• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
Is it worth noting that just because we are allowed to name 7 subs, we donā€™t have to, so wouldnā€™t judge squad size purely on this rule change

Do we know why Kev doesnā€™t seem to like loans? They helped us massively at the start of his tenure and they have massively helped all the clubs who have been promoted in recent seasons
I'd say you would always want 'your own' players over loans any day of the week.
Loans from higher div don't always work out as we have seen many times, they don't have the bollox for it.
Some exceptions no doubt.

Do we know why Kev doesnā€™t seem to like loans? They helped us massively at the start of his tenure and they have massively helped all the clubs who have been promoted in recent seasons

Loans are only a temporary solution and heā€™s thankfully trying to build long term.

There have been a couple of occasions weā€™ve signed loanees who have been hits only for their club to recall them or weā€™ve been unable to extend their spell and it puts us back to square one.

This is incredibly disruptive to coaching and to team spirit. With every new signing there is an adjustment period, you need to go over things youā€™ve already explained to the rest of the squad. It stops you working on new things. The fewer disruptions the better and if you rely on loanees there will be disruption after disruption.

People talk about how having a small squad has benefitted us (and it has) but an even bigger benefit has been the continuity weā€™ve enjoyed from season to season.

I think we saw how a small squad helped the team spirit and cohesion. I feel a bit nervous about some of the squad sizes being mooted. A couple of injuries and youā€™re down to 6 subs so what ? Itā€™s still a lot.
So you are at a disadvantage- may or may not be meaningful depending on who that extra player would have been for us and the contribution of that extra player for them. Fresh legs from strength in depth, and given 5 subs can come on, will on occasion win/lose games.

Iā€™d draw the distinction between loans like Kacper Łopata, Daniel Kanu, Harrison Neal and Zac Brunt who went straight into the side as key pieces and loans like Deon Woodman, Joe Gubbins and Blondy Nna Noukeu who were signed as depth.

It was hugely disruptive when Łopata or Kanu were recalled - and these are the types of loans Iā€™d try to avoid building my side around - but when someone is recalled who is sitting on the bench it is much easier to adapt to.

Additionally the use of loanees allows for a smaller squad as you donā€™t have to plan for every scenario if your plan B is to get a loanee in in case of injuries.
Problem with that is, I suspect not many teams would be happy to loan a player for them to sit on the bench, they want them playing, hence why they loan them out.

Probably why Maher isn't overly keen on the loan market either.

I'm not a fan of the bloated loan system ...... but I think Uncle Kev has generally been wise in the loan market to date. I could easily see a couple of players joining us as the transfer window closes in the league above.

Could give us some extra options.

I am just hazarding a guess, but I surmise that the two transfers announced were sanctioned by COSU as they believe the completion of the deal is close enough to warrant completing these two transfers now, before possibly losing another two targets off the infamous whiteboard. Again that would appear to send the message Gubbins and Walker were amongst our higher targets. Any more transfers will follow, but not before the deal has been completed, as the risk to losing out may be lesser than for these two.

As I say, no insight, but all my supposition.

I am just hazarding a guess, but I surmise that the two transfers announced were sanctioned by COSU as they believe the completion of the deal is close enough to warrant completing these two transfers now, before possibly losing another two targets off the infamous whiteboard. Again that would appear to send the message Gubbins and Walker were amongst our higher targets. Any more transfers will follow, but not before the deal has been completed, as the risk to losing out may be lesser than for these two.

As I say, no insight, but all my supposition.

I doubt it would be Ron.... Or the big lad with the fork

It does appear that rumours of signings has tapered off. Maybe its a case of no more until the deal is 100% whallop.

It's strange to have so few rumours at this stage.

Back