• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
In the not too distant past when we were in League One we had, if what was said on here was true, one of the highest payrolls in that league. The reason the club was able to pay such high wages was because we skimped in other areas ie stadium maintenance sundry creditors and the VAT man.

The huge gap between income and expenditure could only last so long with the result we had to endure multiple winding up orders and court appearances.

Why did Ron owe so much money that the club almost went out of business? Essentially because over a period he paid too many players much more than they were worth and this swallowed up pretty much all of the income generated by the club.

And now people are suggesting 'loosen the purse strings' or COSU have to 'bring in the right players'.
Shall we do that and find the money to bring in a top striker by dipping into money earmarked for VAT payments?

It did not work before and will not work in the future.

I feel for Kev but suspect a win Saturday might lift his spirits.

No.

I know John Still was actively watching a player, I wonā€™t say who, on Monday night. No idea if anything comes of that.

Kev has outlined how it is. Itā€™s difficult, itā€™s always difficult. Whether any changes between now and Saturday, who knows. Itā€™s a waiting game.

The EFL striker we hoped to bring in before last weekend has gone elsewhere. We continue to work, continue to talk, and continue to look.

As for the talk of things being quiet, they always have been under Kev in terms of noises out of the club, because he keeps his cards close to his chest. PB was brilliant for CP and the echo as he loved a soundbyte and would give hints, Kev doesnā€™t do that. @londonshrimper. puts names out and he is a excellent source, even if some turned on him after CPā€™s tweet last week. KAF had signed on the Thursday for us, and CP put the tweet out on Fridayā€¦
Dalby?

I believe that lad from Charlton that we had on loan. Think his name maybe Kanu ?
If heā€™s down the pecking order canā€™t we get him back on loan ?
He did looked pretty decent at this level and he knows our style of play so should fit in quickly. Our am I missing the blindingly obvious šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

I believe that lad from Charlton that we had on loan. Think his name maybe Kanu ?
If heā€™s down the pecking order canā€™t we get him back on loan ?
He did looked pretty decent at this level and he knows our style of play so should fit in quickly. Our am I missing the blindingly obvious šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Other than the fact he only had one good name and never looked like scoring again.

Great Expectations meet reality wall. As supporters I think we need patience, REMEMBER we've still got a club to support. Throwing silly money at a strike option, which may or may not work for us is, doesn't make financial sense. Wrexham have released three good strikers but two have stayed reasonably local and one we all know about has gone up to Scotland. Loan of an EFL striker looks the best bet, we'll just have to wait until that comes to fruition. If that means losing some points in the near future we'll just have to like it or lump it. KM sounds rather like one of those weather forecasters warning of bad storms as an insurance against the risk of some poor results. Who knows? it may well not turn out as bad as feared. I would however think, as many others do, that a statement from the owners would be welcomed and may provide understanding and help temper expectations.

Last edited:
Its pretty clear a lot of people are getting tetchy over a lot of things at the moment.

Pretty sure COSU putting out a statement outlining some plans for moving forward would quell a lot of it.
I agree as do a lot of others.

I find it strange there has be no comms from COSU since takeover. Just a simple Thanks for backing us in huge (almost record breaking numbers - in just a few weeks) numbers, weā€™ve got a lot of work to do but weā€™ve done this, looking to do that, short & long term ambitions, whilst steadying the club financially etc. To say nothing is what weā€™ve experienced for 20 years under the Dark Lord.

I hope soon that the silence is broken and some positive comms can give us the lift it feels like we need right nowā€¦

Totally agree with this. If the consortium are not prepared to stump up money to improve team and gain success what was the point of taking over the Club. Sorry COSU but at this moment in time there is no clear sign that we are much better off under you. Yes there is almost certainly so much **** that they have off field to deal with but we are a football club and on field is where success comes. We need to be competitive on the pitch. I do not think we are. Mid table mediocrity this season. The scoreboard paid for by Wefinanceanycar. (more advertising than scoreboard) Main stand car park sign paid for by Foxhie. Facilities still crap (soap) I have not seen anything that looks as if COSU have improved ground. Come on COSU pull your bloody finger out. Back the Amigos and give Kev the tools to **** this league. I am not saying COSU aren't good for the club but so far in the short time they have owned the Club I think there has been a lot of hype but not a lot of noticeable improvement or communication. Just waiting for the people who wont read my post correctly and give me ****.

I think we are much better off under them. They have backed Kev, just not to the expectation that a lot of fans seemed to think. Thatā€™s on the fans for over-expectation and hype, COSU never came out and said theyā€™ll be splashing the cash and making our budget the best in the league, some fans have assumed that - incorrectly. They actually spoke quite a bit at Cliffs about financial sustainability and living within our means, I think people should have listened to that more carefully.

We need another striker, because our best one got sold. Thatā€™s whatā€™s got people down. You canā€™t budget for having 6 strikers at this level unless youā€™ve got money to burn, in case 2 get injured at the same time. Itā€™s just not feasible.

I think people need to reign in their expectation, itā€™s not come from COSU hyping the fans up, itā€™s come from some fansā€™ false expectations.

told by who though? people speculating on the Zone quickly becomes fact then people get ****ed off when it doesn't happen, even if it was nothing to start with
I believe Justin was quoted by someone on hear based on what Justin had told him- Iā€™m sure some knows where the post is..

Gut feeling, no inside knowledgeā€¦ weā€™ll make do with what weā€™ve got for now, try and hover around mid-table and then have a go at recruiting around/after Xmas time in a bid to push up the table.
All that does is mean you still recruit but make the job twice as hard. Hope this isnā€™t the plan as itā€™s a sub-optimal one shall we say

Yep Doesn't add up. Not to mention we've lost Powell, Fonguck, Lomas, Brooklyn, Vilhete, Dave Martin, and now JD who were all on our books at one point or another last year. Granted we've extended contracts and bought quality from higher leagues in but we simply have to add to what is now a depleted and decimated squad.

Powell upgraded by Walker
Fonguck replaced by Moncur
Lomas replaced by Gubbins
Brooklyn replaced by Wind
Vilhete replaced by Mikey Faulkner and Beau MacDonald
Dave Martin replaced by Hillson (and that Icelandic GK coach)
Demi replaced by KAF

All apart from perhaps Kabongolo being replaced by Wind are likely to be significantly more expensive replacements. Thatā€™s not including Morton, Waldron and Crowther who were all signed second half of the season.

Pepple replacing Cardwell is however likely to be cheaper and Dackers and Sandat havenā€™t been replaced (Iā€™d say Pepple was Sandat or Dackersā€™ replacement and we havenā€™t yet replaced Cardwell)

Maherā€™s not wrong about this being the toughest time to recruit. Give it another month or two and players will have fallen out of favour and/or need game time. Wait until after Christmas and clubs will want to cash in on players in their last year of contract. That doesnā€™t help us right now though.

Last week was Maherā€™s toughest week in management. He lost two-thirds of his spine.

I was optimistic that the team heā€™d assembled that stuck with us during the depths of the Ron era could challenge for promotion.

We may now still challenge for promotion but heā€™s going to have to build a new side to do so. But heā€™s been planning for that for some time. Crowther and Gubbins are already here. Moncur and KAF change the midfield and Walker changes the forward line. Yes we need more up front but Iā€™m excited about what he and John Still can do.

Keep the faith

Back