• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
Donā€™t get this ā€˜ we need to bring experience inā€™. Personally think weā€™ve got players in our squad with a lot of games under there belt in this league .

For me, it is partly about experience at higher levels. For midfielders, this can often this give them more composure on the ball & have that extra little something that can give them space & time.

I realise that is a large sweeping point of view that can be as holey as a certain type of cheese partly because it is still about recruiting the right player to fit in.

Just an opinion - I shall post & then await absolute agreement ......

For me, it is partly about experience at higher levels. For midfielders, this can often this give them more composure on the ball & have that extra little something that can give them space & time.

I realise that is a large sweeping point of view that can be as holey as a certain type of cheese partly because it is still about recruiting the right player to fit in.

Just an opinion - I shall post & then await absolute agreement ......
I do think a successful team needs a good mix of experience and youth. It does also need some element of experience in the leagues above as well so when we go up we dont have players who have never played at that level before too.

One of our shortcomings last season was being bullied by other teams
A midfield enforcer would be my choice of next signing āœļø

We all like an enforcer but bit harsh on our midfield to say bullied. Certainly not Miley or Morton. You can't bully Husin when he flicks it past you and sells you a fridge.

Jack and Ollie were never hiding and happy to have the ball in tight situations. Can't say the same for Wes but he's gone. But yes certainly an area that will be further strengthened. Personally I would like to see someone who is strong in the air as part of the midfield.

Last edited:
We all like an enforcer but bit harsh on our midfield to say bullied. Certainly not Miley or Morton. You can't bully Husin when he flicks it past you and sells you a fridge.

Jack and Ollie were never hiding and happy to have the ball in tight situations. Can't say the same for Wes but he's gone. But yes certainly an area that will be further strengthened. Personally I would like to see someone who is strong in the air as part of the midfield.
Tough as old boots Morton

You can't bully Husin when he flicks it past you and sells you a fridge.
Had limited chance to see in person last season but strangely I always felt the midfield looked more cohesive when Husin was off the pitch. One of the things I would like to see in midfield is someone who can carry the ball between the lines ala Dru or Lenny, not sure anyone we have quite does it that way now.

Had limited chance to see in person last season but strangely I always felt the midfield looked more cohesive when Husin was off the pitch.
I know what you mean but I actually felt the side looked most cohesive in possession when Husin was playing Mileyā€™s role and instead of linking midfield and attack he was linking the midfield and defence.

Kev is clearly great at building team unity , perseverance and a winning, fighting mentality
With 6 players out and just 2 in for now thanks to the hapless one ,and yet another embargo, at least our youngish small squad will continue their development and growing experience together at the outset once again, which will stand us in good stead this year

No doubt a few more to come in , 4 at a minimum I suspect. Keeping that unity and team spirit is vital. We know its harder with a squad of 34 with the likelihood,of more malcontents developing

It will be interesting to see at the outset for example how well or otherwise it goes for those NINE teams who have so far already got 8 or more new recruits in, to somehow settle them down

Aldershot, Burton, Dagenham, Woking, Wealdstone and York are all in the 8 newbies brigade. However top of the who are you ? outfits are BARNET with eleven transfers in , BRAINTREE with 12 and SUTTON bringing in 14 so far !!

The team is looking strong yes we still require 2 or 3 more, but with the three signings from last season getting a proper preseason with us, i got to say we are looking good. Easier to bed in 4 or 5 than it is to bed in 11,12, 14 , look at Oldham last season it took them a long time to galvanise .

The benefit we have over the "newbies" brigade is that we already have the core of an established and quality starting 11 so they won't need time to gel unlike Aldershot, Burton, Dagenham, Woking, Wealdstone, York, Barnet, Braintree and Sutton.

Our squad does not need major surgery but will benefit from the addition of a few quality players.

We already have a starting 11 which is easily capable of finishing in the top 3, hopefully the additon of new players will allow us to challenge for the top spot.

I think we saw how a small squad helped the team spirit and cohesion. I feel a bit nervous about some of the squad sizes being mooted. A couple of injuries and youā€™re down to 6 subs so what ? Itā€™s still a lot.
Absolutely this - I think we need a squad of 20-22 players, that will play as a team. Any more than that is a waste of resources in my opinion.

I think we saw how a small squad helped the team spirit and cohesion. I feel a bit nervous about some of the squad sizes being mooted. A couple of injuries and youā€™re down to 6 subs so what ? Itā€™s still a lot.
Although thats a fair point, I think our squad really struggled for a lot oif the time when we at best had 20. Lomas was injured and Powell. Mooney was released ansd seemingly not happy. Loanees had to come in from Sandat, Dackers, Kanu, Valhete was around, Kabongola, Woodman Martin and Hayes

For a man who doesn't allegedly like Loanees, Kev was forced to get in there and many of the above did quite a good job for us. Past Loanees also helped us pick up Gubbins and maybe Dackers

Now we only have 18 and that includes young Demi and young Beau ! having had 6 leave. It was a terrible struggle when we could only field one on the bench

This time round there will be 7 subs and is it 56 games with the new , albeit dreaded extra competition, ? where I guess we could field a lot of our own youngsters if allowed. About 8 Hamstring injuries per season occur in a 25 man squad

At one stage we managed our biggest squad of 22 on paper, although 3 were unavailable

The average squad size of the other top 9 teams was 28

I guess we could try to struggle through with just 22 again if we bring in 4 more soonish via various means

Even with bigger match day squads, and the fact that Kev isn't a huge fan of loans if he can avoid them?
Iā€™d draw the distinction between loans like Kacper Łopata, Daniel Kanu, Harrison Neal and Zac Brunt who went straight into the side as key pieces and loans like Deon Woodman, Joe Gubbins and Blondy Nna Noukeu who were signed as depth.

It was hugely disruptive when Łopata or Kanu were recalled - and these are the types of loans Iā€™d try to avoid building my side around - but when someone is recalled who is sitting on the bench it is much easier to adapt to.

Additionally the use of loanees allows for a smaller squad as you donā€™t have to plan for every scenario if your plan B is to get a loanee in in case of injuries.

Back