• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
As of tonight. Gives some perspective when comparing to our North Bank.

Looking at that, it would seem to fit perfectly where the north is now. Even the section on the left where the groundsmans but is.

If that could be incorporated all the way round to the west it would be an upgrade on the current north. I'm not sure how much it would cost to remove all of the asbestos from the roof though.

With all due respect to Sherif, who said they were on a tight budget, is it only me who thinks BR's new stand is horrible?

I'm sorry but even if one of the stands at Roots Hall ends up looking like that we will have absolutely no excuse to take the p!$$ out of Col U's Meccano Stadium.

I'm putting my tin hat on now as I type...

I totally agree and I think it looks a bit "Non League" ... so the cap certainly does fit! I'm sure the costs involved are pretty eye watering even for the basic version, esp for a non league club who isn't making any profit.

I think some of you, with all due respect, need to temper your expectations as to what is achievable with a limited budget, particularly when one side of the ground requires major surgery.
Seeing things in the flesh and understanding the context behind why something has been designed a certain way is probably going to become very important as we look to move forward at RH.

I totally agree and I think it looks a bit "Non League" ... so the cap certainly does fit! I'm sure the costs involved are pretty eye watering even for the basic version, esp for a non league club who isn't making any profit.
Funny how a smattering of steel support pillars can totally blinker people's perception of reality.
This is a significant structure - I can't think of many non-league clubs with 24 rows of seats behind a goal.

This is what I’d like to see:

A bigger North bank, with good facilities and safe standing. Made the “home end”

Redesigned West stand with better facilities and sight lines.

Completely rebuilt East stand with corporate/function facilities, sports bar/restaurant. All available 7 days a week.

Whatever can be done with the South stand.

Capacity around 16,000-18,000 achievable?

With all due respect to Sherif, who said they were on a tight budget, is it only me who thinks BR's new stand is horrible?

I'm sorry but even if one of the stands at Roots Hall ends up looking like that we will have absolutely no excuse to take the p!$$ out of Col U's Meccano Stadium.

I'm putting my tin hat on now as I type...
Yeah I do agree. Having so many pillars in the way seems such a backward step. Most of us have spent years fantasising about a clear view, would be so disappointing to have a new stand still with those blinkin’ things in the way.

Funny how a smattering of steel support pillars can totally blinker people's perception of reality.
This is a significant structure - I can't think of many non-league clubs with 24 rows of seats behind a goal.

I don't think the steel support pillars have anything to do with my opinion, not sure where I said that!? 🤣

I’ve not been myself but a quick google shows me that it’s simply a vast improvement, and amazing in the 6 month timescale! This would be ideal for our North.
IMG_4198.jpeg
IMG_4199.jpeg
(Credit: Sherif H, reposted for clear comparsion)

Re the pillars, we can see the new stand (main south bit) has 4 of consequence -again night and day improvement (I lost count on the old one).

Back to RH, I think the north has at least 8 pillars.

As others have said, we need to be realistic given where we are. That’s not to say we can’t and shouldn’t be ambitious; the East long term is where the action will be, something like this is a great place to start.

Last edited:
This is what I’d like to see:

A bigger North bank, with good facilities and safe standing. Made the “home end”

Redesigned West stand with better facilities and sight lines.

Completely rebuilt East stand with corporate/function facilities, sports bar/restaurant. All available 7 days a week.

Whatever can be done with the South stand.

Capacity around 16,000-18,000 achievable?
I think thats how i see the best reality. There must be a way to make the south the away end. Corner in the west (make thst area accessible again) and east so they are all connected and east west and north become linked for home while the south becomes away. North having the seating/standing area and moving back/above the ground behind the north.

I appreciate the access situation for the south but it must be changeable somehow.

As for the look of that new BR stand, imagine it with SUFC written out lengthways on the seats, and some design such as a big scoreboard or the frank walton clock, and it really isnt bad.

Reactions: jnl
Back