• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
For me then
1 x Gk (Assuming Hillson is not permanent)
2 x Attacking midfielder
1 x Forward

I guess with Pedder there must be a concern over his injury record, especially given itā€™s his hamstring which I believe from comments on here was a serous injury last season. We canā€™t afford in our position to sign players who spend 90% of the season on the treatment table. We will have to wait to see how this pans out I guess

Keep seeing a lot about strengthening in midfield, I humbly disagree. We need a couple of players of the like that York bought on, a Sinclair, Nathaniel George etc. a player that runs at the opposition, weā€™re too static in and out of possession and donā€™t ever get in behind teams.

We were defensive. Quite rightly so. There mode of play run us ragged.
Did not see Bridge run one flanking attack.
Caldwell expected to make use of high balls.
Waldren and Walker broke forward but fluffed their inter passes. They will work well when more confident.
The current players will work out OK when we get stuck into the teams with lesser ability.
Hope we can keep the high attendance.

Maher said after yesterdays game that we still want 3 or 4 more through the door, so there certainly must be something left.
I have a feeling that whole interview was already a "sending a message to the board" type of vibe. Was quite a strong statement from Kev, considering its day 1. Pretty negative.

A couple of things I noticed from yesterday. More often than not there was quite a gap between the front pair and the midfield. Made it very hard to consistently press well. We really do need someone able to play in that area. York seemed to defend very deep in the 1st half, which may have contributed to the difficulties.

I don't believe for one minute the playing budget has been used up and agree we are in desperate of a midfield player who is comfortable playing further forward and able to dictate the pace of the game. Noor Husin is a big miss though, but hopefully will be fit soon.

We are a few weeks behind, not an excuse but fact. Inadequate training facilities and a Transfer Embargo, which might or might not have hindered recruitment ,would have played a part.

Interestingly Ollie Pearce who was mentioned as a possible target didn't particularly impress for York. Another part timer, becoming full time and finding it hard perhaps ?

Some on here have questioned the strength of the friendlies but York's last pre season matches were Garnforth and Spennymoor. Not very different from ours.

All in all I would say a point gained yesterday, can't see York not being involved in the promotion race.

A couple of things I noticed from yesterday. More often than not there was quite a gap between the front pair and the midfield. Made it very hard to consistently press well. We really do need someone able to play in that area. York seemed to defend very deep in the 1st half, which may have contributed to the difficulties.

I don't believe for one minute the playing budget has been used up and agree we are in desperate of a midfield player who is comfortable playing further forward and able to dictate the pace of the game. Noor Husin is a big miss though, but hopefully will be fit soon.

We are a few weeks behind, not an excuse but fact. Inadequate training facilities and a Transfer Embargo, which might or might not have hindered recruitment ,would have played a part.

Interestingly Ollie Pearce who was mentioned as a possible target didn't particularly impress for York. Another part timer, becoming full time and finding it hard perhaps ?

Some on here have questioned the strength of the friendlies but York's last pre season matches were Garnforth and Spennymoor. Not very different from ours.

All in all I would say a point gained yesterday, can't see York not being involved in the promotion race.
The only point I would make about the pre-season schedule is York played 7 friendlies between the 13th of July and 3rd August. Games included matches against Sheffield United, Grimsby & Notts Country and strong lower league opposition in Darlington, Whitby & Spennymoor all of which would have given some of our opponents a run for their money. York were able to give their squad more match time under their belts then we did with ours, but then again they had a squad to facilitate the schedule.

I have my opinion and today was way offā€¦ we canā€™t get deals over the line why?? Everyone else seems to? Even the keeper today was probably 3rd or 4th choice itā€™s not good enough! But donā€™t doubt my commitment Iā€™m going Hartlepool next week just stating facts
Does the fact that you joined on Wednesday mean you have no understanding of whatā€™s happened to the club in recent years? The club has got to build up trust and confidence with players and agents who will either have been stung or donā€™t have the in depth knowledge yet of new owners but have heard that we are a financial basket case in the media. And even top prem clubs can lose out on targets if interest appears from elsewhere or they delay on them if factors like injuries need more checking out than fans ever know. We could alternatively go back to the days when we get deals over the line like we did under Phil Brown.

Iā€™m keeping clear of the pointless arguments on hereā€¦however I do think we are very lightweight in the midfield, in particular in the more advanced areas. This isnā€™t new news and I really hope that Maher has his eyes on at least a couple more in these positions. Cav, Coker, Noor and Morton are all talented players but add very little in the attacking third. Without strengthening there I can see us going nowhere fast this season.

Defensively and in attack we are strong but ultimately will be let down by a lack of ambition if we donā€™t bring in attacking midfield options.

The only point I would make about the pre-season schedule is York played 7 friendlies between the 13th of July and 3rd August. Games included matches against Sheffield United, Grimsby & Notts Country and strong lower league opposition in Darlington, Whitby & Spennymoor all of which would have given some of our opponents a run for their money. York were able to give their squad more match time under their belts then we did with ours, but then again they had a squad to facilitate the schedule.

Great Wakering are 4 levels below, Bishops Stortford and Canvey 2 levels below, Chelmsford one level below.

The likes of Aveley, Hornchurch, Maidstone, Hampton and Richmond, Tonbridge, Chesham, Welling, Enfield Town are all at Chelmsfordā€™s level and I think weā€™d have benefited from playing a couple more games against teams at that level.

Great Wakering are 4 levels below, Bishops Stortford and Canvey 2 levels below, Chelmsford one level below.

The likes of Aveley, Hornchurch, Maidstone, Hampton and Richmond, Tonbridge, Chesham, Welling, Enfield Town are all at Chelmsfordā€™s level and I think weā€™d have benefited from playing a couple more games against teams at that level.
Wouldn't disagree with you on that, although again for this season we come back to the issue of squad size and the need for a cautious protective exposure to key players from Kev's perspective, a canter not a gallop so to speak. Would hope that for next season the Club will have a more robust approach to pre-season, I think they will, well they definitely should be in a position to do so anyway!

Conor Wilkinson spotted at Walsallā€™s game yesterday. Rumours of him re-signing there

View attachment 33382
Sorry, was my youngests sons 1st birthday yesterday.

Iā€™m expecting one, possibly two to be announced today. Everyone can work out the one.

I have the name of the league one goalkeeper, however the goalkeeping situation is ever changing, so Iā€™m not expecting it to be him that comes through the door.

As for the centre forward, I havenā€™t got the name yet, but I have had a couple of names on this thread ruled out.
Could be one of the names 'ruled out' as per BoyWonder2 post yesterday.

I don't think he was ever a target.
Sounds about right to me, obviously a good signing at NL but undoubtedly will have interest higher up the pyramid, also cost and style of the player, does he fit for us? Is he what we really need now? Personally hoping for someone who is more Striker than Forward, well we can but hope anyway šŸ˜€šŸ¤ž

Back