• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
With the feck up of Queensway sold for £1, the Kursall, free loans for councillor's family business, the non development of the slumesque town centre flats I have little confidence in SCC being "more formidable" than a fluffy 3 week old rabbit.
Be careful - this is the most fearsome and deadly rodent you’ve ever laid eyes on. He’s a killer.

282B90D2-C4EF-46E1-BB3F-1B318345DA8B.png

See that Bristol R have a new stand with approx 3500 capacity.Could be a similar fit for the north Bank if extended over the rear access road.
Not so keen on the roof and the stanchions View attachment 30043
That is one of my projects. Built to a price, but managed to turn 1400 temporary seats in to 3500 permanent on the same footprint.
It is potentially a smaller footprint than that of the North Bank.

The stanchions reduced the price of the delivery significantly. Besides, we were/are building with a sheer embankment behind the stand, and as such, introducing beams of the depth required to support a cantilevered roof spanning 24 rows of seating would have robbed the Club of a good thousand seats. The brief was to cram in as many seats as possible for the smallest budget possible.

That is one of my projects. Built to a price, but managed to turn 1400 temporary seats in to 3500 permanent on the same footprint.
It is potentially a smaller footprint than that of the North Bank.

The stanchions reduced the price of the delivery significantly. Besides, we were/are building with a sheer embankment behind the stand, and as such, introducing beams of the depth required to support a cantilevered roof spanning 24 rows of seating would have robbed the Club of a good thousand seats. The brief was to cram in as many seats as possible for the smallest budget possible.
Is the Rovers stand not a temporary structure? I thought it was, I may be wrong.

RH could well do with another stand asides the East having sufficient facilities within for catering / toilets. That sort of stand at Rovers think could be ideal.

See that Bristol R have a new stand with approx 3500 capacity.Could be a similar fit for the north Bank if extended over the rear access road.
Not so keen on the roof and the stanchions View attachment 30043
With all due respect to Sherif, who said they were on a tight budget, is it only me who thinks BR's new stand is horrible?

I'm sorry but even if one of the stands at Roots Hall ends up looking like that we will have absolutely no excuse to take the p!$$ out of Col U's Meccano Stadium.

I'm putting my tin hat on now as I type...

...and for those also interested in Portsmouth - Phase 3 of the redevelopment is nearing completion (reprofiling of the away end, installation of 3500 safe-standing rails, and extension of the rear concourse)...

Attachments

• IMG-20231124-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20231124-WA0005.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG-20231124-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20231124-WA0011.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG-20231124-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20231124-WA0013.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG-20231124-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20231124-WA0014.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG-20231124-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20231124-WA0003.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 137
With all due respect to Sherif, who said they were on a tight budget, is it only me who thinks BR's new stand is horrible?

I'm sorry but even if one of the stands at Roots Hall ends up looking like that we will have absolutely no excuse to take the p!$$ out of Col U's Meccano Stadium.

I'm putting my tin hat on now as I type...
It replaced 2 x 20 year old demountable stands covered by marquee roofs.
When you are dealing with a cost that is a quarter of that to build something more traditionally, then you start to understand the mechanics of what we are typically working with at this level.

...and for those also interested in Portsmouth - Phase 3 of the redevelopment is nearing completion (reprofiling of the away end, installation of 3500 safe-standing rails, and extension of the rear concourse)...
Love this. Would we realistically be able to achieve something similar for the North Bank at RH?

It replaced 2 x 20 year old demountable stands covered by marquee roofs.
When you are dealing with a cost that is a quarter of that to build something more traditionally, then you start to understand the mechanics of what we are typically working with at this level.
No I understand what you are saying Sherif H. It's great that we have someone who works in this field and is prepared to share their knowledge. I hope you get to talk officially with the Club about 'redevelopment' once the take over is complete.

I just think that some on here might need to consume a very large slice of humble pie. And not be so smug towards our North Essex neighbours

No I understand what you are saying Sherif H. It's great that we have someone who works in this field and is prepared to share their knowledge. I hope you get to talk officially with the Club about 'redevelopment' once the take over is complete.

I just think that some on here might need to consume a very large slice of humble pie. And not be so smug towards our North Essex neighbours
I've always warned about being smug about Colchester - not least because I worked on it way back when.
However uninspiring the design, every aspect of that stadium is light years ahead of Roots Hall.
Of course, money can't necessarily buy character, but it can buy you proper facilities and good quality sightlines - basically all you need.

I've always warned about being smug about Colchester - not least because I worked on it way back when.
However uninspiring the design, every aspect of that stadium is light years ahead of Roots Hall.
Of course, money can't necessarily buy character, but it can buy you proper facilities and good quality sightlines - basically all you need.

As poor as roots hall is, I'd rather a more traditional stadium that's in the community and close to stations and pubs etc.

For me, the Weston homes is a breeze block arena that is soulless and miles from anywhere.

Facilities over atmosphere is a no from me.

A modernised and safer roots hall is the way forward.

Back