• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
Unfortunately you have to invest to progress its always been that way in football and in life in general. If COSU want 7k plus week and be back in the EFL with bigger income streams they do have to invest in better quality of player. If they just rely on john still to sign few diamonds in the rough then Southend will stand still and crowds will fade away. 7k plus in the National is bloudy good and there argument that COSU need to match that expectation. Currently we have the biggest crowds in the league but the smallest squad, that really isn't great look to be honest.
Neither is the crumbling terracing in the North and West Stands, nor for that matter, the West Stand asbestos roof and catering chaos along the rear concourse of the West. A better stadium means a potentially larger attendance at Roots Hall with more revenue coming in. Absolute catch 22 here I reckon, and it depends on your priorities as to what comes first. My guess is the infrastructure from a COSU perspective.

I think it's more of a question of have we played well in any of our 4 games as opposed to a reaction to losing against 1 of the favourites. I think we are more than capable of top 8 and possibly top 6, but I wonder if we have lost a bit of that siege mentality we had last season?
Regrettably it would appear some of the fanbase have, not so sure the players have.

Imagine if they hadnā€™t spent Ā£4 million before owning the club. Imagine if they got the club when they initially agreed heads of terms. Imagine if they took over a club that hadnā€™t let the stadium rot because the plan was to move. Imagine if they didnā€™t have to pay off creditors, HMRC and so on. Imagine if they didnā€™t have to sort out the new training ground that the previous owner had fumbled.

Perhaps they are cutting their cloth accordingly because theyā€™ve spent a ****ing fortune just to try and put us on an even footing.

Maybe, rather than ****ing and moaning after the back of a defeat, we dust ourselves off and focus on another big game tomorrow.

I thought the blame game would have stopped once RM left, but itā€™s just switched onto the budget, Maher & Still so far this weekend, and thatā€™s from me not reading every thread. Oh, just remembered itā€™s Morton, Wood & Waldronā€™s fault too.
Think part of the problem is the communication on off field things hasn't been as good as it could have been since taking over. Fans don't know what goes on behind the scenes and I think a bit of clarity would help

Neither is the crumbling terracing in the North and West Stands, nor for that matter, the West Stand asbestos roof and catering chaos along the rear concourse of the West. A better stadium means a potentially larger attendance at Roots Hall with more revenue coming in. Absolute catch 22 here I reckon, and it depends on your priorities as to what comes first. My guess is the infrastructure from a COSU perspective.
I see your point and I agree they do have bit of job on there hands interms of Roots Hall. Be interesting to see what they will do with roots hall going forward.

This is the right approach. Now we are up to numbers we should be bringing players in who are better than those we have. All of whom, maybe aside from one, are NL quality. Itā€™s about getting players who are the best in the NL now
Which is currently to our advantage as the majority should be

You can tell we lost yesterday.

Had we won 2-1, instead of losing 2-1, weā€™d be saying how good all our players were. Football fans are fantastic, itā€™s always **** or bust isnā€™t it, no inbetween.

Canā€™t it be the players are good enough and had an off day, which we do quite often infront of big crowds.
Had we won 2-1 yesterday our team would have had to have played considerably better than they did or out of their own comfort zone. Easiest job in the world sitting on your throne acting like you have superior knowledge we lost yersterdat because Barnet we completely better than us all across the pitch tactics players heart the lot .. stick that on your white board

Last edited by a moderator:
Or maybe a better manager

Agreed. If only we could find a manager with a winning mentality. Someone who had a history of winning promotions and titles. Someone who players respected & wanted to play for. Someone who could be good enough to win Manager of the Season in the league we play in.

And then, to put the cherry on the top, imagine if he was a Southend legend, someone who had the club running through his veins.

Man weā€™d be lucky to find someone like that.

Although if he didnā€™t win us the league within the first 4 games, we could have a look see if we could find another one. Or better yet, implement my long wanted idea of managerial winner-stays-on.

Agreed. If only we could find a manager with a winning mentality. Someone who had a history of winning promotions and titles. Someone who players respected & wanted to play for. Someone who could be good enough to win Manager of the Season in the league we play in.

And then, to put the cherry on the top, imagine if he was a Southend legend, someone who had the club running through his veins.

Man weā€™d be lucky to find someone like that. Although if he didnā€™t win us the league within the first 4 games, we could have a look see if could find another one. Or better yet, implement my long wanted idea of managerial winner-stays-on.

Don't forget working for periods without being paid and willing to work through transfer embargos!

Imagine if they hadnā€™t spent Ā£4 million before owning the club. Imagine if they got the club when they initially agreed heads of terms. Imagine if they took over a club that hadnā€™t let the stadium rot because the plan was to move. Imagine if they didnā€™t have to pay off creditors, HMRC and so on. Imagine if they didnā€™t have to sort out the new training ground that the previous owner had fumbled.

Perhaps they are cutting their cloth accordingly because theyā€™ve spent a ****ing fortune just to try and put us on an even footing.

Maybe, rather than ****ing and moaning after the back of a defeat, we dust ourselves off and focus on another big game tomorrow.

I thought the blame game would have stopped once RM left, but itā€™s just switched onto the budget, Maher & Still so far this weekend, and thatā€™s from me not reading every thread. Oh, just remembered itā€™s Morton, Wood & Waldronā€™s fault too.
If that was the case they would have had to pay a lot more than Ā£1 for the club, they might have even had to pay more than they have already.

If that was the case they would have had to pay a lot more than Ā£1 for the club, they might have even had to pay more than they have already.

Donā€™t forget they funded the club for MONTHS before they owned the club. They paid the wages of EVERYBODY at the club before they even had their foot in the door.

They back paid the wages of the staff who had gone without.

Theyā€™d begun paying off creditors and debts that had nothing to do with them.

Donā€™t forget they funded the club for MONTHS before they owned the club. They paid the wages of EVERYBODY at the club before they even had their foot in the door.

They back paid the wages of the staff who had gone without.

Theyā€™d begun paying off creditors and debts that had nothing to do with them.
If you mean the ones the club had built up over the previous ownership, they were always part of the deal otherwise the cost would have been the total of them plus the Ā£1 upfront.

Some people seem to have very short memories.

Nevertheless, I wish Justin would update the fans with some of the plans for the next few months - and level with everyone on the short term implications for the playing budget, while investment goes towards opening up new revenue streams for the club (e.g. fan park, non-matchday income, fix / expand stadium etc etc).

We do want to get back into the Football League and I hope its given the right level of priority - I'm sure it must be. However, these folks are new at the club ownership game and are learning as they go along (and playing catch up having been hobbled so badly by the ******* who used to own the club). I reckon we will likely get stronger as the season goes along and I'm very confident we will end up in the playoffs. Let's hope that's enough.

If you mean the ones the club had built up over the previous ownership, they were always part of the deal otherwise the cost would have been the total of them plus the Ā£1 upfront.

Well thatā€™s not strictly true.

For example, the latest HMRC bill, which COSU paid off, was never part of the deal, and thatā€™s why they initially refused to pay it and it almost scuppered the deal.

I think it's more of a question of have we played well in any of our 4 games as opposed to a reaction to losing against 1 of the favourites. I think we are more than capable of top 8 and possibly top 6, but I wonder if we have lost a bit of that siege mentality we had last season?
Yes Iā€™d say spells yesterday weee great and Boston was good .

You can tell we lost yesterday.

Had we won 2-1, instead of losing 2-1, weā€™d be saying how good all our players were. Football fans are fantastic, itā€™s always **** or bust isnā€™t it, no inbetween.

Canā€™t it be the players are good enough and had an off day, which we do quite often infront of big crowds.
I don't disagree with you often BW2, but I have to on this one. We won on Tuesday against Boston and some of us, me included were pointing out the shortcomings we have in the team during that game, the mistakes that were only too visible and the fact that they would come home to roost against the better teams.

Poor deliveries and weighting of free kicks, miss placed and wrong choices of pass, finishing etc. All were visible yesterday and low and behold against a better team it cost us.

The secret is to realise these shortcomings are there and until the squad is improved they will remain so. The next thing to do is not think we are the best team in the world when we win and the world has caved in when we lose.

However, in the time between matches I have no doubt the management team are working on our areas of vulnerability within the squad, but it's going to take time.

What will make the difference is a couple of wins, a build up of confidence and improvement on our execution of the basics, at the moment it's the basics that are costing us.

Had we won 2-1 yesterday our team would have had to have played considerably better than they did or out of their own comfort zone. Easiest job in the world sitting on your throne acting like you have superior knowledge we lost yersterdat because Barnet we completely better than us all across the pitch tactics players heart the lot .. stick that on your white board

Yes they would have, or Barnet not played as well obviously.

I donā€™t have superior knowledge, Iā€™m just saying how I see it.

For arguements sake, Waldon scores his header before Gusā€™ equaliser and then Gus scores that and we go 1-2 up.

Morton comes on as a double pivot alongside Miley and we see the game out, we wouldnā€™t be seeing anywhere near as many posts stating Morton & Waldron arenā€™t good enough.

Obviously that didnā€™t happen, and we are where we are.

I donā€™t have the whiteboard silly. Surely your mate Pete (but that ainā€™t his real name) could have told you thatā€¦

Back