• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook 👨‍🍳

Transfer news
I’m guessing Braintree will wait until after todays games to decide if they let Effiong go, they’ve got Grimwood off their books now as he got recalled.

Surely they’ll wait to see how he performs later then decide?

Never been impressed with Tshimanga each time I have seen him - sorry, doesn't stir my emotions but if he were to pull on a Southend shirt I would be right behind him in terms of support.

Hoping the club are looking at some experienced midfield players from the leagues above - someone with some nous could make a big difference in turning draws to wins & thus adding some useful additional points to the tally.
He's never been the same player since he had that terrible injury

what to say ,im happy with the Bonne signing and think if bonne can really put his head down get fit then the look of our team with a fit and firing Walker along with Moncur is really a formidable forwrd line, add Waldron and if possible Effiong theres not much better than that in this dicision. Truly hoping for exciting times to come for all you loyal supporters are the years of heartache and despair you deserve it

Slightly changing the subject here ... But did anyone else think McCallum's body language seems to suggest that he was alot closer to joining us than we'd like to think?

He seemed to be very familiar with a few of our lads and to me it almost looked like he had maybe trained with us at some point or met the lads

Maybe I'm putting 2+2 and getting 5 and he's just a friendly bloke, but I was intrigued to see if any ITK could shed some light, if any

Slightly changing the subject here ... But did anyone else think McCallum's body language seems to suggest that he was alot closer to joining us than we'd like to think?

He seemed to be very familiar with a few of our lads and to me it almost looked like he had maybe trained with us at some point or met the lads

Maybe I'm putting 2+2 and getting 5 and he's just a friendly bloke, but I was intrigued to see if any ITK could shed some light, if any
I was told we were after McCallum more last season (& season before) than this summer. The ship had well and truly sailed as such.

It had become clear that we were not getting anywhere near his current wage demands and attentions quickly turned elsewhere. Eastleigh will be paying him an obscene amount to keep him there.

Not aware that he has trained with us. Not recently anyway.

Collin wont be welcoming him if he does.

Has McCallum ever had a good game against us ? Starting when he come on as sub for Pompey and was sent off whiting about 2 minutes.

He recently signed a contract extension, so I very much doubt it.

I think his body language was more a reflection of how frustrated he was with his lack of service. That was solely down to how we pressed. I don't think pressing is a huge part of his game, so if Eastleigh aren't on top, he can probably look rather abject in games. However, because he is so deadly, it can take just one moment. Luckily, that didn't happen last night and that is all down to how we kept him and them quiet.

He would obviously be a great signing but I do wonder how he would fit into a Maher team. Due to that lack of press, would it work as well as we think it would?

On the subject of pressing, Moncur has been so impressive. He is 31, earned his money and has played a lot higher. He could feel like he doesn't need to press, that he's too good for it, but he does it! Some fans have been flippant about Those words are banned of a player's profile, but it's that kind of performance that makes you realise why it's done. We've brought in big time Charlie's previously that haven't bought into the ethos. On the whole, most of the Maher signings have.

Last edited:
I would expect at least two more.
I'm hearing striker incoming. Like, tomorrow.
If it happens, i might take my source a bit more seriously from now on
I was told 2 or 3. It did sound like they were close to being wrapped-up, but I always like to manage expectations a bit, because whenever I hear something, the situation has often changed by the next morning!

He recently signed a contract extension, so I very much doubt it.

I think his body language was more a reflection of how frustrated he was with his lack of service. That was solely down to how we pressed. I don't think pressing is a huge part of his game, so if Eastleigh aren't on top, he can probably look rather abject in games. However, because he is so deadly, it can take just one moment. Luckily, that didn't happen last night and that is all down to how we kept him and them quiet.

He would obviously be a great signing but I do wonder how he would fit into a Maher team. Due to that lack of press, would it work as well as we think it would?

On the subject of pressing, Moncur has been so impressive. He is 31, earned his money and has played a lot higher. He could feel like he doesn't need to press, that he's too good for it, but he does it! Fans a flippant about Those words are banned of player profiles but it's that kind of performance that makes you realise why it's done. We've brought in big time Charlie's previously that haven't bought into the ethos. On the whole, most of the Maher signings have.
This is key, and exactly why I have been banging the drum about patience, and about giving the club time and space to make the "right" signings. I'm confident it will bear fruit, and that in the medium term we'll all be glad that they didn't allow themselves to be pressured into signing any old body just for "numbers".

"Those words are banned" (shudder) and getting the right fits when recruiting literally kept us up last season. Without the collection of characters and personalities that had been recruited, there would have been no siege mentality, and we'd have been staring down the barrel of another relegation, imo. It would have been an extension of the Phil Brown/Chris Powell/Kevin Bond/Mark Molesley era, where recruitment was poor in terms of ability and/or character/personality, and when there was absolutely no identity or plan to underpin that recruitment. Left us with a collection of individuals who had no connection or affinity to either the club and fans, or each other, and that's the last thing you want when the chips are down.

Last edited:

He was so close to Crowther that he ended up in his back pocket.

I was told 2 or 3. It did sound like they were close to being wrapped-up, but I always like to manage expectations a bit, because whenever I hear something, the situation has often changed by the next morning!
I'm guessing maybe a goalkeeper (seeing as Hilson is only on non-contract terms) and a defender to replace Kensdale.

We have 2 strikers currently available (although Bonne needs match fitness) and with Walker and Waldron (one oh whom is close to being fit again) do we really need another striker unless they are going to move ahead of Walker / Waldron or Bonne once fully fit.

Back