• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook 👨‍🍳

Transfer news
This doesn’t read well to me. Kev doesn’t sound happy?

View attachment 33750

View attachment 33751
Sounds not good at all surely some of the cards funds not that it be loads will go back towards a replacement … I would hope so anyway .

I’m sure this time next year they look back and maybe up the budget I hope as obvs there still trying to recoup as much money back to what they spent when the rat was still here

Striker is probably the hardest position to recruit. Everyone wants someone who's going to score 20 goals a season but they're very hard to find at our level as any strikers who do score prolifically are likely to move up the leagues, and so we're restricted to taking chances on youngsters on loan or players from lower down the pyramid. Unfortunately we don't have the money to spend on a Paul Mullin or a Will Grigg to get us out of the division.

As Kev is hinting, the shape of squads higher up the leagues is likely to look a bit more established in the next couple of weeks, which might make loan targets available who are not now. The problem is, we need a striker now!

Some of Maher’s comments sound like he’s a bit more ambitious than what COSU can offer at the moment which is worrying because if he gets a good offer then maybe he’ll feel it’s the correct time to leave unfortunately.
Who on here if they were him wouldn’t be frustrated right at this moment. He’s ambitious for success, he will expect that from the players, his staff, and I doubt the owners will be entirely exempt (notwithstanding the huge debt we owe them)..

Tough choices as well- if no strikers means mid table which means even 500 less on the average gate then that’s say £7500 per game x20 = £150,000 from now

If it costs 1000 on the gate or 1500 then multiply accordingly

Be interesting to see how it plays out

Who on here if they were him wouldn’t be frustrated right at this moment. He’s ambitious for success, he will expect that from the players, his staff, and I doubt the owners will be entirely exempt (notwithstanding the huge debt we owe them)..

Tough choices as well- if no strikers means mid table which means even 500 less on the average gate then that’s say £7500 per game x20 = £150,000 from now

Yes. This is a bit of a dilemma.

I think to kevs words here, this is a difficult time to get value for money too.

Hmm, its like he's written it as a fan forgetting he's a journalist. Doesnt really do anyone any favours tbh
I think you have it right there, they were the thoughts of CP the fan not CP the journalist, a bit of a spontaneous self expression of his feelings, the problem is people see and expect the journalist

How have we found ourselves in a pathetic position, I get we’ve had bad luck with injuries, etc but COSU were meant to resolve these issues, but we’re currently in a horrible position 🙃

How have we found ourselves in a pathetic position, I get we’ve had bad luck with injuries, etc but COSU were meant to resolve these issues, but we’re currently in a horrible position 🙃
Which one decent striker coming in can magic away pretty much so I’m still hopeful- I am hoping it’s a case of setting expectations low then over delivering

100% agree with this. Best to try and do things when you have the supporters attending and more money coming in. If we end up mid table and not challenging this season you can guarantee attendances will drop and then if it happens again they will drop again the season after making becoming sustainable even more challenging.

Biggest issue COSU will face

Southend United are a national League club with a League One fan base.

Expectations NEED to be outlined to the fans. Otherwise you end with ALOT of people talking and ultimately getting impatient and worried.

It's not like we are Dagenham who only have 1,500 fans per game, we are talking just under 8,000 on average ATM. Fans will speculate if left to do so and the bigger the fan base, the more false information gets out.

I personally was always prepared for a mid table finish this season as to me, it was only logical that our budgets would have been slashed. But no everyone felt this way and at no fault have targeted a promotion push.

This is where in my opinion, we need a vocal footballing director who not only knows how to run a club, but can identify realistic targets based on experience and our budget.

Isn’t that what John Still does?

Sorry but I Kev is a footy manager, the face of the club. Being all doom and gloom is not going to inspire us to come to the game. I'm not saying be all chirpy but this sort of negativity, whether he feels it or not, is not going to help!

The statement about the market being difficult right now I suspect in part goes directly to the large gap between what we want to pay for a striker, and what the market thinks we should pay. We can say we aren’t paying “over the odds” as much as we want but the market and market expectations won’t change because we don’t like it…

If so we need to get the cow over the bucket and use the loan market. I could have sworn we were told wait for the EFL window to close and things would open up after that?

For the striker I would certainly prefer the loan market rather the severely malnourished from lower league type as we need a front line striker (not back up).

Less worried about the other positions tbh.

This all said last week Kev was pessimistic about bringing anyone in and two appeared?
told by who though? people speculating on the Zone quickly becomes fact then people get ****ed off when it doesn't happen, even if it was nothing to start with

Are you expecting any signings shortly? Gone very quiet recently and sounds like even Kev dont know whats going on currently.

No.

I know John Still was actively watching a player, I won’t say who, on Monday night. No idea if anything comes of that.

Kev has outlined how it is. It’s difficult, it’s always difficult. Whether any changes between now and Saturday, who knows. It’s a waiting game.

The EFL striker we hoped to bring in before last weekend has gone elsewhere. We continue to work, continue to talk, and continue to look.

As for the talk of things being quiet, they always have been under Kev in terms of noises out of the club, because he keeps his cards close to his chest. PB was brilliant for CP and the echo as he loved a soundbyte and would give hints, Kev doesn’t do that. @londonshrimper. puts names out and he is a excellent source, even if some turned on him after CP’s tweet last week. KAF had signed on the Thursday for us, and CP put the tweet out on Friday…

Maybe I'm being naive, but being sustainabale in the National League is pretty much impossible.. Since the start of the summer window weve seen targets go elsewhere and weve been left with 3rd/4th choice and theres a reason we haven't signed them. Even now after the EFL window closing, it's just highlighted players STILL without clubs and again theres probably a reason for that

The consortium must have been aware that at our level there is likely to be losses involved. If they are saying no more money then surely if they have spent circa £3m and got the ground and training ground thrown in wouldn’t it make more sense for them to look for a buyer with deeper pockets prepared to back the best management team in the league probably the best supported club in the league now in an endeavour to get back in the EFL. I’m sure with RM gone the club is more attractive especially with the assets now in hand. Their silence is I believe a little worrying.
Totally agree with this. If the consortium are not prepared to stump up money to improve team and gain success what was the point of taking over the Club. Sorry COSU but at this moment in time there is no clear sign that we are much better off under you. Yes there is almost certainly so much **** that they have off field to deal with but we are a football club and on field is where success comes. We need to be competitive on the pitch. I do not think we are. Mid table mediocrity this season. The scoreboard paid for by Wefinanceanycar. (more advertising than scoreboard) Main stand car park sign paid for by Foxhie. Facilities still crap (soap) I have not seen anything that looks as if COSU have improved ground. Come on COSU pull your bloody finger out. Back the Amigos and give Kev the tools to **** this league. I am not saying COSU aren't good for the club but so far in the short time they have owned the Club I think there has been a lot of hype but not a lot of noticeable improvement or communication. Just waiting for the people who wont read my post correctly and give me ****.

Last edited:
Back