• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
Iā€™d like to understand how the transfer policy will work with COSU.

Kev identifies a player heā€™s interested inā€¦ Justin also wants the player, but being a savvy guy, he doesnā€™t want to cover the full cost on his own. So, he asks the other members to chip in. Four members agree, saying they can afford it, but the others respond that they canā€™t contribute at the moment. How would that situation be handled?
That sounds an awful lot like how Ron would handle it.

A properly run business will have clear pre-agreed funding plans with contributions agreed in advance and not just made up as they go along.

Do people really want to go back to the Ron ways of doing things - marquee signings to attempt to sell ticket, funding made up as we go along etc rather than be a sustainable football club?

Iā€™d like to understand how the transfer policy will work with COSU.

Kev identifies a player heā€™s interested inā€¦ Justin also wants the player, but being a savvy guy, he doesnā€™t want to cover the full cost on his own. So, he asks the other members to chip in. Four members agree, saying they can afford it, but the others respond that they canā€™t contribute at the moment. How would that situation be handled?
I would assume as mentioned the funding would be pre arranged, eveyone would contribute x,y,z to a put before transfers are able to happen. As the clubs funding and money would be one entity as apose to 10 seperate pots

Blindsided as in they werenā€™t expecting it to happen. Remember they had got pretty much to the EFL deadline without any apparent interest in him. Who here over the summer saw him going to a club in our division?

I knew they needed a backup to him but they secured the backup quickly. What they havent done is secured the direct replacement. Theyā€™ve secured the player who could come on for 15 minutes and make the occasional start. I never believed that every player is a starter. Some are backups whose role is largely off the bench as fresh legs.

Cardwell was one of three players this team was built around whoā€™d play every minute of Maher could let him. Those players arenā€™t easy to replace. Those players are on a different white board list to those who can spell them for 15 minutes from the bench.
Sometimes players are signed as back-ups but become replacements. Anyone remember when a young Freddy Eastwood was initially signed on loan from Grays and Tilson said he did not see Eastwood as the answer to Southend's striker problems at that time. A few goals later Tilson changed his mind and the club parted with 40,000 for his signature. Bim Pepple now has a chance now to surprise a few people and claim the shirt.

Blindsided as in they werenā€™t expecting it to happen. Remember they had got pretty much to the EFL deadline without any apparent interest in him. Who here over the summer saw him going to a club in our division?

I knew they needed a backup to him but they secured the backup quickly. What they havent done is secured the direct replacement. Theyā€™ve secured the player who could come on for 15 minutes and make the occasional start. I never believed that every player is a starter. Some are backups whose role is largely off the bench as fresh legs.

Cardwell was one of three players this team was built around whoā€™d play every minute of Maher could let him. Those players arenā€™t easy to replace. Those players are on a different white board list to those who can spell them for 15 minutes from the bench.
When we signed Cardwell few saw a player that would be soon valued at 120k . He came to us because at that time no one else was willing to take a punt on his potential. In his time with Southend he stayed relatively injury free and played regularly thus developing into a much more valuable player than the one we recruited.

The idea that we now might be able to sign a like for like replacement for HC is surely fanciful. Any striker who might be universally expected to score 15 to 20 a season in the NL, with or without HC's workrate, would demand a fee and wages beyond anything we are likely to be able to afford.

It is very possible that if and when we sign a replacement he will be a mirror image of HC when he first arrived; ie long on potential but short on actual career achievements. Signing such a player requires taking a punt, and, as someone who does not mind making a bet, that can be very rewarding but does not always come off. Even if we have already been able to identify such a player bringing him in may take longer than all of us might like.

In the meantime I can see why KM might be discouraged but managing is making the best of available resources. He now has to try meet the challenges caused by recent developments unwelcome and unexpected as they were.

It is too early to write off this season. As I have said before in a league like the NL a strong finish is more important than what happens in August/September. It may take time to bring the players we need but we now need to ensure we do not fall too far behind the competition. Provided we have a full or almost full compliment of players and are mid table by the time 2025 comes around we could still mount an irresistible challenge for a play off slot. In such circumstances (an imporving team with strong recent form) we would be a team no one would want to play against in the play offs.

Had the takeover been completed two months earlier we would likely have found life a little easier but the disadvantages of being slow into our stride have been seriously compunded by the departure of HC, OK's issues and injuries. Some might like to speculate how much has been already spent on the upkeep/maintenance of Roots Hall in 2024, and, how many really decent players that money might have allowed us to bring in. Sadly a fit squad of twenty four players without a ground to play on would be an even worse predicament than the one we now find ourselves in.

Before COSU took over we were a basket case of a foorball club who might have gone out of exsitance any time. Needless to say we were then skint. While money is an issue with us, and is likely to be so for some time yet, our future is in the process of being secured and we are not under embargo. Things are from ideal but this is hardly the worst situation the club has ever faced.

It goes without saying that I believe we have to remain patient while acknowledging a testing month if not six weeks awaits us. Those who advocate a quick fix, or, money splashed on urgent reinforcements, may be disappointed.

Meltdown might be the default position on SZ for a while yet!

In the meantime here's to our next signing (whoever he might be) and a win tomorrow. 4-0 against Oldham has a familiar and comforting ring about it. UTB!

When we signed Cardwell few saw a player that would be soon valued at 120k . He came to us because at that time no one else was willing to take a punt on his potential. In his time with Southend he stayed relatively injury free and played regularly thus developing into a much more valuable player than the one we recruited.

The idea that we now might be able to sign a like for like replacement for HC is surely fanciful. Any striker who might be universally expected to score 15 to 20 a season in the NL, with or without HC's workrate, would demand a fee and wages beyond anything we are likely to be able to afford.

It is very possible that if and when we sign a replacement he will be a mirror image of HC when he first arrived; ie long on potential but short on actual career achievements. Signing such a player requires taking a punt, and, as someone who does not mind making a bet, that can be very rewarding but does not always come off. Even if we have already been able to identify such a player bringing him in may take longer than all of us might like.

In the meantime I can see why KM might be discouraged but managing is making the best of available resources. He now has to try meet the challenges caused by recent developments unwelcome and unexpected as they were.

It is too early to write off this season. As I have said before in a league like the NL a strong finish is more important than what happens in August/September. It may take time to bring the players we need but we now need to ensure we do not fall too far behind the competition. Provided we have a full or almost full compliment of players and are mid table by the time 2025 comes around we could still mount an irresistible challenge for a play off slot. In such circumstances (an imporving team with strong recent form) we would be a team no one would want to play against in the play offs.

Had the takeover been completed two months earlier we would likely have found life a little easier but the disadvantages of being slow into our stride have been seriously compunded by the departure of HC, OK's issues and injuries. Some might like to speculate how much has been already spent on the upkeep/maintenance of Roots Hall in 2024, and, how many really decent players that money might have allowed us to bring in. Sadly a fit squad of twenty four players without a ground to play on would be an even worse predicament than the one we now find ourselves in.

Before COSU took over we were a basket case of a foorball club who might have gone out of exsitance any time. Needless to say we were then skint. While money is an issue with us, and is likely to be so for some time yet, our future is in the process of being secured and we are not under embargo. Things are from ideal but this is hardly the worst situation the club has ever faced.

It goes without saying that I believe we have to remain patient while acknowledging a testing month if not six weeks awaits us. Those who advocate a quick fix, or, money splashed on urgent reinforcements, may be disappointed.

In the meantime here's to our next signing (whoever he might be) and a win tomorrow. 4-0 against Oldham has a familiar and comforting ring about it. UTB!
This kind of reasoned, level-headed thinking has no place here. Be off with you.

I donā€™t get the abuse of him, just be kind, but the fan base is still so fragile, as is society, and when his job is to show the club warts and all and nothing comes from club heā€™s always going to get the brunt of it. I certainly wouldnā€™t want to do it.
I think CPā€™s posts are confusing sometimes. Although they come from the Echo are they from him as a journalist or him as a fan. Drip feeding fans from the Echo feed is not very helpful and maybe less is more. He knows we rely on him, hang on his every word as we try to understand the meaning of his sometimes ambiguous messages.

Gut feeling, no inside knowledgeā€¦ weā€™ll make do with what weā€™ve got for now, try and hover around mid-table and then have a go at recruiting around/after Xmas time in a bid to push up the table.
If this is the case then it simply isnā€™t good enough. 1 fit striker whoā€™s only just joined going away to Oldham this weekend is asking a lot of the young man. Ridiculous ask.

If this is the case then it simply isnā€™t good enough. 1 fit striker whoā€™s only just joined going away to Oldham this weekend is asking a lot of the young man. Ridiculous ask.
If Jack Wood scores twice tomorrow will you or I be the first the start the thread: 'Jack Wood....the Essex Messi?'

I think CPā€™s posts are confusing sometimes. Although they come from the Echo are they from him as a journalist or him as a fan. Drip feeding fans from the Echo feed is not very helpful and maybe less is more. He knows we rely on him, hang on his every word as we try to understand the meaning of his sometimes ambiguous messages.
To be fair, Chris has a job to do and that is essentially write stuff that sells subscriptions. His bosses may have given him a target number of articles to post online and he has to fulfil that target.

It isn't for him to manage how we interpret his words; that's for us to negotiate and we will all do it differently.

Gut feeling, no inside knowledgeā€¦ weā€™ll make do with what weā€™ve got for now, try and hover around mid-table and then have a go at recruiting around/after Xmas time in a bid to push up the table.
I think you may be right however I dont see why anyone would want to take that risk of making a late push for the play offs. If we got a decent striker in now and maybe on other then we should get play offs really. Its better to be ahead of the curve rather than trying to catch up.

It is clear that the morale boosting effect of the takeover on many supporters has been dissipated by the departure of Cardwell, the Kensdale affair whatever that was about and the injuries to key strikers, not to mention Demetriou leaving as well and the somewhat underwhelming nature of the two recent signings. Add to that the state of the stadium and the lack of discernable improvements to the facilities and the silence of COSU who always had plenty to say before the takeover and you get the feeling from afar that trouble is brewing. Maher's reported comments also seem to indicate that inside the club a similarly jaded atmosphere exists. Of course, it is early in the season and a couple of good results changes the mood completely. Let us hope it starts from tomorrow.

I think you may be right however I dont see why anyone would want to take that risk of making a late push for the play offs. If we got a decent striker in now and maybe on other then we should get play offs really. Its better to be ahead of the curve rather than trying to catch up.

Calculated gamble?

Weā€™ve lost out on several striking targets & the pool of whatā€™s left will be either expensive, inexperienced or on their final-payday trajectory. Why waste what (little?) money we have left, when better avenues could open up in a few months time?

I would say this approach will potentially see crowds drop as well - we've started to get 7K to 8K through the door, but how many of those will stick around if we are only hovvering around mid-table, which means a drop in income and less money available!

his first season here he seemed injury prone and i was naming him cardboard, but he made me eat my words , yes he will be missed but good luck to him hope he does very well except against us of course

It is clear that the morale boosting effect of the takeover on many supporters has been dissipated by the departure of Cardwell, the Kensdale affair whatever that was about and the injuries to key strikers, not to mention Demetriou leaving as well and the somewhat underwhelming nature of the two recent signings. Add to that the state of the stadium and the lack of discernable improvements to the facilities and the silence of COSU who always had plenty to say before the takeover and you get the feeling from afar that trouble is brewing. Maher's reported comments also seem to indicate that inside the club a similarly jaded atmosphere exists. Of course, it is early in the season and a couple of good results changes the mood completely. Let us hope it starts from tomorrow.
I for one am far from underwhelmed by the signing of KAP. I believe he has the potential to be a very serious and influential player for us.

Sometimes players are signed as back-ups but become replacements. Anyone remember when a young Freddy Eastwood was initially signed on loan from Grays and Tilson said he did not see Eastwood as the answer to Southend's striker problems at that time. A few goals later Tilson changed his mind and the club parted with 40,000 for his signature. Bim Pepple now has a chance now to surprise a few people and claim the shirt.
Completely agree. There is so much focus on clubs scouting. Truth is no club gets it right all the time. Most would agree John Still has a great contact book and has shown an ability to spot if a player can step up and play well at a higher level. Yet for the success stories there are far more duds. It comes down to a lot of luck, Tilly got just that with Freddy.

Back