• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
Not at full tilt. Noor trained too, but he isnā€™t available for selection.

This is another account is it Pete? Or should I say Transferguru? Or should I use your real name?
What are you on about itā€™s not all about you on here is it? You just said you didnā€™t even go!! Everyone is entitled to his opinion but with you itā€™s like itā€™s only yours that counts?

What are you on about itā€™s not all about you on here is it? You just said you didnā€™t even go!! Everyone is entitled to his opinion but with you itā€™s like itā€™s only yours that counts?

I said I didnā€™t go today.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, of course. Iā€™m just correcting a few things you have wrong, or are misinterpreting. Enjoy the rest of your evening Pete.

I didnā€™t see the game, so canā€™t comment on the performance. Before the game I felt a point would be a good result, so not overly disappointed, but obviously feels worse when you concede late.

If we wanted to sign someone tomorrow, we could. But that person might not be the required quality, character, position, personality or whatever. But finding the types of players that tick all the boxes isnā€™t as easy as it is on football manager.

We signed Hillson as he has been training with us, he is available, and happy to help at the minute. Itā€™s a deal that suits both parties. He is getting a wage, coaching and so forth. We get cover in a position that needs it.

If we agree terms with another keeper we think is the answer, Hillson and us will part ways. However, he may prove to be the answer, and this allows us to keep a closer eye on him. He is training with us, and if he is the answer, he gets put onto a ā€œproperā€ contract. Also, if he gets an offer elsewhere, he is able to walk away.

For now, it suits all parties.
Hold on youā€™ve been telling us all for the e last two years about this white board thatā€™s got every 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th choice player that the management team want ā€¦ now you
Are suggesting itā€™s about finding players that fit the club ā€¦. ( remember that little white board you are so vocal to tell us about ) you canā€™t have your cake and eat it son

We know the budget is lower this season than last. We don't know how much by. Every player had a new contract, presumably with a rise?
Most players got a rise and we signed Josh Walker who won't be cheap. Our budget I think was Ā£1.4m but they wanted to reduce that. I thought they said by 20%?

Other than that the playing budget has been mostly used up already?
If this is the issue then it may be that the budget is sensible but itā€™s not being used wiselyā€¦regrettablyā€¦

For example in midfield where we have a number of similar players who you can interchange with pretty much the same result, but little creativity or real attacking threat. Groundhog Day. In fact losing Fonguck looked today like a step backwards.

That said Kev highlighted after the game the 7 subs and 5 usable made a real difference today pointing to Yorks strength in depth, and another three or four in the stands. York were able to change the game from the bench. We were able to offer more of the same.

Kevā€™s comment about needing more bodies in hopefully indicates some reasonable budget remaining.

Last edited:
Most players got a rise and we signed Josh Walker who won't be cheap. Our budget I think was Ā£1.4m but they wanted to reduce that. I thought they said by 20%?
A Ā£1.1m playing budget might keep us in this league but likely nowhere near the EFL. And the EFL is the only place where we have a chance of financial viabilityā€¦ there are no easy decisionsā€¦.

There is a certainly a measure of conjecture being expressed tonight. What is fact is COSU set a budget for transfers and contracts. What we are not aware of is just how set in stone it is? If for argument sake the budget has already been reached it doesn't mean that COSU would not revise it if they felt it was financially viable to do so. I am sure that if the board is in agreement then funds could be made available which no doubt would require additional external funding into the Club. We certainly don't know that this would happen but equally we certainly don't know it wouldn't! I don't think Kev and John Still would be kept in the dark or left working on unattainable recruitment. Remember we have multi owners who have already shown that they work collectively when it comes to the Club financials and for the Club's sake, unlike our previous ownership. I don't believe our transfer business is done yet!

yep i said i had a bad feeling about this game, and already the nit pickers are about and seems targeting Boy Wonder 2. Some off you need to step back in your expectations, this was never going to be a quick fix, you dont repair all the damage the Rat did overnight ,but what i can comprehend at present is things are being done, but one of the most important playing and training wise will take time and that the new training ground, take a step back people in your expectations it will happen but very much doubt this season as i have stated before .

You were absolutely right. They were keeping quiet because sod all had happened in the transfers department!

Hillson was very welcome news, but a sub keeper is hardly likely to make Hinshelwood throw his tactical plans in the bin.
no keeper coming in would make a manager change his tactical plans, its creative midfielders ,hard nut midfielders and attackers that will most likely make a manager think twice.

Having watched the game today I'm not convinced an attacking mid or different striker would have made much of a difference. For 3/4 of the game we had 5 in defence which meant we kept hitting the ball long for knock downs which rarely came off. I don't remember any wing work and crosses into the box for a forward. With our midfield playing deep and mostly anonymous in the game I think it's 2 midfielders we need that can receive a ball, make space and pick a pass forwards.

Hold on youā€™ve been telling us all for the e last two years about this white board thatā€™s got every 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th choice player that the management team want ā€¦ now you
Are suggesting itā€™s about finding players that fit the club ā€¦. ( remember that little white board you are so vocal to tell us about ) you canā€™t have your cake and eat it son

Surely itā€™s always been about fitting the club?

The management have targets for EVERY position, not just the ones that need filling, so if we were to lose someone through a sale, long term injury or anything else we have people lined up.

Take goalkeeper for example. The way Kev wants us to play is by playing out from the back, so we need a goalkeeper comfortable with their feet. So this goalkeeper needs to have characteristics that we require. JS and his army can draw up a list of goalkeepers who fit this. Kev might have a few names himself as well. Then you look into the character of the person, his personality, etc etc. we might then have to rule players out because of this. They might not fit the ethos. Look at Ben White with England, very talented but doesnā€™t like football, that didnā€™t fit with Southgate and co. Youā€™ve also seen players, mainly in Spain, have been released from contracts or havenā€™t signed for clubs because of their social media postings. I donā€™t think we look years back on that for example.

As I say, we could sign someone today if we wanted. There are hundreds of players out of contract, but all these things have to be considered, and obviously their quality is one thing. It would be easy to sign a player released by Southend Manor for example, but he wonā€™t be of the required quality.

The players we have added are all of that quality. Gubbins played League Two last season, Walker played in League One and has scored plenty of goals at this level. Wind is a very promising player with over 100 appearances.

I know we need back up in all areas but we had a very good defence last year and that seems to be where we have prioritised signing more players. I am not knocking our managment staff but with Wes gone and Husin injured i would of thought that would of been our priority to get the midfield strengthened and to add some flare there as at times last season we knew we lacked it. That is one area we must add to pronto as atm all we seem to have is defensive players in that area. I apologise if i offend any of you but our set up and the way we play atm is boring and very predictable.

If you look at yesterdays starting 11 we had 5 defenders and two of our midfield holding defenders , Bridge out of position and two forwards with little or no service, basically no attacking midfield, it is no wonder we struggle to attack with any gusto at all.

Last edited:
I know we need back up in all areas but we had a very good defence last year and that seems to be where we have prioritised signing more players. I am not knocking our managment staff but with Wes gone and Husin injured i would of thought that would of been our priority to get the midfield strengthened and to add some flare there as at times last season we knew we lacked it. That is one area we must add to pronto as atm all we seem to have is defensive players in that area. I apologise if i offend any of you but our set up and the way we play atm is boring and very predictable.

If you look at yesterdays starting 11 we had 5 defenders and two of our midfield holding defenders , Bridge out of position and two forwards with little or no service, basically no attacking midfield, it is no wonder we struggle to attack with any gusto at all.
Nah youā€™re spot on. All the talk of Tshminga (can never spell it!) - donā€™t think would have changed anything if we had him in the team yesterday.

We desperately need someone who can break the lines and join in with front two. That player was Wes and Iā€™m in the minority group of fans that rated his contribution. We missed him and Bridge is NOT the answer, no matter how many times Kev tries to put him there.

Iā€™d rather budget went into a creative attacking midfielder than a striker for now.

Other than that the playing budget has been mostly used up already?
Now that would be a worry. Know Kev prefers a smaller squad, but to use up the budget and only have 18 first team players, including one on non-contract terms, seems to be mad.

Back