• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
I put this in the Newport game memory thread.

That was certainly a thing in those days. It started off with cushions being piled up near the East Stand turnstiles after entering, so those that wanted one, grabbed one. But so many got thrown onto the pitch, normally when things were going bad, or a bad ref's decision, after a bad loss, and sometimes in celebration like you, that they started charging for them. I didn't go in the East Stand very much at that time, only about 1 game a Season. But I'm sure they had a little cushion hut in the end, and you paid a small fee, but a bigger deposit that was returned on safe return of the cushions. And that stopped them being thrown onto the pitch.
Got me thinking now. I know many find the seats at Roots Hall very uncomfortable. I wonder if a fee and deposit for cushions would work nowadays? So ending up costing a fan maybe £3 per game to use a cushion, deposit returned. All money goes to help the clubs finances. It would bring in many thousands of pounds a season. It it was a concession hut, I wouldn't use one, but if the money went to the club, I would definitely. And I'm sure many fans would feel the same. Watch the game in a little bit more comfort, and help the club out at the same.

I put this in the Newport game memory thread.

That was certainly a thing in those days. It started off with cushions being piled up near the East Stand turnstiles after entering, so those that wanted one, grabbed one. But so many got thrown onto the pitch, normally when things were going bad, or a bad ref's decision, after a bad loss, and sometimes in celebration like you, that they started charging for them. I didn't go in the East Stand very much at that time, only about 1 game a Season. But I'm sure they had a little cushion hut in the end, and you paid a small fee, but a bigger deposit that was returned on safe return of the cushions. And that stopped them being thrown onto the pitch.
Got me thinking now. I know many find the seats at Roots Hall very uncomfortable. I wonder if a fee and deposit for cushions would work nowadays? So ending up costing a fan maybe £3 per game to use a cushion, deposit returned. All money goes to help the clubs finances. It would bring in many thousands of pounds a season. It it was a concession hut, I wouldn't use one, but if the money went to the club, I would definitely. And I'm sure many fans would feel the same. Watch the game in a little bit more comfort, and help the club out at the same.
That’s actually quite a good idea and I seem to have some vague recollection of it hidden away in my grey matter

In commentary on Tuesday CP talked about AFC Flyde's ground and said something to the effect of Southend could look at AFC Flyde have done here when rebuilding the east stand. I've just looked at their ground and I hope we don't.

It's lovely, very tidy. But it's also quite modern and generic. Soulless is the word I think gets thrown around often.

As hard as it is for me to say 'Look at what Liverpool did with Anfield', because their budget is in a whole other world to ours but you can look at the stands they've developed and still recognise it. They've been sympathetic to what's already there. I hope we do the same.

In commentary on Tuesday CP talked about AFC Flyde's ground and said something to the effect of Southend could look at AFC Flyde have done here when rebuilding the east stand. I've just looked at their ground and I hope we don't.

It's lovely, very tidy. But it's also quite modern and generic. Soulless is the word I think gets thrown around often.

As hard as it is for me to say 'Look at what Liverpool did with Anfield', because their budget is in a whole other world to ours but you can look at the stands they've developed and still recognise it. They've been sympathetic to what's already there. I hope we do the same.
Said that at the time in the match thread!

I think Chris was talking about their main stand which has seems to have two rows of boxes/banquetting and other facilities for commercial, year round use as a potential model for our replacement East Stand.

The down side is that it only has a capacity of 2000 (too small for our new East Stand I would suggest) and also, I understand, has a lack of mushrooms in the toilets!

mill-farm-afc-fylde-main-west-stand-1578342271.jpg.webp

I think Chris was talking about their main stand which has seems to have two rows of boxes/banquetting and other facilities for commercial, year round use as a potential model for our replacement East Stand.

The down side is that it only has a capacity of 2000 (too small for our new East Stand I would suggest) and also, I understand, has a lack of mushrooms in the toilets!

View attachment 34021
Yes definitely CP was referring to the infrastructure they have non pitch side, he definitely would not be advocating a main stand capacity that low!

Interesting comments from Justin and Tom Arnold on the Shrimperscast podcast that’s come out today.

Few bits that stood out.

1) The introduction of a fanzone seems to have paused, only because they want to make sure they get it right for longer term and not waste a bunch of money.
2) The amount of money we get from Ron to help pay for redevelopment ranges from £7m-£12m depending on the outcome of Fossetts and the deal the council eventually signs with Ron
3) East stand development is likely to be the last thing they do
4) Both Justin and Tom see a new, bigger “Kop” style North Bank for home fans as the ideal scenario
5) The plan, for now, has an average gate of 7300 built in to it………

Interesting comments from Justin and Tom Arnold on the Shrimperscast podcast that’s come out today.

Few bits that stood out.

1) The introduction of a fanzone seems to have paused, only because they want to make sure they get it right for longer term and not waste a bunch of money.
2) The amount of money we get from Ron to help pay for redevelopment ranges from £7m-£12m depending on the outcome of Fossetts and the deal the council eventually signs with Ron
3) East stand development is likely to be the last thing they do
4) Both Justin and Tom see a new, bigger “Kop” style North Bank for home fans as the ideal scenario
5) The plan, for now, has an average gate of 7300 built in to it………
And that's just to keep the losses at around £1.7m p/a.

What was our average last year?
When he first said that number my gut said “that’s too high” - maybe because we’ve lost two on the bounce…
It feels too high to me as well. Think we will need to be knocking about at the top table to get anywhere near it

And that's just to keep the losses at around £1.7m p/a.
Would a cup run and then a tie away against away at one of the big boys earn us around £1m for split gate receipts you reckon? 60,000 punters at £30 average ticket… if so shows how big that is for smaller clubs and the crying shame of the replays being cut.

What was our average last year?
When he first said that number my gut said “that’s too high” - maybe because we’ve lost two on the bounce…
Around 6,500, I think.

They've also factored in that the average could go up or down.
Yep, there is a better case and a worst case scenario in there, I think.

Really?

Thought a lower wage bill, reduced legal costs, reduced late interest payments etc was supposed to bring losses down pretty quickly to maybe £1m p/a??? £1.7m feels like not making a dent.
It is making a dent, because it would be a reduction of several hundred grand on the previous loss figures.

Would a cup run and then a tie away against away at one of the big boys earn us around £1m for split gate receipts you reckon? 60,000 punters at £30 average ticket… if so shows how big that is for smaller clubs and the crying shame of the replays being cut.
Yep, I'm sure a cup run has been modelled too. Obviously can't be relied upon though.

Back