• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook 👨‍🍳

Transfer news
Another player who is a free agent and stands out to me as a Southend type signing is the striker Tyreece John-Jules. Former Arsenal youth and has had a number of loans in Championship and League One playing 70+ games with an output of 11 goals. 15 in 37 in PL2 as well. Might be out of our price range but only 23 still and so plenty of upside.
How cool to have the nephew of the actor who played Cat in Red Dwarf too. Was on loan at Derby last season and Ipswich the year before - would think they’ll be looking higher than National League to place him.

The transfer business has been very disappoint never the less, the fact we’ve been hit with 3 long term injuries this early as well is just salt in the wounds.

You could say from a COSU stand point it’s been disappointing that the transfer business has not flourished as we all thought it might, are we going to get anyone in? At the moment, we’re nearly as bad as we were last season, things need to move fast.

The transfer business has been very disappoint never the less, the fact we’ve been hit with 3 long term injuries this early as well is just salt in the wounds.

You could say from a COSU stand point it’s been disappointing that the transfer business has not flourished as we all thought it might, are we going to get anyone in? At the moment, we’re nearly as bad as we were last season, things need to move fast.
We really aren't. Besides the existential threat to the continues existence of the club, and our 10 point penalty, we had a smaller squad and couldn't sign players at all. We can sign players now, we just need to sign the right players on the right money. That does take time. Especially when your top, 2nd and 3rd placed targets (and maybe more) went elsewhere earlier in the summer. If we really, really need bodies regardless of them being the right signings, we can get them. I don't think we're that desperate just yet, even though it is far from ideal.

Let's hope we're close to a player or 2.

Last edited:
But it's not £120k. about roughly half of that has to be deductions for sell on fees to Chorley, signing on fee/loyalty bonus' to Cards, as he didn't request the transfer, less taxes and other deductions on the fee itself.

Doesn't mean some funds could be made available for re-investment into the playing squad though, hopefully.
Surely who don’t get to put a release clause in the contract AND get signing in fee/loyalty bonus from the selling club if it’s activated and you leave? You’ve put the release clause in to enable you to leave and you alone have chosen to do so? Football is broken I know but surely not to this extent?
The financials of this also bust the myth that by from lower leagues and selling on is a realistic game changer financially. Reality is you have to get lucky in which case happy days, but it’s not a reliable source of meaningful revenue.

Surely who don’t get to put a release clause in the contract AND get signing in fee/loyalty bonus from the selling club if it’s activated and you leave? You’ve put the release clause in to enable you to leave and you alone have chosen to do so?

Yeah that's what I thought.

What do we class as a top class striker though? Are we looking for a loan player that could be the answer (Assombalonga type? Pepple might fit that). A free agent such as Bonne? A gem from the book of John Still? Or taking a recognised National League talent from another club? No chance of it but a McCallum sort of signing.
That would be a result!

It's a good question.

Just someone who (at least on paper) should be capable of 15-20 goals this season. That's essentially what we have lost with Cards. Whether that's a proven NL striker or above, or a talented PL youngster.

I totally get and understand finances are tight. However, we can't lose someone like Cards and not replace him adequately.
Let's not forget that this is not what we bought with Cards, though. Or, at least, there was no evidence other than the opinions of the people we had watching him, that this is what Cards would have become.

If we sign somebody with a similar record and career history to Cards' pre-SUFC, I imagine lots of people on here would feel underwhelmed......but that player could then become just as good/important as Cards, if not better.

Sometimes we've just got to trust what John Still's army sees.

Last edited:
With Leaburn coming back form injury Daniel Kanu has gone down the pecking order at CAFC even further, im guessing the Trio would have kept an eye on his developments and maybe his next loan will be with a L2 side but would like to see him back with us for a short period of time, hes defiantly a 1 in 2.5 ratio at this level

Watched Aveley last night. Harry Gibbs was defensively excellent. Didn't get to see much of him on the ball but won and blocked absolutely everything. Wouldn't be surprised if that's who John Still was watching last night
Mate who went said he's been there a few years and probably about his max level and would be staggered if we are looking at him.

Liked the LWB Jimmy Muitt though, albeit he got a knock and went off before the end.

It is effectively the same. It means he has inserted a clause where he automatically gets to talk to any club meeting the release sum purely at his discretion whether his club likes it or not…
Whilst I agree it is effectively the same, it is not exactly the same.

Once again I agree with everything you have said reference inserting the clause that allows him to speak to anyone that meets the figure stated in contract to trigger that situation. Putting the player in more control. win win in the case that the club keep a player for longer, as he might not sign otherwise, but the player has more control over their future on that basis.

It is not though exactly the same as a player going to the club and asking to be transferred and submitting a transfer request. That is a key difference and why in that situation the player relinquishes any right to contractual payments such as loyalty fees or signing on fees. Said player is terminating contract before it expires.

In the case of a player submitting a release clause and both player and club agreeing to that in the contract, even if the club receive a bid that triggers the release clause, because it is included in the contract it is not in breach of contract, therefore the player is still due payments due in the contract.

That's why in some negotiations clubs will negotiate reduced payments to players if they submit a transfer request, so they are not due to make any outstanding contractible payments in full. Obviously, the relationship between player and club have to be extremely good to successfully agree that between both parties.

Last edited:
Steve Kavanagh is a laugh, isn't he?

Steve Kavanagh

Transfer Deadline has become one of the most exciting days in the calendar for football fans.

Supporters will spend the day eagerly refreshing whichever social media app they use, awaiting news of a signing or even signings in the hope that such additions improve their club’s chances of a successful season.

From a business perspective, however, is it such good news if a club has a very busy deadline day?

I have 23 years of Football business knowledge (or actually 45 deadline days!) and significant understanding and experience of the strategies and complexities involved and much more.

There are synergies throughout all businesses in how such planning and preparation is put together.

Thankfully Deadline Day of August 2024 will see me relaxed and reflecting on how I can put such experience and knowledge to use in the future.

I would be happy to talk to like-minded people and/or companies (not just in football) who feel my expertise in running high-pressured SME businesses may be of assistance - or even if you just want to hear some war stories!

So for whom is a busy Deadline Day good or bad and why?

Paul Napper
Deadline day in Southend, or Friday to everyone else 😂

Steve Kavanagh
Perhaps true Paul but The National League does permit transfers out side of the standard window, so i would say that’s good for Southend

Let's not forget that this is not what we bought with Cards, though. Or, at least, there was no evidence other than the opinions of the people we had watching him, that this is what Cards would have become.

If we sign somebody with a similar record and career history to Cards' pre-SUFC, I imagine lots of people on here would feel underwhelmed......but that player could then become just as good/important as Cards, if not better.

Sometimes we've just got to trust what John Still's army sees.
Not to mention the ability of KM etc to coach and improve a player.

Whilst I agree it is effectively the same, it is not exactly the same.

Once again I agree with everything you have said reference inserting the clause that allows him to speak to anyone that meets the figure stated in contract to trigger that situation. Putting the player in more control. win win in the case that the club keep a player for longer, as he might not sign otherwise, but the player has more control over their future in that basis.

It is not though exactly the same as a player going to the club and asking to be transferred and submitting a transfer request. That is a key difference and why in that situation the player relinquishes any right to contractual payments such as loyalty fees or signing on fees. Said player is terminating contract before it expires.

In the case of a player submitting a release clause and both player and club agreeing to that in the contract, even if the club receive a bid that triggers the release clause, because it is included in the contract it is not in breach of contract, therefore the player is still due payments due in the contract.

That's why in some negotiations clubs will negotiate reduced payments to players if they submit a transfer request, so they are not due to make any outstanding contractable payments in full. Obviously.relationship between player and club have to be extremely good to successfully agree that between both parties.
Perhaps put another way. If player wanted a release clause I would negotiate away the loyalty payment in those circumstances- no cake and eat it. Probably Cards had us a bit over a barrel but then by all accounts got a healthy pay increase as well

Anyway all after the event now

Back