• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
Watching the performance yesterday it will need to be a long list many of our players still look like they are only good enough for National League North & South

You can tell we lost yesterday.

Had we won 2-1, instead of losing 2-1, weā€™d be saying how good all our players were. Football fans are fantastic, itā€™s always **** or bust isnā€™t it, no inbetween.

Canā€™t it be the players are good enough and had an off day, which we do quite often infront of big crowds.

Had we won 2-1, instead of losing 2-1, weā€™d be saying how good all our players were. Football fans are fantastic, itā€™s always **** or bust isnā€™t it, no inbetween.

Canā€™t it be the players are good enough and had an off day, which we do quite often infront of big crowds.
A bit harsh to say they are only good enough for a lower league.
Plenty of teams for us to beat and therefor stay up close to the top of the National League at the end of the season.
Only way to get promotion is to employ players from a higher level.
That will need a multi millionaire who needs a play thing.
Personally, I am happy with watching the National League. EFL would give me a heart attack.

I do think the day is going to come where COSU are going to have to either be prepared to up the budget & have a serious go at getting out of this league or accept the best we can hope for is an occasional go at the play-offs & gradually diminishing gates. The goodwill wonā€™t last forever, while our competitors are paying what it takes to get the best talent available. Itā€™s a tough business down here.

Maybe the recruitment needs to improve going forward...... if we continue to sign players who haven't got mentality to play infront of big crowds then will just stand still. Can't expect the fans to keep paying there hard earned money to go up and down the country just to watch bunch of players not being able to perform due to pressure. Can't be 1 way street I'm afraid.

Maybe the recruitment needs to improve going forward...... if we continue to sign players who haven't got mentality to play infront of big crowds then will just stand still. Can't expect the fans to keep paying there hard earned money to go up and down the country just to watch bunch of players not being able to perform due to pressure. Can't be 1 way street I'm afraid.

Thatā€™s happened for years Iā€™m afraid, nothing to do with the recruitment this time around.

Look at the games weā€™ve travelled in huge numbers in, and look at our record in them.

I do think the day is going to come where COSU are going to have to either be prepared to up the budget & have a serious go at getting out of this league or accept the best we can hope for is an occasional go at the play-offs & gradually diminishing gates. The goodwill wonā€™t last forever, while our competitors are paying what it takes to get the best talent available. Itā€™s a tough business down here.
Unfortunately you have to invest to progress its always been that way in football and in life in general. If COSU want 7k plus week and be back in the EFL with bigger income streams they do have to invest in better quality of player. If they just rely on john still to sign few diamonds in the rough then Southend will stand still and crowds will fade away. 7k plus in the National is bloudy good and there argument that COSU need to match that expectation. Currently we have the biggest crowds in the league but the smallest squad, that really isn't great look to be honest.

But how do you know that in advance? If you're looking for young players on their way up, almost by definition they won't have experience of playing Infront of large crowds

Thatā€™s happened for years Iā€™m afraid, nothing to do with the recruitment this time around.

Look at the games weā€™ve travelled in huge numbers in, and look at our record in them.
It does have bit to do with the recruitment though because we signing the likes of morton and Waldron who clearly not up to it. No fault of there own there just not good enough and being able to handle the pressure. I guess the only way to solve this problem is to sign more players from the EFL instead of lads who used to playing infront of 1 man and his dog. I do agree we don't do well infront of big away crowds.

But how do you know that in advance? If you're looking for young players on their way up, almost by definition they won't have experience of playing Infront of large crowds
Sign more players with EFL experience I guess. You do need those senior pros who can coach and advise younger players through games which should in theory help to develop there own game going forward.

It does have bit to do with the recruitment though because we signing the likes of morton and Waldron who clearly not up to it. No fault of there own there just not good enough and being able to handle the pressure. I guess the only way to solve this problem is to sign more players from the EFL instead of lads who used to playing infront of 1 man and his dog. I do agree we don't do well infront of big away crowds.

But weā€™ve had the experience EFL pros, players who have played top flight and still performed poorly.

As for suggesting we have to sign EFL players, people do realise that there is no guarantee that anyone we sign will be successful. We could sign the Real Madrid or Man City teams and that is no guarantee theyā€™d work out for us.

EVERY SINGLE SIGNING WE MAKE IS A GAMBLE.

You can run all the algorithms you like, all the Those words are banned in the world, but that means nothing.

We do what we do with our recruitment and our Those words are banned to find out about the off the field stuff, their character, what makes them tick, what motivates them and so forth. But it doesnā€™t mean it will work out.

If there was a formula to ensure a signing would 100% work, everyone would do it.

Iā€™m sure there are people on here who have recruited members of staff for their companies, or people that have picked partners, not everyone has worked out have they, and itā€™s the same principle.

Agreeed sensible post , so many over reactions to one favs in leauge

I donā€™t think they all had an off day, aside from Collin maybe. The defence looked fine (1 long range shot and a pull back for a penalty from a midfielder).

Noor played well, but tired quickly in the second half. The others were fine - aside from a few who shouldnā€™t be starters in a promotion chasing team.

We have a couple injured, good cover in defence (as shown yesterday) but need that similar cover up the pitch - certainly with 5 subs. We need a slightly bigger squad than we (should have had) last year.

Unfortunately you have to invest to progress its always been that way in football and in life in general. If COSU want 7k plus week and be back in the EFL with bigger income streams they do have to invest in better quality of player. If they just rely on john still to sign few diamonds in the rough then Southend will stand still and crowds will fade away. 7k plus in the National is bloudy good and there argument that COSU need to match that expectation. Currently we have the biggest crowds in the league but the smallest squad, that really isn't great look to be honest.
Or maybe a better manager

People keep referring to Morton and Waldron not being up to NL standard & blaming the recruitment process, but you have to look at how many targets were on the white board above those two who we lost out on. We were left with the best of the rest, which are probably average NL level. But we needed players, so what can you do? Weā€™re definitely going to have to be prepared to spend more money to get the top targets moving forward.

Imagine if they hadnā€™t spent Ā£4 million before owning the club. Imagine if they got the club when they initially agreed heads of terms. Imagine if they took over a club that hadnā€™t let the stadium rot because the plan was to move. Imagine if they didnā€™t have to pay off creditors, HMRC and so on. Imagine if they didnā€™t have to sort out the new training ground that the previous owner had fumbled.

Perhaps they are cutting their cloth accordingly because theyā€™ve spent a ****ing fortune just to try and put us on an even footing.

Maybe, rather than ****ing and moaning after the back of a defeat, we dust ourselves off and focus on another big game tomorrow.

I thought the blame game would have stopped once RM left, but itā€™s just switched onto the budget, Maher & Still so far this weekend, and thatā€™s from me not reading every thread. Oh, just remembered itā€™s Morton, Wood & Waldronā€™s fault too.

Imagine if they hadnā€™t spent Ā£4 million before owning the club. Imagine if they got the club when they initially agreed heads of terms. Imagine if they took over a club that hadnā€™t let the stadium rot because the plan was to move. Imagine if they didnā€™t have to pay off creditors, HMRC and so on. Imagine if they didnā€™t have to sort out the new training ground that the previous owner had fumbled.

Perhaps they are cutting their cloth accordingly because theyā€™ve spent a ****ing fortune just to try and put us on an even footing.

Maybe, rather than ****ing and moaning after the back of a defeat, we dust ourselves off and focus on another big game tomorrow.

I thought the blame game would have stopped once RM left, but itā€™s just switched onto the budget, Maher & Still so far this weekend, and thatā€™s from me not reading every thread. Oh, just remembered itā€™s Morton, Wood & Waldronā€™s fault too.
At least Bridge's step overs have been left alone for one week! šŸ¤¦šŸ¤£

Back