fans is that things can and often do get worse.

There are indeed no excuses for the poor start to the season and it's about time the self pitying rhetoric was abandoned along with all the excuses. There comes a time in every football manager's tenure when it had to be recognised that he has taken the team as far as he can and maybe this is the case here. The next few games are critical.
From whom? You may be confusing excuses with reasons. Football isnā€™t an exact science and there are so many factors affecting performances. Todayā€™s society throw their toys out of their prams the minute things donā€™t go their way. The throwaway society has created this constant flux.

Careful what you wish for.

For the record I thought our line up, tactics and performance were dreadful Saturday šŸ˜œ

We're way off topic here but...

Football exemplifies and magnifies the short-termism afflicting society. Calls for Maher's head or reviewing its decapitation later on are symptomatic of this malaise. I hate talking about the Premiersh*te, but it shows that long-term success comes from long-term planning. Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, Jurgen Klopp, Pep Guardiola... Look at our own case - Dave Smith, Tilly. Like Luggy before him, Kev has achieved much already. I truly hope he is given time to see the project through, unlike poor Luggy who was treated with utter disrespect. I'm not holding my breath...

From whom? You may be confusing excuses with reasons. Football isnā€™t an exact science and there are so many factors affecting performances. Todayā€™s society throw their toys out of their prams the minute things donā€™t go their way. The throwaway society has created this constant flux.

Careful what you wish for.

For the record I thought our line up, tactics and performance were dreadful Saturday šŸ˜œ
Snap (sentiment-wise)

There are excuses (or reasons, as I prefer to call them) for the poor start but I also believe you're right in that we MUST look forward now because this season is rapidly getting away from us. One thing we all know as Southend fans is that things can and often do get worse.
We weren't exactly setting the league alight before the departure of Cardwell and Kensdale hence my use of the word 'excuses'. It seems clear that there is a general malaise hanging over the club at the moment. Maybe expectations were too high and reality is biting.

And now we've all given it large on our reasons for being rubbish, we now all need to get back on topic, including me. Ignoring this could involve something horrible that I haven't though of yet.

We have one of the lowest turnovers of players in the division I believe.. didnā€™t someone post the table?

Despite being a Maher fan, all the way back to his playing days, and wishing him every success as a manager, I am becoming increasingly exasperated. He needs to show he is not a one trick pony and adopt a more appropriate style for the players we have and the league we are in. Personally I hope he does. He worked miracles, with all the issues, to bring us hope but, the aspiration has not materialised into reality. I still want it to be Maher that brings the success but, my support for him will not be governed by sentiment.

On topic I think the transfer business we have done has not been so great and as a team we are too easy to be bullied and we desperately need a couple of players who can do the ugly stuff. We are not in the premiershite and need to recruit for the league we are in.

I haven't looked at the Heed side to compare - maybe when recruitment was done as well - 4 of our starting 11, over a third of the team, have come in after the start of the season.

I'd say we've had 2 excellent performances, 2 poor performances and the rest just meh.

It probably comes down to expectations - if you expected us to be chasing automatic promotion from the 1st day of the season - you'll currently be disappointed. As you will be if you expected to be in playoffs from the start.

Personally I'm hoping (maybe expecting?) to be in playoffs at the end of the season. I'm not overly concerned at our current league position. It's a funny old game and things can suddenly click.

I agree the squad, on paper, is probably abit better than currently showing - but as Clough(?) once said the game isn't played on paper.

Despite being a Maher fan, all the way back to his playing days, and wishing him every success as a manager, I am becoming increasingly exasperated. He needs to show he is not a one trick pony and adopt a more appropriate style for the players we have and the league we are in. Personally I hope he does. He worked miracles, with all the issues, to bring us hope but, the aspiration has not materialised into reality. I still want it to be Maher that brings the success but, my support for him will not be governed by sentiment.

On topic I think the transfer business we have done has not been so great and as a team we are too easy to be bullied and we desperately need a couple of players who can do the ugly stuff. We are not in the premiershite and need to recruit for the league we are in.
By more appropriate for the league we are in, do you mean a play it out from the back style like Gateshead or York?

Did he? Come on, give us the details and how you know.

Ok so it wasnā€™t to do with wages as that was all agreed, he turned down Oldham and york as wanted to move back down here. Heā€™s had an offer from hornchurch who offered more than us. He likes our set up and where the club is going. Kev isnā€™t sure as heā€™s not match fit but thatā€™s the same for Bonne, moncur and the others we have signed. But he bring in a defender from Bromley who knows no one and had no training and it showed on Saturday.!

We have one of the lowest turnovers of players in the division I believe.. didnā€™t someone post the table?
Maybe of squad, as we had such a small squad last season we didn't lose many non loan players. But the starting 11 on sat was very different.

We're way off topic here but...

Football exemplifies and magnifies the short-termism afflicting society. Calls for Maher's head or reviewing its decapitation later on are symptomatic of this malaise. I hate talking about the Premiersh*te, but it shows that long-term success comes from long-term planning. Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, Jurgen Klopp, Pep Guardiola... Look at our own case - Dave Smith, Tilly. Like Luggy before him, Kev has achieved much already. I truly hope he is given time to see the project through, unlike poor Luggy who was treated with utter disrespect. I'm not holding my breath...

I hear what you are saying but that does not always apply.

What has Kev achieved? He did a good job last year but we had a good first 11, arguably better than this seasons first 11.

My issue with Kev is his inability to change things up in light of the staff available.

The same systems and the same style of play. Insanity is to keep doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.

We are and have been blunt in attack for several seasons. We don't score enough goals to be a top 3 side.

Our style of play is slow, obvious and with safety in mind. We got away with it last year as we had the best defence in the league. This season we are poor at the back and up top. It's a recipe for defeat after defeat.

The reality is that we have the best supported club in the league with a 7000+ average and a team that looks set to finish bottom 7 or 8 on present form.

By more appropriate for the league we are in, do you mean a play it out from the back style like Gateshead or York?
The York game might be excused as it was our opener and we didn't look fit and did not adopt our usual, of last season, high press and we allowed them to play it out from the back. Gateshead, likewise, our press was poor and not helped with one up top. I have never said we should not play out from the back but, we have certainly done it too much and stupidly. Playing out from the back draws the opposition forward and then the ball can be passed to the spaces created. We play out from the back when their attackers are already forward and it puts us instantly under pressure in the worst area.

We need to learn when to use it and which of our players are adept at it.

Back