• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook 👨‍🍳

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think Morton and coker and hopefully Wood will be really impressive this season they are 3 not mentioned too much here but Coker for example i believe scored 6 or 8 goals last season if so im hoping he is one that can reach double figures this season , Morton a late addition like Waldron ,both have the opportunity of first a pre season with us which hopefully will have them firing on all cylinders come the start of the season , both like Wood have good potential , Wood im hoping this will be his breakout season ,he has shown so much potential at times, Crowther another who will benefit from a preseason with us and has so much potential both in defence and as a goal scorer .Im really looking forward to this season, it promises to be one hell of a ride ,

This is where the JS magic and scouting the lower leagues for players with potential is key. 3 more signings along the lines of these just made and 4 or 5 young players from the lower leagues with much lower wage expectations perhaps..
I wouldn't mind a couple of been there, done it, and got the t-shirt type signings too. Have any of our current squad got any experience of getting promotion?

If I remember correctly it was coincidentally announced just after the national league had joined the prem in speaking out against the need for a football regulator

On Squad size, when Kev took over with a squad of 30 plus, he said it had to reduce to around 22, 23.

On that basis strengthen the midfield and a reserve keeper, plus another striker and that would put us in the region of those numbers.

We’ve lost 6 players over the summer Fonguck, Woodman, Dackers, Sandat, Powell, Martin and brought in two so far.

I wouldn't mind a couple of been there, done it, and got the t-shirt type signings too. Have any of our current squad got any experience of getting promotion?
Yes - Crowther at Chesham, Gus at Royston. Think Waldron was at somewhere like Alvechurch or Leamington as well. There’s probably a few others who have as well.

In fairness if someone is 5th or 6th choice at Colchester, they're not going to be ready for us. We may be notionally a division apart but 8 times out of 10 we'd beat Colchester at the moment - the top of the National League is stronger than the bottom of League Two.

That said young players need game time. Kensdale has been terrific for us and I have no idea why Colchester released him.
That was largely due to budget cutbacks during covid, Ollie was one of around 7 lads many of whom were decent prospects released, there are always some who get away! The Cowley's are going for experience in midfield rather than young lads, I think Chay and Marley were good enough but hadn’t got the experience they wanted. I agree there is not much difference in the chances of either of us beating each other, at any time. I think there needs a rethink from the powers that be, maybe a 4th EFL division split old skool north and south from league 2 and National league clubs to reduce travelling costs and times for most teams.

Goalkeeper player/coach to back-up Collin

Wing back (I like @ShrimperStats’ idea of one who can play both flanks) - I’d probably look for someone who can change games off the bench for when we’re trailing. Possible youngster on loan?

Left footed creative midfielder - to compete for an immediate starting job

Targetman - to back up Cardwell. Must be able to hold ball up well and preferably run the channels as well (a Championship youngster on loan?)

Speedy forward - I’d probably look for a younger player to develop for us long term (Wyllie?)

Midfield utility man - maybe an experienced player here who can cover several roles and come on as a fresh pair of legs to help see out games. Maybe they can cover the WB roles as well?

That would be 6 additional players although we might be able to get a youngster or two on loan for free. Only one of them would be on starters’ money and the reserve keeper doubles up as GK coach
We definitely do not need 5 strikers. JD if he continues to play is cover realistically so unless we lose any more I don't think Kev will want 6 additions.

Quantify experience ? When does a player become experienced ? A number of our players have played a hundred plus games. Jack Bridge has played over 200 matches, Nathan Ralph nearly 300 matches. We have had "experienced" players in the past, Murphy and Hyde spring to mind. Hardly a rip roaring success. I am happy the way we are seeing the team grow as a unit. Good to watch.

We definitely do not need 5 strikers. JD if he continues to play is cover realistically so unless we lose any more I don't think Kev will want 6 additions.
We might not need 5 forwards now but we will likely use more than 5 over the course of the season.

Up front is the position you go heavy in as you want tactical flexibility and fresh legs off the bench.

I suppose Jack Wood could be our fifth forward.

There will be a paint pot type trophy competition between the top 16 NL sides v Prem U21s.

Absoultely ridiculous decision. All that will happen is the likes of Wealdstone/Alty or any others with **** pitches, will end up in an even worse fixture pile up than last season.
Id forgotten about that,

Total bull****,

Fans should boycott those games completely, send a message.

Quantify experience ? When does a player become experienced ? A number of our players have played a hundred plus games. Jack Bridge has played over 200 matches, Nathan Ralph nearly 300 matches. We have had "experienced" players in the past, Murphy and Hyde spring to mind. Hardly a rip roaring success. I am happy the way we are seeing the team grow as a unit. Good to watch.
I meant experience of getting promoted, it's great getting up and coming players but sometimes you need players that have got out of the National League beforehand and can help the others rather than playing loads of games but only know relegations.

I meant experience of getting promoted, it's great getting up and coming players but sometimes you need players that have got out of the National League beforehand and can help the others rather than playing loads of games but only know relegations.
May be wrong with this, but only JD, Nathan Ralph and possibly Jack Bridge have experienced relegation with us.

That certainly can help, but it has to be the right kind of player. Coulson boasted those experiences and look how that worked out.

That certainly can help, but it has to be the right kind of player. Coulson boasted those experiences and look how that worked out.

TBF I didn't think coulson was that bad in comparison to defenders we have signed in the league over the years.

Imho we have a better squad of players now than a lot of league 2 squads we have had

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back