• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The State of Roots Hall

Southend United fans in bid to get Roots Hall ready for new season​

15 mins ago
SOUTHEND UNITED FC
FOOTBALL
SPORT

By Chris Phillips@cjphillips1982Chief sports reporter
No Comments
Working hard - Southend United supporters at Roots Hall (Image: NICKY HAYES)

SOUTHEND United supporters have rallied together in a bid to get Roots Hall ready for the start of the new National League season.

More than 150 fans gathered together today to clean all areas of the ground.
And event organiser Lawrence Austin was blown away by the response he received after first suggesting the idea on social media.
“It’s an unbelievable turn-out,” said the lifelong Blues fan.
“We’ve had at least 165 people turn out and I just wasn’t expecting that at all.

“Everyone was pulling together and just working so hard.
“I didn’t see one person shirking a job and it was humbling to see this happening after just one little tweet I put out.
“The community really came together for this and I think everyone was on the same sheet with it.
“It shows just how many people really do care for this club.”

The Shrimpers are due to kick off the season at home to Oldham Athletic on Saturday but it has yet to be confirmed where the match will be taking place.
Blues have until 5pm on Monday to get the safety certificate needed to host the game and remain in a perilous position financially.
The Shrimpers have been in a a transfer embargo since September and will therefore start the season with just 16 contracted players.
Chairman Ron Martin - who continues to insist the club is up for sale - remains an unpopular figure among the fanbase.

But supporters at Roots Hall were keen to stress their support for the club.
Chris Nice, who worked alongside Austin in setting up the event, said: “We can’t do anything about embargoes, HMRC or players not being paid but we can help with this.
“I know there’s a lot of talk online about why are you doing this but could you imagine if we got through these financial difficulties and the ground wasn’t up to scratch.

“It would be heartbreaking.”
And Nice was also keen to help ensure fans could enjoy watching matches from Roots Hall.
"When you bring your family and kids to a game and tell them about coming here when you were a kid you don’t want their first experience to be a broken seat or one covered in muck,” said Nice.
“We feel proud of our club and you want their experience to be good so they want to come back
"We’re pleased just to be able to do something to help the club.”

And those sentiments were echoed by 16-year-old Sam Herrington, who got the train from South Woodham Ferrers to take part.
He said: "I just want to help the club and do whatever is needed for us to be ready for the new season.
"I've got a season ticket in the West Stand now and wanted to come down at help, even though my mate didn't come with me!
"I just hope the game can go ahead on Saturday."

Braintree was mentioned on an Oldham site as an alternative to a reversed fixture . Don't know where that suggestion came from although they are away next Saturday.
Ron will have an enormous boner if he reads your post. His eyes will spin round like the wheels on a one armed bandit as he computes the possibilities of a more permanent arrangement….

Braintree’ s stadium only holds just over 4000 fans, maybe you could reverse the fixture so play away to Oldham the 1st game, not ideal but might be a better solution if the pitch is deemed unplayable.

Brilliant well done to all who helped today. Unfortunately just too far to go for me. However, just a thought could we not encourage people to take home their own rubbish, rather than leave it behind. Might help a little and every little helps. Little bits of food left will only further encourage foxes and vermin. Only a thought.
If only people did that generally then everywhere would be a better place. Unfortunately the majority of people just don’t!

But yes, well done to all who attended today.

Two things stand out from this. One .. we have amazing fans who care about the club and community. Any prospective owner or investor MUST see this and be encouraged by it. Two .. how the hell has our ground been allowed to have got into this awful, dishevelled state. It’s heartbreaking.
It is mate, I sat in the NB at one point and just looked around at all that was going on and the work being done by our great fans. Just a shame there weren’t more as there was so much more to do. Heartbreaking doesn’t even touch the surface

So. Back to square one re new buyer.. we don't know if anyone else is a real option and how far along they are. Sad and depressing state of affairs. Reading about the state of the place, we don't have a home either way.. disgusting situation to be in. Ron, only you to blame. Your pride is bigger than your ego. Rubbish.
I honestly don’t think he is going anywhere. I wouldn’t even be surprised if he doesn’t pay the tax on the 23rd and we get a 10 point penalty, he simply doesn’t give a ****.

That pitch looks awful
It’s dreadful mate. Kev said it was laid to late due to money, fertiliser put on to late due to money. It’s around 2-3 weeks behind. There are lines all over with sand showing through as it’s not knitted together yet. As for the fox holes, I counted at least 10 but sure there were more

That pitch is absolutely embarrassing and no surprise Kev doesn’t want any of the lads playing on it.

Genuinely, a lot of Essex Senior pitches are better. Absolutely disgraceful yet again. But not a surprise as again it was left far too late and not enough money provided by the owner to do even a semi decent job.

Looks like it needs a fair bit of work next week to get it playable. I imagine Oldham and their officials won’t be happy with it either. For many reasons, the game needs switching In my opinion. But that’s down to the authorities to decide tomorrow.
Agreed

That pitch is absolutely embarrassing and no surprise Kev doesn’t want any of the lads playing on it.

Genuinely, a lot of Essex Senior pitches are better. Absolutely disgraceful yet again. But not a surprise as again it was left far too late and not enough money provided by the owner to do even a semi decent job.

Looks like it needs a fair bit of work next week to get it playable. I imagine Oldham and their officials won’t be happy with it either. For many reasons, the game needs switching In my opinion. But that’s down to the authorities to decide tomorrow.
Seconded.

Essex Senior League is generous mate.

We're Sunday League.

Maybe the game on Saturday will be announced as taking place at Roots Hall but the match referee may call it off as the pitch is unplayable. Could suit us to play later in the season and if its a referee decision presumably won't cost us a fine or points? Maybe someone knows the National League rules in this case?

Shame Ron didn’t come even if here faced flak to say “ Thank you” then went or even to send some goodies didn’t have to say who from ( Maybe he )
Still you wouldn’t expect any difference from him

Maybe the game on Saturday will be announced as taking place at Roots Hall but the match referee may call it off as the pitch is unplayable. Could suit us to play later in the season and if its a referee decision presumably won't cost us a fine or points? Maybe someone knows the National League rules in this case?
First two paragraphs below are important I think. Depends if the league think it is “just cause” in my opinion. If they don’t think it does, seems like they can be as harsh as they fancy to me.

57F222E6-6B8F-48CD-913C-E5955A3BA2FC.jpeg

Back