• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
I'm guessing maybe a goalkeeper (seeing as Hilson is only on non-contract terms) and a defender to replace Kensdale.

We have 2 strikers currently available (although Bonne needs match fitness) and with Walker and Waldron (one oh whom is close to being fit again) do we really need another striker unless they are going to move ahead of Walker / Waldron or Bonne once fully fit.
Hillson's an odd one - is he on non-contract terms because he thinks he can do better than us or because we think we can do better than him? He's had a good while to impress in training now and for our new GK coach to have a good look at him.

Slightly changing the subject here ... But did anyone else think McCallum's body language seems to suggest that he was alot closer to joining us than we'd like to think?

He seemed to be very familiar with a few of our lads and to me it almost looked like he had maybe trained with us at some point or met the lads

Maybe I'm putting 2+2 and getting 5 and he's just a friendly bloke, but I was intrigued to see if any ITK could shed some light, if any
As a former Dagenham, Barnet and Orient player heā€™ll have invariably been teammates with a fair few of our team and have lots of friends in common.

He recently signed a contract extension, so I very much doubt it.

I think his body language was more a reflection of how frustrated he was with his lack of service. That was solely down to how we pressed. I don't think pressing is a huge part of his game, so if Eastleigh aren't on top, he can probably look rather abject in games. However, because he is so deadly, it can take just one moment. Luckily, that didn't happen last night and that is all down to how we kept him and them quiet.

He would obviously be a great signing but I do wonder how he would fit into a Maher team. Due to that lack of press, would it work as well as we think it would?

On the subject of pressing, Moncur has been so impressive. He is 31, earned his money and has played a lot higher. He could feel like he doesn't need to press, that he's too good for it, but he does it! Fans a flippant about Those words are banned of player profiles but it's that kind of performance that makes you realise why it's done. We've brought in big time Charlie's previously that haven't bought into the ethos. On the whole, most of the Maher signings have.
People had mentioned before about McCallum's lack of work rate, so I'm surprised it was someone we were looking at. Unless they felt they could improve that side of his game

I'm guessing maybe a goalkeeper (seeing as Hilson is only on non-contract terms) and a defender to replace Kensdale.

We have 2 strikers currently available (although Bonne needs match fitness) and with Walker and Waldron (one oh whom is close to being fit again) do we really need another striker unless they are going to move ahead of Walker / Waldron or Bonne once fully fit.
I also think that the 4 strikers we now have are sufficient for our needs! Keeping 5 happy will make its own problems and strikers want to score goals and not getting much pitch time is particularly frustrating for them! In my opinion a problem the management team could do without!

I also think that the 4 strikers we now have are sufficient for our needs! Keeping 5 happy will make its own problems and strikers want to score goals and not getting much pitch time is particularly frustrating for them! In my opinion a problem the management team could do without!
I disagree. At the moment, we only have two strikers. Pepple is unproven and not used to playing this many games in mens football. He could easily break down. Bonne hasn't played for a long while and will need a lot of time and his own preseason to get up to full speed. Walker can't be rushed and you have to be so careful with hamstring injuries, and Waldron is way off. So one injury and we are back to square 1 on the striker front. With the amount of games coming up, we need a reinforcement there.

People had mentioned before about McCallum's lack of work rate, so I'm surprised it was someone we were looking at. Unless they felt they could improve that side of his game

People mocked me when I said about his pressing from the front over the summer.

For the record, McCullum has never trained with us. He knows GSM well from the England C team.

My best guess in this is that Waldron is out for a few weeks/months and on his return he may be sent on loan to regain fitness/confidence as a first choice somewhere. No inside knowledge but that would be probable and allow for us to have a core of 4 for the rest of the season.

People mocked me when I said about his pressing from the front over the summer.

For the record, McCullum has never trained with us. He knows GSM well from the England C team.
Yeah I saw them have a chat and embrace at the end of the game in front of the West and thought they seemed like they knew each other.

I disagree. At the moment, we only have two strikers. Pepple is unproven and not used to playing this many games in mens football. He could easily break down. Bonne hasn't played for a long while and will need a lot of time and his own preseason to get up to full speed. Walker can't be rushed and you have to be so careful with hamstring injuries, and Waldron is way off. So one injury and we are back to square 1 on the striker front. With the amount of games coming up, we need a reinforcement there.
Loan until Waldron comes back seems most likely to me?

I think we are going to see another forward arrive but Pepple is no more likely to break down than anyone else we signed. Bonne doesn't look like he needs loads of time either. People said that about Moncur but he managed 90mins and an MOM at Oldham.

Anyway we proved last night, one so called forward doesn't mean you can't create good chances and win. JB would have never popped up in the position for the first goal if he was wide left with two up front. Same with him getting fouled at Oldham for the free kick which we scored from.

Hillson's an odd one - is he on non-contract terms because he thinks he can do better than us or because we think we can do better than him? He's had a good while to impress in training now and for our new GK coach to have a good look at him.
We have a new GK coach? Didnt see anything announced about that

Definitely need another striker. Pepple would have to do something special to improve on his very poor scoring record, Walker has a history of injuries so this could be one of those seasons for him and Waldron will be a few weeks off yet. Add to that Bonne had no pre season and will need a few weeks to get properly match fit. Unless we are able to tempt a Non League gem to the club though we would be looking at freebies.

If we have 2-3 coming in, I think we can safely assume weā€™ll see some going out on loan.

People asking why weā€™d be after another striker? Itā€™s likely Waldron would go out on loan, no? Wood? I think heā€™s done OK in the few brief cameoā€™s heā€™s had, but would probably benefit from regular first team football.

We could probably do with some more cover at CB or RWB.

Back