• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
I love Chris, but this is cryptic as **** ...

Is he eluding to the lack of fit players? Or are we in financial struggles again?
It is rather cryptic especially when fans are questioning how much (if any) money is available. With our track record and knowing the club like we do, a post like that automatically gets fans jittery.

However, it is probably just a reaction to Kev's demeanour, which is bound to be deflated when the spine of the team and two of his best players have been ripped out from it. Let's all be totally honest, and this isn't putting anyone down, but replacing Cardwell with a striker that has scored 3 goals and not replacing Kensdale at all, who we didn't even receive a deserved fee for, isn't good at all. We also don't know what this Kensdale situation, and the loss of Cardwell, has done to the morale of the dressing room. When you consider all of that, CP can be forgiven for saying things are 'tough'.

Last edited:
Interesting quote from Kev just now in his meeting with CP.

Maher adds:" Josh, Danny Waldron and Oli Coker are three big players out along with Cards going and Kensdale going so itā€™s very, very tough time. Itā€™s a very difficult market this time of year too."

So at least that is confirmed now.
Interesting quote from Kev just now in his meeting with CP.

Maher adds:" Josh, Danny Waldron and Oli Coker are three big players out along with Cards going and Kensdale going so itā€™s very, very tough time. We are not in the market again at this time of year because we have no money."

Fixed it to what he should have said instead.

The statement about the market being difficult right now I suspect in part goes directly to the large gap between what we want to pay for a striker, and what the market thinks we should pay. We can say we arenā€™t paying ā€œover the oddsā€ as much as we want but the market and market expectations wonā€™t change because we donā€™t like itā€¦

If so we need to get the cow over the bucket and use the loan market. I could have sworn we were told wait for the EFL window to close and things would open up after that?

For the striker I would certainly prefer the loan market rather the severely malnourished from lower league type as we need a front line striker (not back up).

Less worried about the other positions tbh.

This all said last week Kev was pessimistic about bringing anyone in and two appeared?

This should come as no surprise at all. It's a tough period because after the takeover expectations are sky high but the reality is that the budget is limited and we've suffered a major injury crisis and have lost two other key players just a few games in. There is a huge difference between what is expected and what can realistically be delivered.

Kev is ****ed off because I guess he knows that (a) in terms of squad availability things are about as bad as they have ever been; and (b) nobody (i.e. the supporters) is going to cut him any slack this season; and (c) Kev more than anyone wants to see the team progress and get promoted and he can see we are some way off from being realistic contenders this season.

The statement about the market being difficult right now I suspect in part goes directly to the large gap between what we want to pay for a striker, and what the market thinks we should pay. We can say we arenā€™t paying ā€œover the oddsā€ as much as we want but the market and market expectations wonā€™t change because we donā€™t like itā€¦

If so we need to get the cow over the bucket and use the loan market. I could have sworn we were told wait for the EFL window to close and things would open up after that?

For the striker I would certainly prefer the loan market rather the severely malnourished from lower league type as we need a front line striker (not back up).

Less worried about the other positions tbh.

This all said last week Kev was pessimistic about bringing anyone in and two appeared?
Quite. You can fish around in the lower leagues for most positions and squad fillers but match winners attract a premium and if we're going to get anywhere soon we'll have to suck it up and get on with it. Otherwise it'll be dissatisfaction and dwindling crowds.

This should come as no surprise at all. It's a tough period because after the takeover expectations are sky high but the reality is that the budget is limited and we've suffered a major injury crisis and have lost two other key players just a few games in. There is a huge difference between what is expected and what can realistically be delivered.

Kev is ****ed off because I guess he knows that (a) in terms of squad availability things are about as bad as they have ever been; and (b) nobody (i.e. the supporters) is going to cut him any slack this season; and (c) Kev more than anyone wants to see the team progress and get promoted and he can see we are some way off from being realistic contenders this season.
Reading CPs blog in full itā€™s clear, to me at least, that we simply do not have, in the current market, the money to bring in a quality striker on a permanent, and even free agents want more than we will pay. Particularly as he, naturally, wants to bring in players that will improve the squad.

Add to that they have to be very careful with Walker, and it wouldnā€™t surprise me if thatā€™s more than 2 weeks. And Waldron is much longer.

Pepple will need to play every minute of the next 4-5 games and under no circumstances can get injured!!

Not good. Not good at all. Yet the right striker happens along, then all of a sudden the sun has got his hat on againā€¦

I guess we have whatever Cards was on, plus what we expected to pay for the 3-4 we already said we needed to bring in. I would add all that up and bring just one in- the striker.

Everywhere else we can manage. Thatā€™s where we are I think.

Some of Maherā€™s comments sound like heā€™s a bit more ambitious than what COSU can offer at the moment which is worrying because if he gets a good offer then maybe heā€™ll feel itā€™s the correct time to leave unfortunately.
I loosely mentioned this in another thread that i have a feeling this could be a real challenging time for Kev , he's stuck with us through thick and thin with the carrot that perhaps we will get new owners, new influx of money and then he can compete to get out of this league and match his ambitions

Right now and in no way am i pointing fingers we are a season off achieving this and with other teams inheriting wealthy owners the competition will only get stronger , how long can and will Kev and co wait to be given the right tools to have a right go at being the best manager he can before he gets lured by a team that can match his ambitions

In short, we are skint and have pretty much spaffed the ā€œplaying budgetā€ā€¦not a lot left in the kitty as has already been mentioned by a couple.

Disappointing, but not a huge surprise.

How is that true.

Cardwell high earner gone.
Kensdale decent earner gone.
Moncur loaned in, rumoured 40% of a high wage being paid
Bim pebble. Loan and I doubt we are paying a lot.
Forson. May be on a decent wage.

We are still maybe 3 or 4 players short so how do we not have the budget.

Who are the high earners. Provbably Bridge, GSM, Ralph and Miley.

How is that true.

I think Moncur may be our biggest earner even with Orient paying a chunk.

We donā€™t know if weā€™re still paying Kensdale or not only that heā€™s not available for selection. There are 3 routes this may go a) sack him for gross misconduct b) keep him on until we can sell him or c) pay his contract up. Option a) Would be the cheapest option but even that would likely involve a fair bit of legal spend that would eat into the budget.

How is that true.

Yep Doesn't add up. Not to mention we've lost Powell, Fonguck, Lomas, Brooklyn, Vilhete, Dave Martin, and now JD who were all on our books at one point or another last year. Granted we've extended contracts and bought quality from higher leagues in but we simply have to add to what is now a depleted and decimated squad.

You can only so long continue to act as miracle worker until **** hits the fan. This squad is undercooked and now maher seems to be losing patience. Iv been little disappointed by COSU lack of ambition when it comes to the transfer market and lack of transparency towards its fanbase. I didn't expect a wrexham or stockport style but I expected bigger helping hand in the transfer window than maher has received. I'm not saying its easy to get players due to competition from other clubs but we are lacking squad depth which has been the case for sometime now. Problem now is to bloudy late to get the players you want now with the transfer window shut in majority of leagues. Free transfers and youth players from higher clubs is our only hope if there available.

Last edited:
Back