• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
All that does is mean you still recruit but make the job twice as hard. Hope this isnā€™t the plan as itā€™s a sub-optimal one shall we say

Hey like I said, no inside knowledge on this, just a gut feeling.

But if you think we havenā€™t brought in any players because weā€™re still looking for the right ones, then Iā€™ve got a bridge to sell you

Sometimes you do just know someoneā€™s gonna be crap though and he just gives off them vibes

Incredibly harsh.

Bar a few highlight clips from YouTube, has anybody seen him play? I know I havenā€™t.

Stats can be dressed up in loads of ways. How many of his appearances are starts, or say, 60 minute plus? How many are subs in the last 15 minutes? I wonā€™t judge a player of his ā€œstatsā€, Iā€™d rather see them in the flesh and make a judgement.

I have to be honest. I fell quite underwhelmed.

I'm off to Manchester for the weekend for the fact that Southend are playing there. Its not a cheap weekend.

Not ideal going into a game on the back of selling your best striker, missing a match due to cost cutting, two other strikers missing, defender who played every week kicked out of the club and just an untested striker up top.

I will always expect this club to be competitive, more so at this level.

As for a striker coming in. There are plenty of players of promise in out league or below etc who would love to play infront of 8k. They don't cost the earth.

Hey like I said, no inside knowledge on this, just a gut feeling.

But if you think we havenā€™t brought in any players because weā€™re still looking for the right ones, then Iā€™ve got a bridge to sell you
Yeah, I think we havenā€™t brought in a striker because weā€™re looking for the right one. That means one good enough and at an affordable transfer fee and wages. We donā€™t want to bankrupt the club by paying any old donkey exorbitant wages just because they were once good on Football Manager 2015.

I suspect the club were a little blindsided by the Cardwell transfer. The fact the release clause was met meant we had no control over the timing (besides announcing it Friday instead of Wednesday).

We acted to get in initial cover (Pepple), there was enough budget for KAF. But to get in a core player - Cardwell was one of 3 key players that formed our spine - isnā€™t easy. Clubs will want to first secure replacements.

Clubs lower down arenā€™t going to be keen to sell players just now; players on the way down arenā€™t going to be the answer. Our best bet is probably another loanee for now whilst we wait for a NLN/S forwardā€™s club to realise this isnā€™t going to be their season and they may as well cash in and get a sell on clause.

I'd be interested in what Those words are banned was done on Bim Pebble.

He has hardly played a game and seems to go against the grain.

I really hope he is fantastic for us but it's more hope than expectation.

Well, for starters, John Still is still in contact with many people at Luton, so he spoke to numerous people at the club about him. I know that much.

The statement about the market being difficult right now I suspect in part goes directly to the large gap between what we want to pay for a striker, and what the market thinks we should pay. We can say we arenā€™t paying ā€œover the oddsā€ as much as we want but the market and market expectations wonā€™t change because we donā€™t like itā€¦

If so we need to get the cow over the bucket and use the loan market. I could have sworn we were told wait for the EFL window to close and things would open up after that?

For the striker I would certainly prefer the loan market rather the severely malnourished from lower league type as we need a front line striker (not back up).

Less worried about the other positions tbh.

This all said last week Kev was pessimistic about bringing anyone in and two appeared?
Youā€™ll find the market price is ā€˜the oddsā€™ regardless of where Southend want the market price to be

There is an unfortunate truth in football that the more you spend the better you do.

But when things settle down a little we still have a very strong squad for this league with some strikers with good scoring records out injured.

This season was always going to be one of cutting our cloth a little, we might make the playoffs but the legacy of the last 5 years will hang around for a while.

FGR are incredibly well funded and we shouldn't compare their spend to ours, there is no FFP in this league so they literally can spend enough to win the league, I do have a feeling that they won't go up this season though

Well, for starters, John Still is still in contact with many people at Luton, so he spoke to numerous people at the club about him. I know that much.
Over months and months ā€¦ you forgot that old boring rhetoric you like to role out , incidentally FGR were supposedly looking at cardewell before he was even born

Yeah, I think we havenā€™t brought in a striker because weā€™re looking for the right one. That means one good enough and at an affordable transfer fee and wages. We donā€™t want to bankrupt the club by paying any old donkey exorbitant wages just because they were once good on Football Manager 2015.

I suspect the club were a little blindsided by the Cardwell transfer. The fact the release clause was met meant we had no control over the timing (besides announcing it Friday instead of Wednesday).

We acted to get in initial cover (Pepple), there was enough budget for KAF. But to get in a core player - Cardwell was one of 3 key players that formed our spine - isnā€™t easy. Clubs will want to first secure replacements.

Clubs lower down arenā€™t going to be keen to sell players just now; players on the way down arenā€™t going to be the answer. Our best bet is probably another loanee for now whilst we wait for a NLN/S forwardā€™s club to realise this isnā€™t going to be their season and they may as well cash in and get a sell on clause.
Get off here with your measured common sense. We need hysterics.

How do Eastleigh afford to retain him? Do they have a owner pumping in cash?
Stewart Donald is back after selling his stake in Sunderland FC. He was at Eastleigh before and left them debt free after pumping money in. So he said he had unfinished business at Eastleigh fc, and they were in a bit of a mess a few years ago. They are now making a go of it with a new manager in ex Southampton keeper kelvin Davies. They got Paul McCallum on a free transfer and will be on a good wage which with Donald back, will be easily affordable for them. They certainly don`t get many fans, so a bit like Barnet and FGR with a wealthy owner. We play them next Tuesday and that will be a good test for us.1725570706965.png

Last edited:

Agree wholeheartedly about not wasting money on dross. However Itā€™s been nearly 2 months since we brought in Walker (universally agreed as an upgrade) and In that time, the only other striker weā€™ve managed to find is Pebbleā€¦ a player who, being generous, is relatively unknown.

Other teams - promotion rivals no less - have managed to find players. I guess weā€™re just unlucky.

Why would they be blindsided? The obvious need for a backup to Cardwell has been evident for quite some timeā€¦ you know that, youā€™ve said it often enough in the past few weeks.

If you knew it, and I knew it, why wasnā€™t it acted upon by those who should know it?

Replacing a prime Cardwell now will of course be a Herculean task, although it would have been easier to bear the brunt of his absence, if we had a replacement already waiting in the wings at the club.

Weā€™ve plenty of (cheaper) options. Free agents, loanees, talismans from lower levels.

The same options weā€™ve had for the last few months.

Iā€™d love for the club to ram this post down my throat and make a few more (decent) signings. It sounds like Kev would too. But at this point, Iā€™d rather some honesty. IF we have maxed the playing budget, just say so. Let us know so we can temper our expectations.

We all knew the limitations we had to deal with last year & it created the best relationship between us & the club that I can remember in my 29-years as a fan. Why would that be different now?

Agree wholeheartedly about not wasting money on dross. However Itā€™s been nearly 2 months since we brought in Walker (universally agreed as an upgrade) and In that time, the only other striker weā€™ve managed to find is Pebbleā€¦ a player who, being generous, is relatively unknown.

Other teams - promotion rivals no less - have managed to find players. I guess weā€™re just unlucky.

Why would they be blindsided? The obvious need for a backup to Cardwell has been evident for quite some timeā€¦ you know that, youā€™ve said it often enough in the past few weeks.

If you knew it, and I knew it, why wasnā€™t it acted upon by those who should know it?

Replacing a prime Cardwell now will of course be a Herculean task, although it would have been easier to bear the brunt of his absence, if we had a replacement already waiting in the wings at the club.

Weā€™ve plenty of (cheaper) options. Free agents, loanees, talismans from lower levels.

The same options weā€™ve had for the last few months.

Iā€™d love for the club to ram this post down my throat and make a few more (decent) signings. It sounds like Kev would too. But at this point, Iā€™d rather some honesty. IF we have maxed the playing budget, just say so. Let us know so we can temper our expectations.

We all knew the limitations we had to deal with last year & it created the best relationship between us & the club that I can remember in my 29-years as a fan. Why would that be different now?
Blindsided as in they werenā€™t expecting it to happen. Remember they had got pretty much to the EFL deadline without any apparent interest in him. Who here over the summer saw him going to a club in our division?

I knew they needed a backup to him but they secured the backup quickly. What they havent done is secured the direct replacement. Theyā€™ve secured the player who could come on for 15 minutes and make the occasional start. I never believed that every player is a starter. Some are backups whose role is largely off the bench as fresh legs.

Cardwell was one of three players this team was built around whoā€™d play every minute of Maher could let him. Those players arenā€™t easy to replace. Those players are on a different white board list to those who can spell them for 15 minutes from the bench.

Iā€™d like to understand how the transfer policy will work with COSU.

Kev identifies a player heā€™s interested inā€¦ Justin also wants the player, but being a savvy guy, he doesnā€™t want to cover the full cost on his own. So, he asks the other members to chip in. Four members agree, saying they can afford it, but the others respond that they canā€™t contribute at the moment. How would that situation be handled?

Back