• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook 👨‍🍳

Transfer news
When we signed Cardwell few saw a player that would be soon valued at 120k . He came to us because at that time no one else was willing to take a punt on his potential. In his time with Southend he stayed relatively injury free and played regularly thus developing into a much more valuable player than the one we recruited.

The idea that we now might be able to sign a like for like replacement for HC is surely fanciful. Any striker who might be universally expected to score 15 to 20 a season in the NL, with or without HC's workrate, would demand a fee and wages beyond anything we are likely to be able to afford.

It is very possible that if and when we sign a replacement he will be a mirror image of HC when he first arrived; ie long on potential but short on actual career achievements. Signing such a player requires taking a punt, and, as someone who does not mind making a bet, that can be very rewarding but does not always come off. Even if we have already been able to identify such a player bringing him in may take longer than all of us might like.

We beat off several clubs for Cardwell’s signature (including IIRC at least one team that has since been promoted from this division), and we paid what I believe to be a decent fee for him considering our financial woes.

Maher and Still definitely saw a player that would soon be valued at £120k.

Maher immediately had him lead his attack and throughout his time here when he was fit he started. Maher and Still obviously identified his attributes - his pace, his work-rate, his ability to hold the ball up or chase it down the channels and they were integral to how we played.

I hope we sign someone on what they can do for us rather than the Phil Brown what they did for someone else. Find someone with the attributes and attitude and the goals will come later.

I would say this approach will potentially see crowds drop as well - we've started to get 7K to 8K through the door, but how many of those will stick around if we are only hovvering around mid-table, which means a drop in income and less money available!

I’ll be there win or lose but our biggest attendances in my life time was a season when we were relegated. I think our attendances held up that year because we were playing good football and had a cup run.

We play good football (the best since that Tilly side in the Championship) and so long as we’re competitive (ie not getting blown out each game) I don’t see why people wouldn’t want to watch the likes of Bridge and Moncur even if we’re losing as many as we win but I’ve never been in it purely for the glory.

I have to be honest. I fell quite underwhelmed.

I'm off to Manchester for the weekend for the fact that Southend are playing there. Its not a cheap weekend.

Not ideal going into a game on the back of selling your best striker, missing a match due to cost cutting, two other strikers missing, defender who played every week kicked out of the club and just an untested striker up top.

I will always expect this club to be competitive, more so at this level.

As for a striker coming in. There are plenty of players of promise in out league or below etc who would love to play infront of 8k. They don't cost the earth.
If we needed a striker that desperately we would find one (like we did with Pepple within 24hours of cards leaving.) but clearly they want a certain calibre, character etc but also someone that represents a good deal. I have absolutely faith that if they wanted a striker for tomorrow they could get one.. but the quality of said striker would be below par.

Surely there is a loan player out there who meets the criteria KM wants and would work well. Each year other teams in our league seem to have good loan players that actually cut it at our level easily.

It is clear that the morale boosting effect of the takeover on many supporters has been dissipated by the departure of Cardwell, the Kensdale affair whatever that was about and the injuries to key strikers, not to mention Demetriou leaving as well and the somewhat underwhelming nature of the two recent signings. Add to that the state of the stadium and the lack of discernable improvements to the facilities and the silence of COSU who always had plenty to say before the takeover and you get the feeling from afar that trouble is brewing. Maher's reported comments also seem to indicate that inside the club a similarly jaded atmosphere exists. Of course, it is early in the season and a couple of good results changes the mood completely. Let us hope it starts from tomorrow.
How is KAF and underwhelming signing?!

Calculated gamble?

We’ve lost out on several striking targets & the pool of what’s left will be either expensive, inexperienced or on their final-payday trajectory. Why waste what (little?) money we have left, when better avenues could open up in a few months time?
Which maybe means a loan, and perhaps forget about trying to buy a competent permanent replacement for Cards in a market that is for us overpriced. Or place getting the right player in over our perception of “value” in this one situation. Perhaps bring just the one in not three to four to help fund it. Priorities.

I don’t get the negativity tbh. To me we have one, one, gaping hole that needs addressing. It patently can be ignored- if Peddle does his hamstring in the warm up we are royally stuffed.

However, once we have someone in all to me looks very good - a bit light in cover defensively but so be it. I’m sure it will be addressed very soon,

If we needed a striker that desperately we would find one (like we did with Pepple within 24hours of cards leaving.) but clearly they want a certain calibre, character etc but also someone that represents a good deal. I have absolutely faith that if they wanted a striker for tomorrow they could get one.. but the quality of said striker would be below par.
The last bit may need compromise regrettably. Or another way if the the first and last bits are mutually exclude which is more important. That said we might get lucky- and we deserve some of that!

The last bit may need compromise regrettably. Or another way if the the first and last bits are mutually exclude which is more important. That said we might get lucky- and we deserve some of that!
Unfortunately I don't see Kev or Cosu compromising on those stipulations

It is clear that the morale boosting effect of the takeover on many supporters has been dissipated by the departure of Cardwell, the Kensdale affair whatever that was about and the injuries to key strikers, not to mention Demetriou leaving as well and the somewhat underwhelming nature of the two recent signings. Add to that the state of the stadium and the lack of discernable improvements to the facilities and the silence of COSU who always had plenty to say before the takeover and you get the feeling from afar that trouble is brewing. Maher's reported comments also seem to indicate that inside the club a similarly jaded atmosphere exists. Of course, it is early in the season and a couple of good results changes the mood completely. Let us hope it starts from tomorrow.
I’m very happy with KAF, exactly what we needed in middle to be something different. So wouldn’t say that was disappointing, merely because of the Cards situation then yes but KAF will be a great signing. Bim could set the place on fire, like Dennis did, we just don’t onow or he could be pony, no way of knowing.

I can understand both points of view on here. The disappointments of a poor start to the season, and the loss of key players, tempered by the fact that we aren't in court, everyone is being paid, we have a club etc.

I think everyone is a little concerned and rightly so, that our transfer dealings have been somewhat sparse, and currently we have 1 fit untried forward.

If Walker and Waldron were fit, I don't think the last 10 pages of this thread would be here, but to go into the next run of games with the squad currently as threadbare as it is, is not acceptable.

We could be near the bottom 4 with a poor run of results in the next 3/4 weeks and possibly 10-12 points off the pay-offs and playing catch-up all season again. That is the concern of most fans I think.

I can't see anything other than a 3 or 4 points in the next 5 games, but this is football, and we will probably go and bang 4 past Oldham and Eastleigh now.

Coupled with the fact that the narrative was, we are struggling to sign players as the EFL window is closing soon, and now its the EFL window is closed, so its difficult to sign anyone!

A loan striker signing is absolutely imperative today, and I am sure the club are trying, but its frustrating that's all.

That training ground video yesterday showed Wind a lot crossing from the right wing and Pepple in the box, wonder if Gus will end up playing up front

That training ground video yesterday showed Wind a lot crossing from the right wing and Pepple in the box, wonder if Gus will end up playing up front
Personally, I hope not. As said earlier on here, Gus gets into such attacking positions late, because the more attacking players have the attention of the defence. Play him up front and he will be picked up by defenders quicker and lose the element of surprise.

Also, for me, over the years we have played too many players outside of their natural and favoured positions. Gus up front would be a sign of desperation for me.

I would rather play one up front, as that's all we've got at the time of this post, but have round pegs in round holes as far as the selection process goes, but that's just me.

Surely there is a loan player out there who meets the criteria KM wants and would work well. Each year other teams in our league seem to have good loan players that actually cut it at our level easily.
How many of them were centre forwards though?

None of the top 10 scorers last season were loanees and the only loanee hattrick scorer was Kanu.

I heard Daggers had had a bid of £70k turned down for Walker by Burton, around a month before we signed him, so possibly in that region? Not unless Walker really hates Daggers lol.

Back