• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
Personally wouldnā€™t mind Moncur at all. Strikes me as an Elliot Lee when he joined Wrexham

Elliot Lee : 34 L1 games, 3 goals 4 assists (season before joining Wrexham)

Moncur : 35 L1 games, 4 goals 4 assists

Lee didnā€™t turn out too bad!

Not to mention theyā€™ve both played for West Ham, Colchester, Luton and Barnsley

The obvious question marks are over what seems to be the problem surrounding him, but if we can get him playing he will spit goals at this level and could well be the missing piece to the jigsaw

You forgot to mention Elliot Lee at Southend : Lasted 20 minutes of training before the end of his loan

Lets hope Moncur lasts bit longer.

Personally wouldnā€™t mind Moncur at all. Strikes me as an Elliot Lee when he joined Wrexham

Elliot Lee : 34 L1 games, 3 goals 4 assists (season before joining Wrexham)

Moncur : 35 L1 games, 4 goals 4 assists

Lee didnā€™t turn out too bad!

Not to mention theyā€™ve both played for West Ham, Colchester, Luton and Barnsley

The obvious question marks are over what seems to be the problem surrounding him, but if we can get him playing he will spit goals at this level and could well be the missing piece to the jigsaw
I must admit I thought our days of rolling the dice on trying to "fix" older players with attitude problems were behind us....

Does he have an attitude problem?
Not in the traditional sense, but several posts in this thread have hinted that football isnt particularly his main priority and consequently he is falling short. I'm guessing that why in our position we even have a chance of signing him.

Played 35 games for Borient last season in L1
True, but Mooney played quite a few for us initially, appearances are not necessarily an indicator that all is well.

And why are borient considering loaning him out?

If it all works out then awesome id like nothing more.

Just seems for years we've been trying to get a tune out of wrong uns, crocks, or players on the way down. I thought this new regime were all about younger players on their way up.

True, but Mooney played quite a few for us initially, appearances are not necessarily an indicator that all is well.

Just seems for years we've been trying to get a tune out of wrong uns, crocks, or players on the way down. I thought this new regime were all about younger players on their way up.
I do get your trepidation, I really do, as I somewhat agree. However, we do have to have some experience and talent that is beyond the NL level to get out of this division. Signing young players only isn't enough, especially when the majority are coming from the leagues below. How many fans, if they are being totally honest with themselves, really thought the introduction of Wood and Waldron was going to produce a goal yesterday? That's not knocking the players, I'm just asking fans to be honest with themselves. I said it after York that the game changed due to the respective squads. They had players that could make a difference to bring on, we didn't. Imagine if we could bring on a Moncur or a Tshimanga?! Totally different proposition.

You've said about getting away from past mistakes, I agree, but that's more to do with 'past it' crocks. I don't think anyone can say that Moncur is a Hyam or Hyde. Unfortunately, we are playing at NL level and for us to get a player of Moncur's undoubted quality, there will be something not 100% right with that type of player, that's why we are in the frame. It's up to the management team to decide if it's worth the risk.

I go back to yesterday, we can sign players like Morton and hope it works, but we can't have a whole team like it. We will not get promoted if we do only that.

I donā€™t think you get out of this division without a little injection of ā€œexperienceā€

If Moncur signs and If he is fit and plays anywhere near to his true potential, then he should dominate the centre of the park at this level. If he doesnā€™t, we ship him back.

Perhaps he just needs a change of manager and scenery to get him back to his best? Weā€™ve seen it with several of our players that have gone elsewhere and found a new lease of life.

Letā€™s see if we sign him first and if we do get behind him and see what magic he can produce. I donā€™t see the harm with a loan deal. Iā€™d get it if we were talking a permanent 3 year contract!

I donā€™t think you get out of this division without a little injection of ā€œexperienceā€

If Moncur signs and If he is fit and plays anywhere near to his true potential, then he should dominate the centre of the park at this level. If he doesnā€™t, we ship him back.

Perhaps he just needs a change of manager and scenery to get him back to his best? Weā€™ve seen it with several of our players that have gone elsewhere and found a new lease of life.

Letā€™s see if we sign him first and if we do get behind him and see what magic he can produce. I donā€™t see the harm with a loan deal. Iā€™d get it if we were talking a permanent 3 year contract!
I think is more to do with others perception of his attitude. I posted on this thread earlier and I tagged him a 'maverick' If you look at his career he seems to be signed by managers who know what the player and the man is about. It seems to start going wrong when a change of manager occurs who doesn't understand his outlook on playing football, the way he enjoys playing the game or his personality, which ends with labels of attitude and commitment issues. He has a laid back attitude to life, if you win you win, if you lose you lose, it's just how it was pre-ordained to be from his perspective. You can see how that may well not fit in with a number of coaches views or expectations of what they want or need from him if he wasn't your player to start with.
You would hope and expect that if he comes here Kev & Co know exactly what their getting and have confidence they can provide the platform for him to perform.

Hope so. As always good or bad track record its a roll of the dice.

In an ideal world he'll slot in, be that missing link and improve every player around him in the process.

So you've decided he has an attitude problem?

I'll trust the management/ recruitment team who will have spoken to the player and those connected to the player, probably at some length.
I havent decided anything, dont know the bloke. But the information is out there if you look.

Sounds like Moncur is all but a done deal and he should come in, but how fit is he?

I wouldnt mind signings the striker for Hartlepool yesterday. Big strong and a far better target man than others..

I havent decided anything, dont know the bloke. But the information is out there if you look.
I've looked. What's out there is hearsay, conjecture and opinions. I do believe he has priorities and football may not be at the very top, but that doesn't automatically equate to an attitude problem.

There will be reasons why a player of his experience and qualities seems to be available to us. It's up to our management team to weigh up the pros and cons.

Back