• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
What Iā€™m liking already is the different options in many positions. Last season we simply didnā€™t have that. With 7 subs available and 5 can be made it will be easier for Kev to rotate the squad and keep players happy knowing that more game time is likely. Canā€™t see one weakness in the squad we have assembled to date. For me the likes of Sandat, Powell, Fonguck, Dackers were easily replaceable and with better players. Today after being under an embargo for weeks weā€™ve signed two very good players for a NL side. Just goes to show what work has been going on behind the scenes. Heard that Mccullum really wants to join but Eastleigh are asking for silly money and Tshimanga also is keen but wages maybe an issue. If we can somehow get either one of them in our frontline will look very good to complement an already solid looking defence
Agree the defence does look solid and if we can get either one of them in the strike force will be looking strong also, its the midfield im worried about especially a play maker and a goal scoring midfielder, am hoping Coker can solve that problem ,and wondering will Taylor move back to the midfield , definitely need a back up keeper some likeMartin who can also coach, a versatile backup for rwb/lwb

we have a min of 48 games with a match day squad size 18 to fill. Last season, the promoted clubs had 24 & 32 different players make an appearance. I would say ag very least we need 21 1st team players available with the addition of 6 youth players capable of filling in.

we have a min of 48 games with a match day squad size 18 to fill. Last season, the promoted clubs had 24 & 32 different players make an appearance. I would say ag very least we need 21 1st team players available with the addition of 6 youth players capable of filling in.
This is probably the biggest reason why we need to temper our expectations for the coming season. We'll need time to build from last season's footballing miracle to genuine title contenders.

Spot on regarding squad sizes
Last season I examined the squad sizes of nearly all the clubs in the Nat Lge. Apart from us, the top 10 averaged 28. Some had over 30, even 34
Prior to that I examined squad sizes of previous seasons winners. None were small squads
Tillys season was exceptional and of course I personally believe Kev is exceptional and can pull it off, and I totally get the benefits of having a smaller family type squad. However if you want to examine the likelihood of pulling off promotion with a small squad , say 22, against having an outfit larger than 24, the bookies probably wouldnt bother to give you odds, The 7 subs also need to be born in mind as a changed factor, even if we dont like it

22 will be the magic number I reckon of permanent squad players then cherry pick loan market when needed. If weā€™re up there post Christmas start some smart business early if in-form players are there and available for the final push and looking ahead.

how many players did we use last season?

Braintree picked up a couple of decent young players we let go while you were in that embargo situation who probably could have done a great job for you with sell on potential like Kensdale. Your old boy Chay Cooper and Marley Marshall Miranda, Chay was offered a new contract but probably knew he would be 5th-6th choice, he is a creative midfielder, Marley was unlucky to be released but is a tough defensive midfielder. It will be interesting to see how it pans out at Braintree for those two lads.

Spot on regarding squad sizes
Last season I examined the squad sizes of nearly all the clubs in the Nat Lge. Apart from us, the top 10 averaged 28. Some had over 30, even 34
Prior to that I examined squad sizes of previous seasons winners. None were small squads
Tillys season was exceptional and of course I personally believe Kev is exceptional and can pull it off, and I totally get the benefits of having a smaller family type squad. However if you want to examine the likelihood of pulling off promotion with a small squad , say 22, against having an outfit larger than 24, the bookies probably wouldnt bother to give you odds, The 7 subs also need to be born in mind as a changed factor, even if we dont like it
This is where the JS magic and scouting the lower leagues for players with potential is key. 3 more signings along the lines of these just made and 4 or 5 young players from the lower leagues with much lower wage expectations perhaps..

This is probably the biggest reason why we need to temper our expectations for the coming season. We'll need time to build from last season's footballing miracle to genuine title contenders.
I do get what you're saying, but take away the 10 pt deduction and we were comfortably in the play off places last season. This season we should improve and won't have any hands tied behind our back. The coaching staff and the players will be going for promotion, no doubt. **** the league, ok I doubt that but if we get some early momentum going .... why shouldn't we have a crack at it. It'll be fun trying.

Iā€™m not sure how you got to 27 as a minimum when the Champions were promoted using 24 but I think the key point is that they arenā€™t all needed at the start of the season.

The 24 will include players who subsequently move on during the season and were replaced; it will include loanees signed as injury replacements; it will include players signed mid season with a view to next season; it will include replacements for loanees who were recalled.

Chesterfieldā€™s 24 players used also included two players whose solitary appearance was as an 89th minute substitute.

The squad that starts the season isnā€™t the squad at the midway stage and isnā€™t the squad at the end of the season.

Weā€™re about to hopefully enter a period of stability where we donā€™t need to stock up on players because the next embargo is always just round the corner.

We should also be looking to leave budget flexibility so we can add midterm when a player weā€™ve tracked unexpectedly comes available, when we find the balance in one area isnā€™t quite what we hoped it to be or when John Still finds his next hidden gem.

We'll have a minimum of 51 games this season now thanks to the ridiculous new competition being forced on us from the PL

I do get what you're saying, but take away the 10 pt deduction and we were comfortably in the play off places last season. This season we should improve and won't have any hands tied behind our back. The coaching staff and the players will be going for promotion, no doubt. **** the league, ok I doubt that but if we get some early momentum going .... why shouldn't we have a crack at it. It'll be fun trying.

Agree. Play off form last year with a depleted squad and now we have a bigger and stronger squad if we arenā€™t in the top 3 and thereabouts automatic promotion we wonā€™t have moved forward. The pressure will be on.

Braintree picked up a couple of decent young players we let go while you were in that embargo situation who probably could have done a great job for you with sell on potential like Kensdale. Your old boy Chay Cooper and Marley Marshall Miranda, Chay was offered a new contract but probably knew he would be 5th-6th choice, he is a creative midfielder, Marley was unlucky to be released but is a tough defensive midfielder. It will be interesting to see how it pans out at Braintree for those two lads.
In fairness if someone is 5th or 6th choice at Colchester, they're not going to be ready for us. We may be notionally a division apart but 8 times out of 10 we'd beat Colchester at the moment - the top of the National League is stronger than the bottom of League Two.

That said young players need game time. Kensdale has been terrific for us and I have no idea why Colchester released him.

Reactions: TSG
What competition?
There will be a paint pot type trophy competition between the top 16 NL sides v Prem U21s.

Absoultely ridiculous decision. All that will happen is the likes of Wealdstone/Alty or any others with **** pitches, will end up in an even worse fixture pile up than last season.

There will be a paint pot type trophy competition between the top 16 NL sides v Prem U21s.

Absoultely ridiculous decision. All that will happen is the likes of Wealdstone/Alty or any others with **** pitches, will end up in an even worse fixture pile up than last season.
But they do that with the football league teams why do they gave to do another one with non league???!!! Probably because their teams couldnt win the EFL trophy

Not the end of the world for teams that don't get much reserve football for fringe players.

I'm also guessing that the prem has agreed to inject x amount of money into the competition which was gratefully received.

Hopefully entry to any such game will be very reasonable

We'll have a minimum of 51 games this season now thanks to the ridiculous new competition being forced on us from the PL
I have mixed feelings about the new "cup".
If, BIG IF, we stay injury curse free, we are generally discipline/cards/suspension very good now, we could use this to give game time for bench player, lads like young MacDonald and promising youths: BUT certainly we will need 20 plus squad to fit it in. These games could be good easing back for Noor for example?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back