• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook 👨‍🍳

Transfer news
I'm really clutching at straws here, but it seems strange for Maher to give injury updates on a Monday. We don't normally get them until midweek. Hopefully it's because they wanted to get the bad news out of the way early with the hope better news will happen thereafter.

We have 3 games in a week coming up, which are very difficult games (this start has been one of the toughest in years) and we can't be going into 3 games with 1 unproven striker and expect him to play all 3. Before anyone says it, Wood is definitely not a striker. Therefore, I do think we need to have one of our targets in by at least next Tuesday.

I can never understand why a club should have to pay an agents fee, if a player hires an agent then the player should have to pay that agent not the club.
Because players (or their agents) make it part of the deal. You want my player, you pay me a fee etc. And they tell the player don’t worry about paying me as large a fee because I’ll get the club to cover it. Player thinks that’s great.

We need a top class striker to replace Cards. But, do we have the finance to do so?...

COSU need to find some coins from somewhere, as we are ridiculously short in the attacking department now, after the latest injury update.
What do we class as a top class striker though? Are we looking for a loan player that could be the answer (Assombalonga type? Pepple might fit that). A free agent such as Bonne? A gem from the book of John Still? Or taking a recognised National League talent from another club? No chance of it but a McCallum sort of signing.

We need a top class striker to replace Cards. But, do we have the finance to do so?...

COSU need to find some coins from somewhere, as we are ridiculously short in the attacking department now, after the latest injury update.
You’d hope they have a speculation pot like when we tried to buy Josh Kelly for £100k was it? Say Charlton offered us Kanu for a fee with a sell on, they won’t, but should we be looking for youth higher up the pyramid to take a punt with a few quid that is likely to reap big rewards if our management team can improve them.

Because players (or their agents) make it part of the deal. You want my player, you pay me a fee etc. And they tell the player don’t worry about paying me as large a fee because I’ll get the club to cover it. Player thinks that’s great.
This is why football agents are so despised.
But then football is a game that is corrupt and grubby. We shouldn't be surprised.

You’d hope they have a speculation pot like when we tried to buy Josh Kelly for £100k was it? Say Charlton offered us Kanu for a fee with a sell on, they won’t, but should we be looking for youth higher up the pyramid to take a punt with a few quid that is likely to reap big rewards if our management team can improve them.
It's that type of strategy we need to follow. Of course, a McCallum would be great but many on here have stated that our squad isn't big enough to get promotion. So what's the point in getting in a player who is so expensive with no sell on value and we will probably still be in this league? It makes no financial sense. This is coming from someone who wants McCallum, that's the greedy fan in me. That's why fans should be nowhere near decisions at clubs, we aren't rational. Someone like Adarkwa (injury permitting) makes more sense, as he's still young and could be sold on for profit. It's the business model we all loathe as fans but one owners have to follow to be sustainable.

I was just thinking as to who we could bring in to fill the new gap in the centre half department and noticed Jamal Baptiste is now a free agent. Previously West Ham and Man City youth and was absolute class against us a few years back in a pre season friendly when he was just 17. Remembered him from that game as thought he stood out.

Reading between the lines it appears he may have some off field issues as to why he has been released so wondering if this is the type of red flag that would stop a club like us with a small squad from looking at such a player?

I was just thinking as to who we could bring in to fill the new gap in the centre half department and noticed Jamal Baptiste is now a free agent. Previously West Ham and Man City youth and was absolute class against us a few years back in a pre season friendly when he was just 17. Remembered him from that game as thought he stood out.

Reading between the lines it appears he may have some off field issues as to why he has been released so wondering if this is the type of red flag that would stop a club like us with a small squad from looking at such a player?
Didn’t stop us with Nile Ranger….

Great shout that, believe he scored 2 against us

Yes and No

From what I've read and heard, We have the finances to pay the wages of a competitive side. A small side, but one that should be able to compete in the top half of the table and push for playoffs.

So yes, we should have the budget to sign a decent replacement for Cardwell, but we won't be breaking the bank and bringing in a marquee signing anytime soon.

I imagine, the task now is to bring 1 or maybe 2 new bodies in before the new year, and that's that. Our budget needs to be spent wisely and I'm sure KM and everyone will be double checking everything before they bring someone in.

What do we class as a top class striker though? Are we looking for a loan player that could be the answer (Assombalonga type? Pepple might fit that). A free agent such as Bonne? A gem from the book of John Still? Or taking a recognised National League talent from another club? No chance of it but a McCallum sort of signing.
It's a good question.

Just someone who (at least on paper) should be capable of 15-20 goals this season. That's essentially what we have lost with Cards. Whether that's a proven NL striker or above, or a talented PL youngster.

I totally get and understand finances are tight. However, we can't lose someone like Cards and not replace him adequately.

One of the things that never really materialised was Stan’s black book. The idea of picking up a loan or two from a moneybags club where they would pick up the wages was an exciting prospect and fit our financial model (or as someone suggested using our Rangers links). Clubs like Chelsea have so many players not near the match day squad that you’d have thought there were players there. Clearly loads of clubs would be interested so it would largely come down to using networks.

DRUG RIDE

Man City star Jamal Baptiste fined after being caught inhaling laughing gas while driving​

Like this

With Cardwell leaving we do have the finance available. They will have had a contingency plan if any of our best players left in the summer or snapped up as Harry was. His fee and his wage will surely go into the budget.

The two lads who arrived last week were already part of the squad strengthening programme. Another midfielder and a forward on loan.

HC leaving has happened just at the wrong time. Number 9 is the most important position on the pitch. Those that only judge on goals scored really never appreciated Harry's contribution to the team.

Maybe another loan of an experienced target man is the best option. Rather than the fans rush in and buy anyone approach because we have Oldham and Eastleigh in a week. Looking for permanent signing will be difficult as any decent 9's who we could afford and will fit into out wage structure will be really thin on the ground in September.

It does open the door for even a Championship standard loan as he is more or less guaranteed to start. Would be wasteful not to use that option. Especially as we did not expect the Kensgate scandal with will add further requirement and financial pressure to our club.

Back