• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
In all honesty I'd be surprised if we were looking at slightly past it players who are surplus to requirements at Col U - unless there's a genuine tactical reason they've been left out - such as (maybe) they're too good for a bunch of relegation strugglers. Matt Jay surely wouldn't be cheap.

Edit - just checked and he's only 28. Wow. Thought he was older.
Yes Matt is in his prime, he just isnā€™t a good fit in the way the Cowley's want to play things it seems, Conor is only 29 but he has had a lot more clubs than Matt. I think we payed a decent fee for Matt and no doubt he is one of our better paid players, probably Ā£2K a week minimum.

This is the thing, some may not agree with it, but just imagine we made an exception to the rule with him and all the other younger players in the squad wasn't shown the same exception. That would definitely kick up division in the club.

Odd one in that itā€™s not his age- heā€™s similar age to Crowther and Gubbins and doubt they signed on this type of contract (but maybe Iā€™m wrong?)

The issue is he 22 but comes with the experience of a 19 year old in terms of menā€™s football (4 games) plus an injury to boot- no doubt in our eyes he is a ā€œyoungsterā€ in his he probably thinks he deserves something else in line with many at his age. The thing he has to learn is probably that you are worth what someone is prepared to offer- and this type of contract is probably commensurate with where he finds himself career wise- and for him a big opportunity missed..

Odd one in that itā€™s not his age- heā€™s similar age to Crowther and Gubbins and doubt they signed on this type of contract (but maybe Iā€™m wrong?)

The issue is he 22 but comes with the experience of a 19 year old in terms of menā€™s football (4 games) plus an injury to boot- no doubt in our eyes he is a ā€œyoungsterā€ in his he probably thinks he deserves something else in line with many at his age. The thing he has to learn is probably that you are worth what someone is prepared to offer- and this type of contract is probably commensurate with where he finds himself career wise- and for him a big opportunity missed..
Maybe heā€™s also worried he gets another injury. A short contract and another year out with a hamstring is maybe the end.

Maybe heā€™s also worried he gets another injury. A short contract and another year out with a hamstring is maybe the end.
All players worry about this which the reason so few want to sign short term deals let alone the notorious pay as you play deals we occasionally fantasise about on here. Players are people and do have bills to pay like everyone else.

Yeah I agree with you. I probably should have said (and Kev) players at a similar experience. The players you listed are all similar ages but have played a lot of men's football. He is/was basically coming in as an equivalent to a youth player. That's the kind of terms we would offer a youth player, with added incentives. We wouldn't offer Walker such a deal as he's an established player.

Anyway, this ship has well and truly sailed and I guess it shows the desperation of signing a CAM that this unproven player is getting such attention and air time. We'd never ordinarily be talking so much about a player that played a few games for Oxford City.

One hopes that the irons in the fire will come into fruition and talk of this potential transfer will well and truly be a thing of the past.

This is the thing, some may not agree with it, but just imagine we made an exception to the rule with him and all the other younger players in the squad wasn't shown the same exception. That would definitely kick up division in the club.
Absolutely, and the price we could pay for that would be massive.

Our transfer business is bit slow and sluggish...... bit disappointed we haven't added to the squad now but there still time to rectify that. We clearly need another 3 signings to make us competitive at the top end of this league. I guess it all comes down to how ambitious the new owners are and where they see Southend united going forward.

All players worry about this which the reason so few want to sign short term deals let alone the notorious pay as you play deals we occasionally fantasise about on here. Players are people and do have bills to pay like everyone else.
If the player is worried because of recent injury issues wouldnā€™t it make a potential employer very worried ? I think we may have dodged a bullet with Pedder. Time will tell. It looked like we gave up on Sam Barrett too quickly at one time but letting him go looks a reasonable decision now. How many signings with a recent record of injuries have worked out for us ? The percentage successes against failures must make it a very poor bet.

Our transfer business is bit slow and sluggish...... bit disappointed we haven't added to the squad now but there still time to rectify that. We clearly need another 3 signings to make us competitive at the top end of this league. I guess it all comes down to how ambitious the new owners are and where they see Southend united going forward.
I don't think it does come down to how ambitious the new owners are. I'm sure they are ambitious, but that ambition has to exist within a sensible business model and a reasonable budget while they also invest in other, much neglected areas of the club.

What it will mean is canny recruitment at the best value we can afford. That will always take longer than spending money we don't have.

I would say COSU are ambitious, after all they are all Southend United supporters. Didn't help that we couldn't be active in the Transfer Market for a number of weeks at completely the wrong time.

The playing side is important without doubt, but we also play in a Stadium that is in dire need of some TLC. Everything needs to happen yesterday, but unfortunately in the real world that doesn't happen.

Just a shame the way the fixtures have fallen, we have to play sides we need to be taking points off straightaway. We will be okay, once a bit more depth is added to the squad. Fingers and toes crossed we don't pick up any injuries in the next couple of weeks.

If the player is worried because of recent injury issues wouldnā€™t it make a potential employer very worried ? I think we may have dodged a bullet with Pedder. Time will tell. It looked like we gave up on Sam Barrett too quickly at one time but letting him go looks a reasonable decision now. How many signings with a recent record of injuries have worked out for us ? The percentage successes against failures must make it a very poor bet.
Oh not saying we didnā€™t make the correct decision. At the same time understand why it didnā€™t work for either partyā€¦although in hindsight I think he may feel he made a mistake

Back