• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
If we are in the EFL at that time, you'd need to plan it carefully, as every club is obliged to provide a minimum of 200 covered seats whatever is going on in the ground.
We'd better get the plans in quickly then.
Am I also correct in thinking that we have to give away fan a certain quota of seats, depending on the capacity of the stadium.

Erm, in all of this excitement has anyone thought of how we are going to include and incorporate the statue of Rat Martin in these plans, he does “f-ing love the club you idiots” so it’s only right we honour him and his grand gesture saving the club.

*for avoidance of doubt and to ensure no one thinks I am being serious, I am being sarcastic with the comment above.

Does anyone think as part of the redevelopment we might sell the naming rights for the stadium? Weren’t we looking to do something similar with the new training ground?

Erm, in all of this excitement has anyone thought of how we are going to include and incorporate the statue of Rat Martin in these plans, he does “f-ing love the club you idiots” so it’s only right we honour him and his grand gesture saving the club.

*for avoidance of doubt and to ensure no one thinks I am being serious, I am being sarcastic with the comment above.
The rumour is that as part of the agreement a significant portion of the £20m will go to an upsized version of those automatic water fountains that slide the turf away and spring out from beneath, with a life size version of our foregone king popping up from the centre spot between plays.

Respectfully, the bloke you are patronising does this for a living.

If it was that easy to think of ways of segregating home and away support, perhaps more people would do it for a living?

Assume you are some sort of crowd control expert?

How did you get i was being patronising from that post, :)

I have heard of Sheirf H standing, and was certainly not patronising the Gentleman's posts or his proffanalism on such matters.

You say that if it was easy, everyone would be doing it for a living, but Smithy on post 139 has put forward a good idea, weather it will work or not, i don't know.

as i am just a mere passionate fan of this club putting my point of view forward without being patronising IMO.

Also, i have no experience in crowed control, as i'm just a Sparks by trade.

Does anyone think as part of the redevelopment we might sell the naming rights for the stadium? Weren’t we looking to do something similar with the new training ground?
I seriously hope the naming rights will be done carefully and considerately. You don't want them changing every couple of seasons. A long term project that benefits the club, the naming rights partner and the community would be the best fit. Especially with a hopeful community owned (or part owned) stadium project.

I seriously hope the naming rights will be done carefully and considerately. You don't want them changing every couple of seasons. A long term project that benefits the club, the naming rights partner and the community would be the best fit. Especially with a hopeful community owned (or part owned) stadium project.
Yep I agree don’t want to be known as the Martin Dawn stadium for 10 years.

But all joking aside, I do think in order to help fund some of the running costs, redevelopment etc that we will sell naming rights, but i hope as you say it’s with a long term plan and a partner that we can work with to help enhance the connection to the community overall.

Forgive my **** drawing @Sherif H but would this be possible?

Away fans enter via Fairfax Drive (green lines)

Home fans enter via East stand car park (Blue lines)

Red lines are gates/fences for segregation. Most of which are already in situ.

Away fans get the NW corner section marked A. Must be c.800-1000 seats in there?

We get the entire North Bank (Blue H) up to the just before the corner flag?.

I'm sure there are turnstiles for this away section already there next to where the red line is at the back of the NB, there's a large exit down the slope and stairs up to the NW corner already there from memory. Stick a fence across next to the stairs and job is a good'un?

Will need work obviously, plus toilets and a mobile catering unit out the back. But to me this is the most realistic solution?

We get the NB back (worth a number of extra points over the season with increased atmosphere) and the away fans get the ****test view and atmosphere. Winner winner!

View attachment 29275
Something like this from the inside. @Sherif H

Red lines being the segregation fences and green lines the entrance/exit points for away fans.

Not sure of the numbers in that yellow and blue section (half of X if needed) probably 700+ but its more than enough for 99% of clubs visiting us, certainly now.

If we do manage to climb the leagues, then the ground work is already there to switch it back around if greater away capacity is needed. I reckon that NW corner will cater for most clubs to League One level (bar the big ones) to be honest.

NW.jpg

Be interesting to see what the intended capacity and plan is .If you look at the Spammers they certainly didn't on paper need a stadium over 40 k ,but due to the taxpayers funding their move suddenly have an extra 20k supporters.Gates are up in the Efl and if you look at the averages in L1 / 2 a 10k capacity is stunting the growth of the potential fan base .We regularly had gates above that in the old div 4 1960s and in the last championship era averaged that and turned away potential supporters .In that time the catchment area has grown substantially Will certainly in the future make a change to have some away support again as the last 3 home have totalled barely 100......all that lost revenue doesn't help our plight at the moment

How did you get i was being patronising from that post, :)

I have heard of Sheirf H standing, and was certainly not patronising the Gentleman's posts or his proffanalism on such matters.

You say that if it was easy, everyone would be doing it for a living, but Smithy on post 139 has put forward a good idea, weather it will work or not, i don't know.

as i am just a mere passionate fan of this club putting my point of view forward without being patronising IMO.

Also, i have no experience in crowed control, as i'm just a Sparks by trade.
**** me. That's a new one!

Forgive my **** drawing @Sherif H but would this be possible?

Away fans enter via Fairfax Drive (green lines)

Home fans enter via East stand car park (Blue lines)

Red lines are gates/fences for segregation. Most of which are already in situ.

Away fans get the NW corner section marked A. Must be c.800-1000 seats in there?

We get the entire North Bank (Blue H) up to the just before the corner flag?.

I'm sure there are turnstiles for this away section already there next to where the red line is at the back of the NB, there's a large exit down the slope and stairs up to the NW corner already there from memory. Stick a fence across next to the stairs and job is a good'un?

Will need work obviously, plus toilets and a mobile catering unit out the back. But to me this is the most realistic solution?

We get the NB back (worth a number of extra points over the season with increased atmosphere) and the away fans get the ****test view and atmosphere. Winner winner!

View attachment 29275
In my mind, you split the North Bank in half, between home and away - whether you segregate that as per your drawing, or reverse it, both are possible in theory, but the Police would probably prefer self-contained entrance routes to away turnstiles. Likelihood is that, for all but the highest category games, that split will be enough.
There might be times however where overspill might be needed, and you'd need to look at displacing fans from the North in to the South Lower, hence my thoughts about just making that a de-facto home/singing area.

Be interesting to see what the intended capacity and plan is .If you look at the Spammers they certainly didn't on paper need a stadium over 40 k ,but due to the taxpayers funding their move suddenly have an extra 20k supporters.Gates are up in the Efl and if you look at the averages in L1 / 2 a 10k capacity is stunting the growth of the potential fan base .We regularly had gates above that in the old div 4 1960s and in the last championship era averaged that and turned away potential supporters .In that time the catchment area has grown substantially Will certainly in the future make a change to have some away support again as the last 3 home have totalled barely 100......all that lost revenue doesn't help our plight at the moment
To be fair, if you gave the majority of the smaller Clubs in the PL a 60k stadium, and lower ticket prices to that of a National League Club for a season, you'd attract a hell of a lot of floating support.

West Ham probably not the best example, as we all know that wherever you go, be it domestically or on holiday abroad, you'll always see some fat bloke in a West Ham shirt - they spread everywhere....

Respectfully, the bloke you are patronising does this for a living.

If it was that easy to think of ways of segregating home and away support, perhaps more people would do it for a living?

Assume you are some sort of crowd control expert?
Ramsden more than likely isn't but it's not that difficult to come up with possible solutions to the problem.
For example at a certain 27,000 capacity stadium about 25 miles from here, they have a simple solution.
They separate the supporters with the usual plastic netting (which can be moved depending on the number of away fans that turn up). This also has the advantage of the home club selling any returned tickets the away club couldn't sell. That's the way to fill a stadium.
Oh, I almost forgot, yes the do have a separate entry and exit but when they exit the stand everyone mingles in the car park.

Reactions: TSG
In my mind, you split the North Bank in half, between home and away - whether you segregate that as per your drawing, or reverse it, both are possible in theory, but the Police would probably prefer self-contained entrance routes to away turnstiles. Likelihood is that, for all but the highest category games, that split will be enough.
There might be times however where overspill might be needed, and you'd need to look at displacing fans from the North in to the South Lower, hence my thoughts about just making that a de-facto home/singing area.
I'm with @Smiffy on the desirability front, ideally you'd put the main base of away fans in the NW corner (or NE if that gets built) and give most of the North to the home fans.

No idea what's actually feasible though.

To be fair, if you gave the majority of the smaller Clubs in the PL a 60k stadium, and lower ticket prices to that of a National League Club for a season, you'd attract a hell of a lot of floating support.

West Ham probably not the best example, as we all know that wherever you go, be it dom !estically or on holiday abroad, you'll always see some fat bloke in a West Ham shirt - they spread everywhere....
Are you saying West Ham have a load of floaters !.....We should be aiming for Championship attendances of 20k when planning any revamp of RH this area can support it easily

Another rugby club that has bitten the dust. Not sure if/when they will make a return.
The Warriors rugby union club has gone bust but the little football team is still using the ground I think. They don’t use the main stand though, they use the opposite side which is very non-league. Made a nice backdrop for my photo though!IMG_4851.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: jnl
The splitting of the North Bank does seem the best option, al la Aldershot say, with clear dividing lines. (GYS above mentions plastic netting). I can remember many away games in the past where that's happened, Huddersfield possibly for one.

I believe football support has changed over the years, I live near QPR and on match days all supporters have been seen around the stadium, coming out of White City tube, or Shepherds Bush pubs, and in over 15 years I've not seen any trouble, plenty of noise, but not a punch in sight, not even Millwall, though I tend to stay in when that fixture comes around 😁

The return to the North Bank in some way is paramount for me, and has been made very clear on this forum, for a number of others.

Back